1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on small split AC systems

Discussion in 'General' started by Lever, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

So I'm remodeling a small section of the house (putting in the new windows today actually :D), and had a few questions about split AC systems because our house in the summer doesn't get below 80 degrees (the system is just too small for the house)

So...I want to add a new 9k or 12k split ac system. I know next to nothing about them. The room is small (90 sq ft), and sits just off the master. So hopefully, it'll cool the new nursery and the master (altogether about 350-400 sq ft). I'm thinking the first thing I'll have to do is run an eletrical line back there, because all we have is a 15amp running back there to service a few rooms.

Since I am pouring a foundation for the room, I thought a good idea would be to pour a small slab for the compressor just off the side of the room to prevent having to run a bunch of copper insulated tubes.

The biggest question I have is what is the most cost effective and reliable brand? I've heard good things about mitsubishi...but prefer to buy American if I could. I've seen LG's new artcool series and love the new indoor inverter that is disguised as a picture frame, but it's like $1300 for the full system. Obviously, it needs to both heat and cool. So what brands do you guys use/recommend that could stay under $1k installed?

2. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

I've installed 2 9k units so far. One for my office at my shop and the other is installed on my enclosed trailer that I used for going to the track. Both are heat pumps so they heat and cool. As for brand I just bought the cheapest ones I could find on ebay which is in the $600-$700 range shipped. They work great.

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Links please. These sound interesting.

Thanks
    M

4. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The only name I ever got from any one who installs them for a living and has to support them was the Mitsubishi. The one we put in is dead quiet both inside and outside. If you are remodeling they make units that can run more than one air handler. Run the line set and put one in each room.

6. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

Fujitsu is highly rated. I have the LG, not the Art Cool but the same compressor unit with the grey/mirrored indoor unit. The only reason we got the LG is because it wasn't white, but have to say we've had 0 problems in 4 yrs. We have the heat pump also and it pretty much runs 10 months of the year.

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

. Lever Construction Co. This should get entertaining

8. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

They're 'mini-splits' - a split system is a traditional hvac system with a furnace/air handler and outdoor compressor.

Having said that - we have two Fujitsu units at the house, they each drive 3 indoor ducted units. Not cheap, but they're performed very well the past two winters and summers. You can go wrong with Mitsubishi, Fujitsu or Daiken. I'd stay away from the ebay specials - they may have a 'mitsubishi' compressor, but good luck on parts support for anything else on them.

For a decent unit you're going to spend more than 1K installed.

John

9. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Pioneer. Really cheep, almost disposable cheep, which is what I wanted on this island, and the smaller ones will run off your 15A
    http://www.pd-hvac.com/pioneer/

10. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

we are dealers of mitsubishi & fujitsu, both have been outstanding for us, they are both picky when it comes to install however, more so on the charge of the unit.. how many windows are you going to have?

11. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

In 400 square feet? What's going to hold them up? :D

13. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Wood?

14. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

what area do you live in? the 1 ton would be a good choice for that, you'll need it with that much glass, they modulate themselves as well, so its pretty hard to oversize, of course it can be done but in your case you'll be good.