1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

That doesn’t totally make sense. What are you trying to accomplish?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Independent wealth!

HPPT likes this.
  3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

USO, UCO, and OXY, seem very buyer friendly for the long term (year or so)..

I used to trade futures and crypto, but its stressful with my job. So, I started doing more long term stuff, like ETF's. I moved most of the money I had in my brokerage account into XLK when it was around $71. It's currently sitting at $97 and i plan on keeping my shares long term as well as continuing to buy more. My wife and i both max out our 401K every year and we decided to start putting about 5-7% of our incomes after taxes into the market each pay period... We have had great returns so far doing this, and she mentioned the other day that she had about $35K sitting in her savings account from a few bonus's she received last year.

(we are very financially independent from each other, and we never really know how much money one or the other has. We have a joint that we both pay 100% of our bills into, so we gain a months worth of living expenses every month. We then use that money for emergencies, home improvement, vacation, and we paid cash for our wedding with it)

Anyway... she said she'd like to dump about half of it into something and let it sit for 3-5 years.. Those oil ETF's above are looking really enticing, but I'm really on the fence about oil these last few years.. I want to hold shares in something I am proud to hold like technology, medical, or something similar.. However, at the end of the day, we are trying to use money to make money, and the simplest way to do that is the best..

What do you guys think of the USO, UCO, and OXY tickers?

4. SteveThompson

I don't think any of those are any good. USO is definitely not a long term investment. That's not what that type of ETF is for. I think UCO is the same but I don't know as much about it. I just looked at OXY. It has far under performed the oil stocks we have talked about in this thread. I'd keep looking.

Trainwreck likes this.
  5. HondaSuperHawk

HondaSuperHawk Well-Known Member

How about if I wanted to invest $1,000 of my stimulus check by putting it in the market for the next 5 years and not moving it around or messing with it? Any suggestions?

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

VFIAX its the vanguard index fund. I wish someone told me bout these things

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I had to google what is the difference between the vanguard 500 index and the one you linked called vanguard admiral....evidently admiral has even lower fees and isn't' offered to everyone? I have a chunk in vanguard 500 as well and supposedly it is a good way to go.

8. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Admiral shares are simply lower fees in exchange for minimum investment requirements. Back in the day it was 100k or something like that, but I think it's only 10,000 now. I seldom actually look at my statements to be honest.

9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

you might be correct as i tried to open another account and couldnt so i opened the vanguard 500 also. i try to put in atleast 60% in those funds

10. SteveThompson

If anybody bought basically anything we've discussed in this thread :beer:

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Except for that dog ONCY, hell yeah. My IVR that was -40% a couple weeks ago is +27% now. I'm off today and my $5K investment has made more than I do in 2 days.

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

It's been a good week but I have a feeling that a few of my gains are temporary, and will drop again. Still, up ~30% as a whole so far. Pulled my initial investment out of a few stocks that were up 50-60% and re invested in some others I think still have potential this morning. I feel like an amateur lightweight twins rider bragging about winning trophies to a superbike pros though.....:D

13. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

The market has been good to me.
    I never invested before, but since working from home and having more time to research I decided to "play" during this quarantine. Im up 85% my initial investment this past couple of months. Got lucky and got in some of the stocks at the right time.

Wish I had put a lot more money into some of them, but hindsight is 20/20

noles19 likes this.
  14. SteveThompson

I told my wife today to expect a big dip before things settle down. It has been really fun though. My play account is starting to have more than playing around value.

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

i bought boeing and carnival cruise. ive sold both already. i panicked and sold carnival a tad early and only made around 40%. I was up around 70% at one point. oh well

16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

did well this morning. i didnt have that much time to play and wanted to sell some so i put a limit but just missed it. its still crazy

17. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

anyone know anything about dvax? ive had for a while due to something else but they recently started working on a cure for covid. could be big and could take a big shit :)

18. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

anyone selling IVR right now!!!

19. Tristan

I'm up 90% on it, so I probably should....but nah

20. Tristan

Did your guy say when this rocketship will launch? So far it's sitting on the pad and dribbling fuel...