1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Lunches

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Let's see here now,,,,,Kcal,,,,,K has a value of 1000 so that means that that meal would have 3,750,000 calories. Is that right? DAMN! Is that unhealthy or what?

:eek::D

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

BITE YOUR TONGUE FELLA! That's not even a funny joke. :eek:

:D

3. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Why is that everybody else's problem? Why should I have to take responsibility for a child I didn't create?

sheepofblue likes this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Because libertarian. ;)

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You already are. Your property taxes go primarily to the local school district. Wouldn't you like to have some say in how it's spent? Would you rather it get spent helping to set the kids up for success so they're not a burden on society as adults or would you rather it get blown on worthless bullshit like new turf for the stadium or air conditioned buses?

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

There should be shame in using government assistance. It's become so easy with the ebt cards and whatnot removing the stigma associated with it. Too many people aren't embarrassed about it when they should be.

I'm curious to know what school that is. High school? Elementary school? Community college?

badmoon692008 and R Acree like this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

10 years old and doesnt have their own job?????? What kinda lazy kids are being raised nowadays?:p

badmoon692008 and MachineR1 like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have been and the issue isn't the schools problem, it's the parents.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Technically, all of public school is government assistance.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

School districts waste enough money to provide lunch for all the kids. So if they get some intelligent people looking at the books and cover the cost of lunch with what they have, great. But they don't need any more money.
    But it does go back to personal responsibility, which so many seem to think shouldn't exist any longer.

R Acree likes this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Parents not paying their kid's school lunch bills are a problem in the area I live in also, and there are not that many people around here who are so bad off that they can't afford to pay those bills. You can bet your ass they find money to pay the cable company and the cell phone bill.
    That's because they know they will lose the phone or cable real quick when they stop paying, but they can keep sending their kids to school with no lunch money and the bleeding hearts will let them get away with it.
    Kids will go home and nag their parents into buying trendy, expensive clothes to wear so they aren't "embarrassed" at school by people thinking they can't afford expensive sneakers, so what's wrong with using the same tactic to make them pay their lunch bill?
    If those kids knew that they would be negatively affected at school and that the only way to avoid that would be to get their parents to pay their bill, they would bitch at their parents until they paid the bill with the same enthusiasm they use to bitch until they get new sneakers.
    Making people feel bad about their actions and being shamed in public were useful and accepted rules up until a few decades ago.
    Throwing them away has increased negative and destructive behavior in our society.
    If there's no downside to doing the wrong thing then more of the wrong thing will be done.
    And what ends up happening is that the people who do the right thing are punished.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If you count paying massive taxes as assistance, I suppose.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You can't see the forest for the trees. We spend a shitload of money (my stupid property taxes went up 25% this year because they want to build a new high school) on "education". Why would we not provide meals in this? It would eliminate a significant source of stress from many kids days. Wealthy kids don't get better desks, textbooks, lockers, teachers (at the same school) as poor kids, why should lunch be different?

Not to mention that nutrition plays a significant role in the development of a kid's body, mind, and overall well being.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Right.

Who should we sue for this?....

15. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Well shit, what do we need parents for? Let's have the government just raise the kids instead.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

While some of us continue to blame the parents (which is true) for their children not having money to pay for lunch we have to look seriously at one point. Who are we trying to punish by not covering the cost of lunch for all students? The parents or the kids? You do realize that it's the kids that end up on the short end of the hotdog don't you?
    Just saying.

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You are probably in excellent physical condition with all this jumping from one side of a point all the way to the other side. :D

18. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

It's my first post in this thread. Are you drunk?

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Throw open the doors to the orphanages, we got a fuckload more wards of the state a-coming

Orvis likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Exactly. It teaches a bad lesson to punish the kids for the actions of the parents.