1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seamless Tranny Coming to a Dealer Near You

Discussion in 'General' started by Prospect, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

......get your minds out of the gutter, you know yourselves.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/yamaha’s-seamless-transmission-plans

[​IMG]

" The patent itself is mind-bogglingly complex – if you’re enough of an expert you can read it here– but the general intention appears to be the same as other seamless transmissions. That means it’s designed to keep a constant flow of power reaching the rear wheel even when you’re in the midst of a gearshift. "

You might think that the quickshift systems that are spreading fast through current production bikes already achieve this, but in reality they still momentarily disconnect drive during shifts. On street bikes, only CVT transmissions as used by scooters and Honda’s dual-clutch DCT system, used on some VFR1200 and NC750 models and the new Gold Wing, actually allow truly seamless drive. The systems used in MotoGP use loads of small pawls inside the gear wheels, which lock and unlock the gears in a 'ratchet' fashion, so you can briefly have two gears engaged at the same time, but the slower gear freewheels on the pawls, meaning there's no interruption in drive at all.

The Yamaha design is intended to avoid the extra weight and the push-button gearshift of Honda’s DCT, instead keeping a normal, hand-controlled clutch and mechanical, foot-operated change. But it allows two gears to be briefly engaged at the same time, so drive is transferred from one to the other without any let-up."

More info on the Visor Down website.

Would you fork lets say 3K more for an R1 with one?

Phl218 likes this.
  2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Nice!

3. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I wonder what the apples-to-apples lap time difference will be?

track wagon likes this.
  4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

So like a mini slipper clutch on each gear. Super cool!

track wagon likes this.
  5. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

[emoji7] Love Stuff like this..so cool that people are able to figure things such as this out. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metalhead, Prospect and track wagon like this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

R1M XLE?

cav115 likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If it's a Yamaha transmission does it come with recalls included?

K51000 and ChemGuy like this.
  8. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Only Suzukis come with recalls as standard equipment. :Poke:

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Mmm pretty sure Yamaha has the record for "we need to remove the engine and replace the transmission" :crackup:

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

:crackup:

BSA43 likes this.
  11. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Nice, figured it was only a matter of time. One more tool for the BluCrew to crush the dreams of SteelToe and his team. :Putter::rock:

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yamaha has had dodgy transmissions from the FZR days.
    I love Sam's comment in one of his AOD articles years ago...something about Michelin slicks sticking like a Yamaha transmission....lol.

But @Steeltoe the frames dont break if you look at them funny.

And they can win a MGP race so....:Poke:

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yet another reason to ride vintage bikes. No overly complex super expensive transmissions.

I am sure they would be really interesting to ride but I would worry about longevity in street / club racing applications where things are not torn down on a regular basis. There are lots of small metal parts rubbing against each other in there.

dtalbott likes this.
  14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

The DCT Honda is as slick as it gets. It is a lot quicker than a manual version of the same bike. It’s so good a friend rode my bike for a day and promptly traded in his manual Africa Twin in for a DCT version like I have.

Shifts mid turn leaned over on the gas don’t even upset the chassis. Try that on a manual version. You do not feel shifts 3-6 gear at all. 1-3 you do feel a little bit. Over riding the system with paddle shift buttons it’s smoooth as well. No chassis upset.

The_R1_Kid, K51000 and Steeltoe like this.
  15. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I have to wonder, do we really need this sort of complex thing to further jack up the price of bikes that most already can't (or won't) afford? In a street application, it's just more tech for techs sake..

dtalbott and 418 like this.
  16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Oh, yeah! Gotta have it! Cuz, you know, for all those once-in-a-blue-moon finishes where milliseconds determined whether I stand on top of the podium at Race-Your-Wreck-Trackday.org. :D

The street crowd whose sole performance interest is straight line speed might be all over it, tho'.

17. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Hopefully, they'll make it a cassette transmission, so it will be easier to service.

crashman likes this.
  18. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Kawi had one to... I know because I took my bike in.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Takes a really good surgeon to make one of those.

brex likes this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The technology exists to support outside the box thinking. Unfortunately, I don't think they teach creativity and the use of imagination to harness the existing technologies.
    Using ones creativity towards advancing the capabilities of gears and cogs in an antiquated power transmission device isn't progressive, it's simply limiting...with unnecessary complexity issues.
    Keep it simple, stupid. :D

K51000 likes this.