1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

`scuba gear

Discussion in 'General' started by slickp12, Sep 14, 2009.

1. slickp12

slickp12 Well-Known Member

looking to purchase a dive computer. was looking at the sherwood wisdom 2. Any insights from the scuba ghurus here as to what dive computer to get> thanks

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I also preferred air integrated computers. I have the Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus. The Pro Plus 2 is out now. Really great computer where you can d/l the dive profile to a PC to analyze and log your dives. My wife and I have over 200 logged dives between us with this computer. I don't care for the wireless watch type computers. I like a nice large display that has everything I need to know on one screen.

Check it out: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...4/Sort_Price/DescSort_1/OCNDMPP2WC.html?Hit=1

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  3. caferace

caferace No.

Sounds like you go down a lot.

-jim

Steeltoe likes this.
  4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

You owe me a keyboard.

5. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

i can recommend a setup for you, but i need to know what type of diving you do and what your experience level is. you need to first decide if you want a liberal or conservative computer - i.e. how it calculates the no-decompression limit. i'm pretty sure the sherwood and the oceanic computers use the same algorithm, which is wildly different than say, a suunto. personally, having dived with an oceanic before, side by side with a suunto backup, the oceanic/sherwood scares me a little.

btw, i'm an instructor.

6. caferace

caferace No.

Sorry 'bout that. :D

-jim

7. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

...or the suunto is overly-conservative.

(both my dive computers are suuntos)

Pixelator likes this.
  8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I prefer a pressure gauge and a separate computer on my wrist or console. I've had issues with air integrated computers. Had one fail once during a dive, and then didn't have any idea what my air pressure or depth was at the time. Figured the depth later at about 140, no idea in pressure, cruised up with my buddy and hung out till he had 500 psi. He always used more air so I knew I was good. Then we spent a long time hanging at 20ft so I knew I was OK. Rodales usually does a decent review, http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dive-computers.

9. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

10. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

I am not a big fan of the air integrated computers. It's my preference, but I like to just look down at my wrist to see my depth, water temp, NDL time remaining, etc. I also have my backup depth gauge on the opposite wrist so I can compare depth of both very easily just to make sure that nothing funky is going on.

For my dive computer I use the Dive Rite Nitek Duo (http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/nitekduo.shtml) and I love it. Easy to read, super easy to use, compact so there's no big ass hunk of a console to clip off. Moving towards some of the more technical stuff it allows two gas switching, etc. I love it.

If possible see if you can borrow or rent a couple of different computers to get a feel for them. It sucks spending two sets of tires to find out you don't like it.

11. slickp12

slickp12 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Booby k I see that u r in nyc like myself. My num is 718 344 7765. -i could better explain me dilema via phone. I've had my certification for about 4 yrs but. I don't get outy much. Looking forward to getting the info

12. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Spent to much time in the Caribbean. No computers,, just shallow dives and guess safety stops

13. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Does anyone still use dive tables? It's been a while since I have been on a recreation dive, but I think I want to give it a go

14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Yeah - I'm getting reacquainted with them for Divemaster school. I had to first find mine, then blow the dust off of them. Computers have gotten so small and reliable that it's hard not to go to them first.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Tech guys use tables, not the same ones used by PADI though. :)

16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Not in recreational diving unless you are just going for old-school nostalgia. The backup for your primary computer is your secondary computer.

Personally I have an air integrated wireless wrist computer, and a hose-mounted non-AI computer with mechanical air gauge and compass. Both computers made by the same manufacturer and set to the same tissue loading algos.

Pixelator likes this.
  17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

My back up computer.
    Just saying...why wear a dive watch to leave it on the boat....

Depth plus time of less than 120 as a guide if no tables on hand.

sdiver likes this.
  18. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

I like my Suunto wireless. You can set it to be as conservative as you like, and you can change your own batteries.