1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on health insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by Pittenger5, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Lost my job recently, and along with it went heath insurance (if anyone has any contacts looking for someone with sales strategy and finance background let me know). We need to find health insurance now, but Ive never had to navigate these waters. Mainly concerned with something catastrophic, but we also have normal prescriptions, and we do have preferred doctors. Any advice where to start looking, or what exactly to look out for?
    We can keep our insurance that we had through my job which we loved, but it would be 1400 bucks a month, seems a lot, but who knows.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Your first step is to start drinking, and accept that you're screwed.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Does your wife work and does her job offer benefits? If so, it's a life changing event (or something like that) so you could enroll in her insurance. Other than that, if you've got insurance you like it's probably going to be easiest to do COBRA (and depending on your prescriptions/copays, etc., could be close to a wash financially) and keep that vs shopping around.

Sorry for your job loss, btw.

4. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

There are short term emergency policies available. Call your insurance agent for home/auto, they probably know someone who can help.

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I should've mentioned, I believe COBRA is retroactive 60 days (i.e., you've got 60 days from your loss of coverage date to activate it and everything incurred up to that point would be retroactively covered).

noles19 likes this.
  6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Go to marketplace. The fact that you have no income will help you. It's fucked up but when you don't work in the US you get shit for free. If you bust your ass at a normal paying job you will pay 400 a month for health insurance with co pays.

7. khill

khill Well-Known Member

This....

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

United healthcare.

9. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

You get virtually ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, If your low income.
    If you're working or forced to go on CIBRA, For a couple you're looking at a thousand plus a month with children add substantially more.
    20+ years I work my ass off for my wife and me, cost me a fortune, she got cancer thank goodness I had insurance, butin the end my wife died, I had to go on low income assisted yes it's socialized" medicine" and yes it's beyond awesome, even full dental. I'm telling you the burden lifted off your shoulders when the government is giving you free healthcare and dental I cannot tell you how reassuring and how safe it makes you feel,.

But now I'm like the rest of the schmucks who agreed to the past& present healthcare system, I've gone back to work and its nose bleeding expensive for just me 15-20 % of my paycheck, co-pays are expensive and the coverage sucks. If anything ever bad happens 100% absolutely I'm bankrupt.....
    I've been through it once watched how it works....Lack of good coverage in the co-pays will take everything you've ever worked for. Having gone through all this I can talk about it to say I'm bitter is an understatement
    But HEY! at least it's NOT "socialized medicine"

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    BigBird likes this.
  10. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Contact Brandon Parrish at bpriders. Right now is open enrollment also, I'll be tackling that tomorrow. Brandon set me up with supplemental ins this year as I was caught out after open enrollment last time.

gapman789 and omatter34 like this.
  11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Are you looking for yourself or family ?

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sorry to hear about the job loss :(

13. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

She is self employed and doesnt have anything set up yet.

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm self employed and have insurance through the marketplace.
    It was quite easy to do and 2021 will be the 1st time I've had to pay for it.
    All I had to do was estimate my income for the year I'm getting insurance for.

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yes, sorry about the job loss and the predicament. I can only imagine the stress. Terrible. @This old Rz I'd be bitter too. Hell, I'm bitter for you. Makes me appreciate the life that I have. Very sorry about your wife.

I have Duke Energy health insurance and it sucks.

Anyway, a friend has the cost share Christian thing. His boy got hurt at my business. He went to file the 25k broken ankle surgery with them, and that's when he found that he really didn't have any insurance for his family. That's when his wife called me and told me that I should now consult a lawyer or call my liability agent. Whew. Not sure what the hang up was with the cost share that wasn't.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Call Barack and demand your “affordable” plan.

and if your wife is self employed, read up on “what your CPA isn’t telling you”

there might be an option for you 2 in there

britx303 likes this.
  17. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

My company just switched to them from Horizon/BCBS.

Middle plan for a family of 4 after the $300 contribution from my company.....$1677/mo!!

cav115 likes this.
  18. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

For me it was a treadmill to bankruptcy. And then I wondered, where they would send the bill if I was homeless, and then would that health insurance cover malnutrition and exposure?
    I joke a little..we tried to carry it...but my metaphor is appropriate.
    We luckily are healthy and I feel for people who really have to have it..good luck to you.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

For COBRA, unless you were terminated for really bad behavior, you have up to 60 days from your last day of work to decide if you want to use it. You then have another 30 days to pay the premium (3x monthly premium at that point). If your employer didn't offer you coverage under COBRA then they really screwed the pooch and could be held liable. I'm not sure how it works if a company goes out of business, but the COBRA is typically administered outside of the company as the former employee pays directly to the insurer each month.

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

DO NOT race or do track days without health insurance...