1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's cheap. People will live in HELL, because it is cheap.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I suspect I could get the bed on mine replaced for a lot less than 25K even if I had to buy a truck to get one. But that's a valid argument if other 100k vehicles were being government mandated into existence.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And some of you live in hell despite how expensive it is. :Poke:

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I hear San Francisco has gotten really nice in the last few years.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Clothing and grocery costs for sure. You just go grab what you want and leave.

BigBird, A. Barrister and AC1108 like this.
  6. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Well, you used to be able to.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

First part I agree...It's basically the sports car thing. You build a sports car, the first two years great sales and then it collapses. Everyone that wanted one got it and then there's very little market left.

Second part about cheap EV destroying the market....Not to bring in government here, but there are a bunch of EVs under$40k with govt incentives right now, and there's a few into the low $20k and they aren't really selling those.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yea that's a company model specific design thing and not an EV thing, but sure, go off. that Rivian design is stupid for a pickup, and everything else just needs enough time to get some on the secondary market and then repairs come down just like any other car ever that's not made out of a monocoque carbon fiber tub.

i dunno about saving the world, but the reality is that range reduction is about 10% in the winter. marginal for most people's daily lives that live in or around big NE/mid-atlantic cities, and not an issue for anyone that lives near west coast cities or TX. so basically the majority of the population of the country.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  9. Sweatypants

they still have shit range that doesn't work for a lot of people. and in reality, there's like... 2 cars that get you into the 20's. frankly, long range Model 3 is about the lowest range i'd take in a car, and i'm not buying a $55k car for bopping around town. pretty much ever, unless its a resto classic or a 911. i'd resto-mod an early 50's Chevy coupe with a Model S drivetrain, but then you're talking about $100k car again.

10. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Boman walked right into that one!

Banditracer likes this.
  11. Venom51

No, they won't because the average cost of repair on all of them keeps going up. Go buy a set of tail lights for a 2022 King Ranch F150. Almost every single manufacturer is making them more expensive to repair. The days of $100 dollar taillight assemblies with a 2 dollar bulb in them is long gone. They are becoming unaffordable in almost every metric. The EVs and their "design" is only making that a less appealing proposition.

12. Boman Forklift

You couldn’t pay me enough to live in Minnesota ans I really liked it nd the people I a the summer. Evidently the same is true with you and @pickled egg for S Cal.?

R1Racer99 likes this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I question that number, maybe if your " winter " is 30 degrees.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I bet most people don't commute on motorcycles around there either. You buy a tool for the job you have to do.

15. Sweatypants

one of my best friends and my brother has them. that's what they've been telling me, beyond that i have no say. *shrug

16. pickled egg

He had to walk. His car got stoled. :D

17. Sweatypants

Teslas are cheaper to fix now, than they were 7 years ago. The other anecdotal stuff, so be it...

18. Venom51

Compared to what? A new Tesla or mid 90s Toyota? Cheaper does not equate to cheap.

19. pickled egg

Umm.

I’ve got a newsflash for you all.

Car manufacturers make their money selling cars.

Not repairing the ones they already sold.

Ask yourself why luxury brands are so cheap 5 years down the road when a $4000 maintenance bill is looming.

Running that 1996 Camry until the wheels fall off is a lot more “environmentally friendly” than the new car every 3 years because it’s “cleaner”.

20. Boman Forklift

I have a friend that has a late model Suburban and had to replace the rear taillight 2-3 times and it has turned him off from buying another one. I think they were like $8-900 each, they are LED and were not damaged, just quit working.