1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seller Etiquette

Discussion in 'General' started by ekraft84, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Turning to the beeb for moral advice. One liners about screwdrivers, Carillo rods, Robby Bobby's personal issues and Pakistan-made suits are encouraged.

Anyway, selling a pedal bike. Pictures posted online of it, with price, etc. etc. Pretty standard.

Potential Buyer 1. Interested in the bike, can't make it over today to look at the bike. He wants to see it first, before committing (no problem there). Also has talked about financing it via Paypal and if I'd have a problem with that. I don't think I would, right?

Potential Buyer 2. Pinged me after Buyer 1. Offers me $100 less than my asking price. Says he will buy it. Doesn't need to see it first. Would come and pick it up when I'm ready.

Potential Buyer 3. Doesn't really count. Texts and says he has cash in hand. Ready if the first two fall through.

I want to be honorable and wait on Buyer 1, but he seems kind of flaky. Buyer 2 is ready to go, wish cash. Am I a jerk for not waiting on Buyer 1, who may or may not be interested, pay the full price or go the lowball-offer route?

Maybe I should I text Buyer 3 back, double the price and see what happens??

There are worse problems to have, but this seems like a Friday beeb topic..

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

1) No.
    2) Do you need the $100?
    3) Do you need that $100?

F@ck him, you're not a bank. Nope, cash talks. Yes, see if he's real or not.

Now, Gimme free shit! :D

Shenanigans, Sweatypants and TLR67 like this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

First come with cash in hand, first serve. No bs waiting and shit. The first guy might try to haglle, you don't know yet. Buyer #2 would be my pick unless #3 shows up first.

badmoon692008 and ekraft84 like this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Cash money talks, Paypal walks.

5. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Money talks. I'd tell buyer one that you have two other solid offers on the bike and he needs to act now or he's missing his chance.

I was on the buyer's end of a similar situation when I bought my last R6. I needed a few days to get the funds in order (transferred money from an online bank to a brick and mortar). He said he had other buyers lined up, so I sent him $500 as a deposit. That made it clear to the seller that I was serious and it bought me the few days that I needed to bring the bike home.

ekraft84 likes this.
  6. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

This

ekraft84 likes this.
  7. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

The only way Buyer 1 gets priority is with a downpayment that has a clear agreed upon end date or payment in full of course.

pscook and ekraft84 like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'd tell buyer #1 that he has 24 hrs to bring cash. Then I'd tell buyer #3 that he's next in line if buyer #1 doesn't take it. Then I'd tell buyer #2 that you got an offer $300 higher than asking so his lowball sight unseen offer is summarily rejected.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Paypal + will call: es muy malo. Maybe video receipt of goods, otherwise buyer can make a claim to Paypal that he never got the bike. Buyer will get money back, you're out bike...

ekraft84 likes this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Buyer one didn't commit, gave reason he couldn't. That means you are not committed either.

11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

tell number 2 to meet you in the middle, if he does, sell it to him.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

2) No, it's not the end of the world.

Want some R1 sprockets?

13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Funny how many people here are all "Fuck em. Put up or shut up. Money talks, [other hard assed cliche]"

Yet every single time I've bought or sold anything through the beeb the buyer/seller has been unreasonably accommodating and often did deals via text/email with goods shipped prior to any money exchange.

Stop talking tough ya softies. You're all nice as shit when it comes down to it. :D

sheepofblue and Lazy Destroyer like this.
  14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Stuff like that it's first person with cash. But if someone is less than an hour away I'll hold it while they travel

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I still remember being gutted when a guy sold a pair of flatslides for a Honda Hawk that I was oogling over, but didn't have the money ready,

Dad said I didn't need them. That didn't help matters .. :D

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I just let Buyer 1 know the news. Awaiting the harshness..

sheepofblue likes this.
  17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

+1

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Depends on what you replied to #1. Did you set a time when he was going to show? If not I would give him a courtesy contact it was sold maybe. I do not hold stuff without a down payment for this exact reason. Maybe a lesson learned for you? And if you give a deposit then it only buys an agreed upon pause in time that is explicit. The minute that passes your deposit is forfeit and the product is for sale. If you beat everyone else with $$$ then your deposit counts toward the purchase.

Your word matters to you more than others or it is not worth much.

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Something is EXTREMELY wrong with you.

Phl218 and brex like this.
  20. I agree with Dave.

Think of it like eBay. Lots of people bid on stuff, but the first person to "Buy it now" gets it.

It doesn't matter who bids first, it matters who pulls the trigger first on buying it.

I have never held anything without a deposit. People will "kick tires" forever, and you can't count on any of that shit.

Cash talks.

If you want to try to be a "good guy" about it, here is your option: Contact buyer 1 and tell him someone else is interested in paying for the bike in full, immediately. Tell him, "since you contacted me first, I will give you the first option to buy the bike...if you are willing to pay in full immediately. If not, then I will have to sell it to someone else".

That way you aren't shitting on him because technically you are giving him first option. But financing it (or holding it) is out of the question.