1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on 40hp tractors

Discussion in 'General' started by MGM, May 27, 2020.

1. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

No, not SV650’s...actual tractors. Anyone bought a 40 hp (+\-) in the last 5-10yr? Looking heavily at JD 3038r or 4044m’s. There’s a John Deere dealer near me in town that won’t be going away. Also a Kubota dealer.. Other brands the dealer network looks as stable as Aprilia’s.

Going to be used for bush hogging, grading driveway, cleaning up woods/underbrush (IE grapple).

I’m price sensitive right now with work. That being said, this will be the first and hopefully last tractor I plan on buying so I don’t want to be short on capability.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Buy older used Case backhoe or similar for 3rd of the cost and will do 3 times more than JD.
    I have 74 Case 580B, can't kill that thing.
    With left over money buy few sv's :)

track wagon and Sabre699 like this.
  3. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I've got a 36hp Mahindra. At the time we bought it, it was nearly 10 grand cheaper than a John Deere or New Holland. It doesn't see much use but overall has been trouble free. Attachments get expensive quick. I recently added a root grapple and had to have 3rd function hydraulics added and ended up spending about 4 Grand. Runs a 5 foot bush hog really well, that's the main thing we use it for. Hydrostatic transmission is where it's at

4. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Fucking died. LOL

Ducti89, Chris, YamahaRick and 2 others like this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I have a Case TR320 Skid Steer that I need to sell. Job Loss due to Covid and I just want to get as much debt as possible off and away from me.

Mechanically the thing is solid. New Bucket and Blade up front. Just serviced like 10 hours ago. Cosmetically....it's a 6.5 outta 10.

High Flow Hydraulics will run anything you attach to the machine.

If interested....let me know and I'll send pictures and price.

6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

LS brand. It’s the Korean builder of New Holland. Mechanically damn near identical to JD.

7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I have a 1994 JD 2155 with a loader. Bought it 5 years ago with only 1900 hours. 55hp, and does ok pulling an MX8 bush hog. If I get another, I'll be looking at ~100hp.

Try tractorhouse.com or petesmachinery.com

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Price?

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think my brother just got a little Mahindra Max with back hoe attachment. I think he said Max or 1600 or something. Got it for a song and for what they use it for it was perfect. The larger holes they have a couple of Cases and dynamite. :D

10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

2014 Unit
    1315hrs the last time I looked.

$19,500

11. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I am on my third (and hopefully last) Kubota which is an M5040 - 50hp as the model would suggest. The size you are looking for is good, many people start too small as I did, and want more, hence my third. I have only had Kubota's so I don't know how the other manufacturers are. I bought all of them used and either broke even or made money when I sold the other two. If you buy them well, you can get a tractor with low hours for a lot less money than buying new. The one I have now I bought a few states away and had it trucked to my local dealer as they had a ramp to unload it. It only have 59 hours on it so it was like new for a fraction of the cost.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Long. (The Built in Romania models)

13. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

Love my LS. If memory serves me right LS makes New Holland (same tractor different paint) and Case tractors. Bought the 50HP cab model LSXR4150HC new 2 years back. Sitting at about 90 hours. Mowed 3+ acres after work last night with the tunes on and the AC blowing. The $3k extra for the cab upgrade was the best $3k spent. Realized that the first time I hit an in ground yellow jacket nest and those fuckers swarmed the cab. I am pretty flat pasture not many trees and 10.5acres so the cab works for me. You of course lose clearance so if you are wooded so a cab may not work.

14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Any issues with QC, axles or hydraulics?
    I just ordered a baby MT122 TLB

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

When hill gets in the way you just move it :)

Attached Files:

Jon Wilkens and RichB like this.
  16. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

I've had 2 small issues. Defrost vents stopped blowing and I had a slight hanging drip at rear axle and I mean slight. I only pointed it out when I was in for the defrost. Both fixed under warranty. No other QC issues or problems w/ hydraulics/axles. I will be on it all night after work again.

baconologist likes this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I have a Ford 2120, 43 horse diesel with 4 wheel drive and ag tires. DO get 4 wheel drive as it makes it so much more versatile. I didn't get a belly mower with central PTO...I should have. I also didn't get rear hydraulics...I REALLY should have. The front mounted bucket with joy stick controls is a must. Weight the rear tires with windshield washing fluid (not calcium), that was my first mistake as it nearly ruined my rims. Had to take the wheels off, remove the tires and tubes, sand blast and repaint. Negotiate for all the attachments along with the purchase, it will save you lots of $.
    I should add that I've not had a single problem that I didn't cause in over 20 years. Mostly tire issues from overloading or running over debris.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Well the truck threads always end up with " you need a diesel dually " so with that thought this is what you need. :D

upload_2020-5-27_14-37-23.jpeg

Ducti89, Phl218, 969 and 2 others like this.
  19. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

FWIW, I've been very pleased with the Kubota MX 5200 that I bought new 5 and a half years ago. I haven't had any problems pulling a 7 foot bushog nor a 7 foot finish mower. I just sprung big bucks for a new backhoe attachment. As mentioned above, I probably could have bought a used one and saved a bunch of money. I've gone the new equipment route primarily because I don't have a lot of experience with heavy equipment and I'm not real confident to discriminate the difference between an easy or expensive repair. There are plenty of good deals to be had on the used market.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  20. John Branch

John Branch 90125

I have a LS 4041 with a front loader attachment . It has the skid steer function ,where you can change to different things,like buckets to forks or hay spear. And definitely get four wheel drive. I got it 2012 , and have almost 500 hours on it . Only problem I have had is broke the bolts on front axle. When I got the new parts they updated the bolts and housing with fine thread bolts . The original was coarse thread. Hopefully all good now !? I have a box blade and landscaping rake for the back. I have used tractors and skid steers, and I prefer a tractor. And mine is a manual was a little cheaper than hydrostatic transmission. I have drove both and I like to shift :cool: