1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scooter Racing

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by VespaRacer, May 23, 2002.

1. VespaRacer

VespaRacer New Member

I am the Race Director for the Eastern Scooter Racing Association (ESRA) for the past 2 years we have been racing scooters (yes, Vespa's and Lambretta's) with CCS. We have split into two organizations Mid American Scooter Sport and ESRA so now we blanket most of the East. There is also a Southern League starting next year. We love racing with CCS, and we appreciate the tracks it gives us access to, but we are looking for more, namely Mid-Ohio etc. Scooter racing is growing exponentially and we need more tracks to compete on. We currently race at Gateway, Blackhawk, Summit Point and Virginia Intl. Raceway.

Our minimum grid is 12 bikes, and at some outings we have had 24+ competitors.

Would WERA be interested in adding ESRA to it's schedule?

This is how we are running things with CCS:

We don't take any of their time on Sunday and we get a 50% rebate of our entry fee.

We have our own rulebook and tech, which they've approved. Our safety director techs all the bikes and submits a report to CCS officials once all bikes are compliant. We handle our own gridding and scoring and submit these items to CCS for their records.

We run one practice Sat. AM and 2 race heats (5 laps) Sat. Afternoon.

Of course we'd love to run both Sat. and Sun. As many of our racers travel 12+ hours to get to an event.

We add very little time to the days events and we're a lot of fun to watch, esp. considering the average scooter is 20+ years old but is running well over 70mph. It's like terror on 10" wheels.

Thanks,
    Phil Waters
    Race Director
    Eastern Scooter Racing Association

2. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Have you contacted any of the directors personally? Visit:

http://weravintage.org/contacts.html

and talk to one of the directors. I would love to see some scooters dicing!

Do you have a web site with more info?

3. VespaRacer

VespaRacer New Member

4. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I think scooters could help bring more interest to the vintage program. I say let them have a chance.

5. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

yes to scooters! i think i know someone who can make me a pipe.:D

6. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Back on that "rock" again... huh?;)

7. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Heh heh. Since he's talking about building yet ANOTHER roadracing vehicle, isn't that a foregone conclusion??? :D

8. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

my home for wayward bikes is getting out of hand and ridiculous.
    but thank god for for the crack. :p