1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on dehydrators

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Dec 17, 2020.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Mom wants a small one for Christmas, nothing too crazy. I'd like to keep the budget at around $150 or less. Doesn't need to be anything too fancy or robust but it needs to work and I'd prefer to stay away from the all plastic ones I'm seeing just because they look like they'd break if you looked at em funny. So what does the beeb say?

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Nesco.

Comes standard with 5 trays and can be expanded to mid-teens.

spoon32, jasonhise and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I've had a $40 plastic one for about 14 years now, and it works great (can't remember brand, salton maybe rings a bell?). I don't know how many pounds of jerky, dried fuit and veg over the years I've run through it, but it's LONG paid for itself.

If I were to buy another one, I'd get one with square trays, as it's easier to make fruit leather. Other than that it's just a fan, and small heat source and a couple stacking trays. Not much to go wrong with it.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Agree with above. I bought one from prime day a couple years ago. Made a lot of jerky in it. Its round so a little pain but has digital control to change temp and time. Was maybe 50-60-70 tops. All plastic, no issues.

5. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Home brew and home made jerky, mmmm. Xmas presents to myself.

6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

We have a square plastic one as well and use it to dry all our food for camping. It works. Don’t use it as a step stool and it shouldn’t break.

7. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Ronco, set it and forget it!

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have a plastic one that has been fine for several years. When I get home, I'll look up the brand. It is marginally more stable than a Harbor Freight jack stand, but I wouldn't recommend using it for that purpose.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

11. redtailracing

Leaning towards Nesco based on a couple of the recommendations here. I noticed a couple others have square dehydrators and one person said they like theirs, but just wish it was square. What are your thoughts since you both have round ones? Do you a square would be better to work with or wouldn't make a difference?

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I could see a square one being an advantage. The biggest thing is to make sure you get one with a fan in it.

13. SuddenBraking

Never used square, but it'd depend on a fair number of variables (where is your fan source, what are you dehydrating, how consistent are your cuts, etc.).

Unless you're making "fruit leather" (fucked if I know what that is - is that like a knockoff Fruit Rollup?), I'm not sure square vs round matters.

14. redtailracing

Oddly enough, if fruit leather is what I think it is, I think that is one of the primary things she intends to use it for.

15. Dan Dubeau

It's a fruit puree poured out on a silicone/parchmant sheet and dehydrated. Great kids snack :D (fruit rollup)

It's easier to cut sheets to fit square trays and contain the mess.

16. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

My dehydrator (I believe it's a nesco as well) came with round trays with lips on them to put on the racks for fruit leather. I've never used them for that but they're quite useful for drying out fermented pepper mash in to pepper flakes.

17. SuddenBraking

Mine came with those things as well but I never used them (although the tip about using for pepper flakes is interesting).

18. Dan Dubeau

I wish mine came with trays, I usually make little parchment trays to contain the liquid mess, but honestly don't do it too much as it's a pita to fit the oval shape. I use mine for dried peppers, onions, garlic, herbs, citrus, etc to make rubs and seasonings a lot.
    I attempted to make my first fermented pepper mash this summer but it got contaminated somehow, and went off. That was fun pouring it out :Puke::crackup:

We'll go through phases where it's plugged in for weeks straight, and then put away and forgot about for months. It gets a lot of use in late summer when the garden is in full swing, and can't keep up with it. One day I'm going to build a big solar one just for garden stuff.

19. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

That stuff is gold but definitely has a bit of a learning curve. I actually usually ferment as halved or quartered peppers (easier to keep everything safe and under the brine) but I have had a bit of success with fermenting the mash itself. Then once fermented I blend it up with other ingredients, and run it through a food mill to clear out the skins and seeds leftover. Then what's left in the food mill goes in the dehydrator to become pepper flakes and the leftover brine gets used to marinade some chicken and nothing goes to waste.