1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on 40hp tractors

Discussion in 'General' started by MGM, May 27, 2020.

1. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Not anymore :)

2. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Did you happen to buy that LS from Bruno’s Powersports in AR? How do you like it? What model is it?

Started looking at them as well.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Thanks for link...I really need a box blade. I'm thinking a 6 footer for my 43 horse Ford 2120 would be about right. I'm getting excited thinking about all the things I can destroy with that! :D

nd4spd likes this.
  4. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

How many acres? If youre only a couple acres you'd be fine with 25Hp and not having to deal with emissions. Couple things though in this order when buying. Dealer without a doubt should be top. #1 weight, heavier the better #2 HP.
    Forget all the hoopla about color. Unless you want to overpay for that proprietary plastic with green paint. In my area im lucky to have almost every brand out there so i was able to put my hands on all of them and operate some. I went with MF for several reasons. I made the right choice for my situation. If you have Branson and Yanmar in your area take a look at them as well. Good quality machinery.
    Brands to look at in no particular order.
    Branson
    MF
    Yanmar
    JD
    Kubota
    LS
    Mahindra
    Case
    New Holland

650 RACER likes this.
  5. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Lots of folks are happy with their Kioti's as well. tractorbynet is a great resource.
    As others have mentioned for sure get something with SSQA forks. Telescoping 3 point is a lifesaver for me. I dont have a quickhitch but people that do love them. They are not universal though which is why ive held off on getting one since my implements are not all the same brand. If you want a backhoe, skid steer or excavator go buy or rent one. They are cheap enough to rent for the day, weekend or week. Backhoe add on for a compact tractor is in the 8-9K range. For grading a driveway you may want extra rear hydraulics for top and tilt.

650 RACER likes this.
  6. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

I shopped pretty extensively and had my mind open to every manufacturer during the process. I did call Brunos as their online pricing was just so much better than what I had been finding anywhere else. I got their best price no nonsense no BS cash price on what I wanted. I then kept shopping. I was originally hoping to find used but anything that popped up wasn't really what I wanted and used tractors are still $$$$. I eventually got back in touch with a dealer fairly local to me (dealer has been around for ages and sells LS, Kioti, and Deutz Fahr) and told them this is what I want this is what I can get it for to my door and wanted to give them the opportunity to meet or beat that price. There was some reluctance but they did it.

I will say I really like the tractor its very comfortable, the cab layout and controls are nice and like I said earlier came standard with tons of features that have proven to be extremely useful for me. The model is an XR4150HC. I am still in its early years though as I am 2 years in and roughly 100 hours. When I had it in for the defrost vents they had one in for service that was my same model. It was beat to hell. Apparently the guy uses it like a piece of heavy machinery and has about 700 hours on it with little more than fluids and replacement glass, mirrors etc because he keeps running it in to stuff. When I see that and what I use mine for I should be happy for many, many years. Until of course I go 80+HP and 12' mower. Ha

Pic from a small residential lot I took care of last night.

Attached Files:

• LS3.jpg
      LS3.jpg
      File size:
      376.7 KB
      Views:
  7. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

I’m leaning towards that exact tractor minus the cab. 15 acres hopefully soon to be 23. I’m going to give the local(ish) LS dealer a crack at the sale before I buy from Bruno’s. Shuttle shift or Hydro?

8. baconologist

where are you?

9. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. Like others have said having a dealer that's been around, that you like and that is somewhat nearby is always a good thing.

I went hydro for loader work and mowing around buildings and vehicles. I appreciate the hydro also anytime I have to be extremely accurate when unloading from my truck or needing to make small fine adjustments. Again that's just my personal preference. I'm sure there are guys out there that would turn their nose up at the hydro saying they can do everything just as well with gear transmission. Good for them.

10. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

S of Knoxville

11. baconologist