1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on enclosed trailer set-up

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup::crackup:

2. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup:

3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

In my experience centering a bike L/R in an enclosed trailer is not usually best. Neither my 5x8 nor 6x12 handled any better or worse placing the bike on 1 side vs the middle. This leaves a larger continuous area to pack everything else, or another bike/scooter.

Whats this about a Panigale stand? I thought it had electronic tip over control ala Segway no stand needed. Maybe thats only the R model :D

4. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

I put my Baxley in the pit on my last session of the day, then when I pull the 848 in, I ride it into the Baxley, put the Pins into the rear axle, then ride it into the trailer into the TRS. I have done the front stand only thing before. Usually, it's not on the front stand long enough for someone to bump. Just put the TRS pins in, pull it off the front stand and into the trailer.

5. itsrichierich

itsrichierich Well-Known Member

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

To me that price is a bit steep. I'd offer $8500 max on a good day. Trailers are about 2x as expensive there as they are in the Midwest.

7. itsrichierich

That's what I thought from just shopping around. A new one of this style is about $7-8k. Yes it's "upgraded" but nothing over the top.

Market is also slowing down so it may or may not sit around for awhile. With that being said, what do I need to look at/for when shopping for a trailer?

8. Hyperdyne

Whatever size you think you need. Go 2' longer. I manned a 7x14 for quite some time and it worked for the program I had. Once we started the endurance team, it was just too much to try and jam all in the trailer. The move to MA made it even harder because they only give you so much room and one spot vs club where you can take up extra space if you need it.

If it's just you and a pal. 7x14 will work and set it up for shore power and get a 3500 genset (minimum). The key is to keep as much stuff off the floor as possible. Tire rack mounted up high and you can operate out of a HF tool cart just fine for club and track days.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Where do you live?

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The correct answer is always...

1. What comes out first at the track?
    2. What goes in last when loading up?

The rest is considering the placement for weight distribution. Then work in that order.

itsrichierich likes this.
  11. itsrichierich

Just reading the forums and etc, I figured 7x14 would fit best. I have no intentions to race, but I want to have the room just in case I bring a friend or wife/kid joins. I greatly appreciate your feedback!

San Diego, California

Awesome, I appreciate it!

12. Hyperdyne

I don't agree with this in it's entirety. However, it is a completely logical way to plan and would work pretty well. Just not the way we do it because of our experiences. We also usually have at least two trailers.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Single 7x14 for me with the rear and side door. Made it so I didn't have to think about it at the end of the weekend when beat and tired. I also almost always only had to worry about my stuff as well. Bringing more than one bike to the track required some movement of things. I did think ahead and had a plan to shuffle a few things providing an alternate layout for two bikes but that also involved moving some things to the bed of the truck to make room.

14. itsrichierich

Enclosed trailers. I am looking to get an enclosed trailer, somewhere in the lines of 7x14 tandem.

7x14 is more than enough for me, since it's just me. (1) 600rr and (1) 150r. Idea is to put an AC unit, fold down bed (or something similar), a small tool box and countertop (but not needed).

Besides the 2 extra feet, is there a reason why I should be a V-nose over a flat nose? What about screwless vs exposed screws? If I'm going to spend around $7-$10k, might as well get the correct one or recommended.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd think a portable folding table would be way more useful that a fixed countertop in the trailer- that will likely just become a catch-all for crap

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Aero is debatable, but why wouldn't you want to use the otherwise wasted space on the trailer tongue?

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I put 2 big shelves in the V in mine, filled the whole V. Made a great spot to put a bunch of stuff all weekend. Kept the bottom shelf just high enough that I could open a big cooler under it.

18. Hyperdyne

If it is solely just for hauling the bike and camping at the track, an 7x14 will work fine. The V-Nose gives you some extra space but overall it's up to the individual. For 7-10K you can have the nicest 7x14 ever built.

19. Hyperdyne

To me the biggest help is being able to keep as much stuff off the floor as possible. Bulky items like genset and coolers are the main reason so you can get to them while traveling.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dual axle you want a minimum of 2 spare tires. And hope you dont have to do a bunch of backing turns. Also if considering a 16 might as well go 20. No much difference in curb weight.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.