1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

This is where the problem lies. Why didn't you buy? Because you didn't know. Nobody does. Even the folks I traded with who are incredibly intelligent and watch things to a level I never imagined existed. Bernie Madoff went to prison over trying to provide about an 8% long term return because it's impossible.

I like this stuff and enjoy investing, but my real retirement is in good performing mutual funds just like everyone else. :D

2. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

ACB down to $14.25 !!! (-16.67%)

3. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

I agree with you buddy and my real retirement is federal government 401K and federal pension.

You have to have a plan. I didn't buy ACB because I thought its fair value was around $10. I didn't anticipate it going up that much; however, had it dropped to $5 or $6 dollars I would have considered buying it, which is doubtful. On the other hand when I brought RCL for $23 or $25 and sold it for $43, it was considered undervalued so worst case scenario I figured if it continued to drop at $25 I would hold until it went back up. I got lucky and it jumped so I dumped and made out. So look at ANTM, do you think Anthem will file bankruptcy? Short answer is no if you understand the industry. That stock was $167 recently and now $283 and climbing. The high is around $315. Anthem would be a good long term hold right now but not good to day trade just yet. So if I buy around $165 and it drops, I will just buy more because I'm confident they will be fine. Buffet said investing is seeing the future of a company. Anthem is big and will continue to grow.

4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

My GILD June 19 $75 short continues to trend nicely...

Goldie likes this.
  5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Oh I did sell, when was $18.56.

My plan is to do what you said, but again if drops enough.

For long terms, United and Boeing are my hope right now.

6. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

Kudos! You did good on ACB!!! :beer::beer:

7. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

These cruise stocks are the best to pump and dump because they have huge swings. :DI've started my long position in CCL but since RCL earning report was announced today, it is causing RCL to tank. I suspect CCL will as well cause they all seem to follow each other. I just dumped CCL for a profit and will rebuy in a few days or weeks. Gonna load up on all three cruise lines on the next big dip and really stick a fork in them! :beer:

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

New 52 wk. high.

$2482.
    Likely $2800 by EOY.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Been watching them for a while and almost bought a few times...I'm skeered as I just can't see how they'll turn a profit in the next year or more.

Just put another $2K into my brokerage acct., so bring on the hot tips (already watching those mentioned in the last couple pages)

Goldie likes this.
  10. SteveThompson

I still feel good about HAL. Really, it seems like any oil stock has headroom. I'm also holding onto DIS for the near term. I could make a case for BA and I have a small position but it seems like they have a rough road ahead.

*This advice is worth what you paid for it :D

11. Tristan

I agree with all this- bought 5 shares of DIS at $84, will let it sit until I need the cash or it blows up. Bought 4 of BA at $125, underwhelming so far but I believe it has good long potential. Don't have any HAL, but have some EPD- a smaller similar company, it's up 33% for me.

12. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="SteveThompson, post: 5722274,

*This advice is worth what you paid for it :D[/QUOTE]

I'll second that with anything I post. :D:D:D

13. SteveThompson

Up 25% today. :confused:

14. Tristan

OMG...better sell off all those stocks that are in the crapper and BUY BUY BUY

15. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

Since ya'll are apparently more knowledgeable than I am(it doesn't take much) about stocks, a stock advisor told me that ONCY is about to go up quite a bit in the short term. Anybody tracking that one and have a take on it?

16. SteveThompson

ONCY looks interesting. I don't know anything about it. A few sources are showing it as a strong buy. 6 months ago it was as low as 35 cents. That's kinda junk stock territory. Not unlike ACB that we keep talking about.

17. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

Yeah, the guy "specializes" in penny stocks. I've bought a few things he mentioned...Some did well very quickly and this was one of those that he said would move quickly too. Might dip my toe in a bit and see how it goes. Thanks

18. Tristan

Reminds me of the AFMD I just sold- made about 65% in 2 months.

19. Tristan

funny coincidence... OGI is at -4.20% for me right now

scottn likes this.
  20. HondaSuperHawk

HondaSuperHawk Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for a no commission ETF to jump into for a longer term?