1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on ram1500 eco diesels

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Jul 9, 2016.

1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Aftermarket wheels and tires are easy to shop for the 1/2 tons as options are almost endless, it's the 8 lugs stuff that's somewhat limited IMHO.

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Not no but hell no. I have a 97 GM with a 5.7, towing a ~5k toy hauler it gets 7, maybe 8 on a good day. 12-13 when not towing. My Ford 6.0 diesel isn't much better, if I drive 60 or faster it gets 8-9 towing the same toy hauler.

3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Dude, tune that sucker. I get 21-22 freeway not towing. I've never gotten it below 16mpg even towing 6000lbs.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Nothing available for the E350s. Even in it's "detuned" stock state the oil temps run around 230 with water up around 215-220 in the summer time. Not towing I get 19-20 on the highway.

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

just ordered the GDE tune :D

Rrider and XFBO like this.
  6. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

7. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

It basically turns egr off. No exhaust gassed mixing with pcv oil vapors = no sludge.

I have a gde tune in my 08 grand cherokee. Love it.

XFBO and Phl218 like this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

lol I ment the Chevy. According to everyone everywhere mine does better then most though.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Have the GDE tune on my Sprinter. Previous owner (Sprinter mechanic) said the EGR elimination allowed long idle times without clogging up the EGR valve (leading to a light show on the dash and eventually the dreaded limp mode). I've let it run all night a few times with no ill effects other than burning a few gallons of diesel. It's noticeably faster than other Sprinters I've driven, a plus when you only have 140 HP stock. 22.4 MPG on the way to Barber going 75 whenever possible.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Found this on MSN...

While it's the 240-hp, Italian-made, 3.0-liter EcoDiesel turbodiesel V6 that grabs most of the attention in the Ram 1500, the truck itself is easy to live with.

The EcoDiesel engine is backed by an eight-speed automatic transmission that makes for particularly easy cruising whether the truck is towing or not. And it's controlled by a rotary dial on the dash that frees up space between the front seats. Beyond that, the Ram is the only truck in this class that uses a coil-spring rear suspension that rides better than others in the class, particularly when the truck isn't carrying cargo.

Properly equipped, the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel can tow between 8,450 and 9,300 pounds. It's unlikely your boat is that big. But if it is, Ram offers its heavy-duty models with up to 31,200 pounds of maximum towing capacity.

11. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

My 5.3 GM is way better than my 5.7 Tundra, but neither was close to my 06 duramax (13mpg + at 65 towing about 8ooolbs. With the 5.3 I was getting about 12.7 hand jammed towing an 02 outback wagon on a trailer at 65-70mph. Oddly got almost the same towing my r6 on a 6x10 utility trailer but was going 75-80. Thinking about getting a 7x14 enclosed. Hoping to stay above 12mph at 65-70 with the 5.3, anyone towing something close with the gm 5.3 engine?
    I have been reading impressive numbers on the eco diesel, wondering if anyone else will build a 1.2 ton diesel. Anyone have the Nissan XD?

12. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

The XD gets low to mid 20s although torque is up to 555 out of the 5.0V8

13. Rrider

Rrider Well-Known Member

I get 16-18 mpg pulling my 6x10 enclosed with my 2007 3.0 CRD Jeep GC. I imagine the Ecoduesel would be similar.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

14 mpg back from Savannah right now, back roads (60-70, towns and stop signs - but 97% less idiots on a Sunday night)

Shenanigans likes this.
  15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Beats the hell out of the 7-8 we got going to Barber

Phl218 likes this.
  16. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

Great source for quality Dodge/Ram Diesel pts / info https://www.genosgarage.com
    I didn't see it mentioned, but on top of full delete, a bypass oil filter set up is worth the effort. I've done it on my last few Diesels. Amsoil makes a good kit and has great filters and bypass filters.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

I've towed my 6X12 V enclosed trailer with 2-3 bikes and gear with my 5.3 Silverado and typically get 11-12mpg @ 65-70mph

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Got the gdt Ecu installed this morning.

Impressive!

Attached Files:

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

And did the air filter, as the box was open already.

You can see the 12k miles

Attached Files:

20. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Which 6.0 model do you have to get that? My 07 f250 crew cab lariat fx4 4x4 will get 17 highway and 15 pulling