1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schedule Possibility for 2004

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Mongo, Nov 5, 2003.

1. racer237

racer237 Well-Known Member

Hey my opinion is we race out west it would be like a lil extra vacation. las vegas, los angeles and of course the tracks that we would get to ride would be lots of fun. but would anyone want to motorcycle(car pull) pull with us.:clap:

2. Bad Iguana

Bad Iguana Well-Known Member

Troublemaker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having parallel series works for baseball and football. And they have unlimited budgets. For those of us who have to work to keep our meager efforts going, geographic convenience is terribly important. I think that the western series would easily be as populous as the eastern series and having twice as many endurance teams should not be financially harmful to WERA. If I lived out west, I could not afford to race endurance in the current structure even if one race was 10 minutes from my house.

3. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

Western Series
    Eastern Series
    2 Combined National Endurance Races in Texas/OK/LA
    (South Central will now have a race or two!!!!!!)

4. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

I know we haven't been racing endurance for two years, but now that we have sat out and looked back, I think a West Coast race or two is a good idea. It is, afterall, a national series and that covers the nation.

However, I also like the AMA 125 Supercross mentality where you have a West Coast set of races and an EAst Coast set of races. Then, at season's end (right before the GNF), you have an East/West shootout amongst only the top 20 in each series. The field of 40 would compete against each other and WERA could possibly endorse as such to bring in double contingency or something to make it a worthwhile race.

I'd go for a West/East deal vs. just 2 races out West since 1 would have to be an 8 hr. and 1 would be most likely a 24...

As far as Mid-Ohio - Doesn't make sense to have a race late in the week for teams to drive to. Especially teams like Vesrah where they also run sprints. Doesn't seem like the money would be there to justify the expense for an endurance only. Now, what if it were a Wed/Thurs national? I mean, do a 4 hr on Wed. and put on the smaller sprints like LW and novice races and pack it in on Thurs. for the rest...

5. melissa

melissa Sir

Someone has probably already mentioned this but what about Arizona Motorsports Park? I don't know anything about it except for that it exists, and it's new.

http://www.arizonamotorsportspark.com

6. jtigert

jtigert Active Member

arizona motorsports park

This track is pretty nice. I spent a day on it testing for honda and the layout is technical and extremely safe. the surface is still very smooth except one corner had patches laid out allready. its completely flat with limited facilities (only downfalls).

7. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

A "National" WERA National series? To run in a WERA race be it a sprint race or endurance race you need to be a WERA member....right?!

A typical National Challenge grid is made up of endurance racers, a handful of sprint guys going to all the National sprint races only, and local sprint racers wanting another opportunity to race at a local track against a new group of riders from outside their local region.

If WERA does not have a local region on the West Coast or Oklahoma for that matter what local guys are going to sign up for one WERA National Challenge race and pay for a WERA membership for just one race a year? It makes sense to keep the National challenge series within the Sportsman defined regions only.

I could not imagine the logistics of finding cornerworkers, race officials, and workers at a WERA event outside a WERA region...........in an area that does not even know WERA..........but that is not a matter for me.

I think the idea of using the National series and/or the endurance series as a precursor to an AMA event is awesome...........great exposure......a great way to take advantage of the AMA/WERA affiliation. But with concurrent race weekends.........not practical.

Too bad, I think it would be cool to have a WERA National event prior to every AMA weekend! I could not even imagine how many days off you would need to pull this off.

Good luck Sean.............this will be interesting.

Maybe you can open up the National series to anyone with a racing license from any affiliation...........like the CCS/WERA combined event this year.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually the Western events would be contingent on either working with a local club or the WERA West stuff coming to fruition (which is still a very good possibility right now), so we would have access to officials and corner workers. When we go west we alos will do a weekend license and/or allow the host clubs license - the riders chosing not to buy a WERA license get to race but no contingency or points and no GNF.

Right now we're seriously looking at California Speedway and Las Vegas (either track). I like Vegas a lot for a National since it's got decent air fare and other attractions. Cali will usually get us some one off teams from magazines which means press for everyone and gets us and you in front of the OEM's. The fact that there is only OEM supporting endurance racing pisses me off, and it's because they don't know we exist - a sad truth of racing is if you don't run out West they don't know about you.

9. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

The funny thing about it is, I have races 13 weekends out west at 6 different tracks. Not counting the Pro Thunder race, I cannot think of one race where the grids where larger than they were back east. Grids at Streets of Willow are always pretty big but back east I repeatedly participated in 600 and 750 races that had grids of over 40 (mostly when I was a novice) but never seen that out here.

Las Vegas is a pretty nice track. Technical but a good fast section with plenty of places to sneak a pass. It's about 15 minutes north of the strip/downtown so a night life is accessible.

Facilites are nice but not sure about camping and showers.

Go west young man and show the left coasters that the right coasters can ride too.

10. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Vegas tracks....

In decreasing order of preference for an endurance race...

Spring Mountain (pahrump)
    Classic course (but it needs haybales in turn one)
    AMA course (this is a cheesy NASCAR type course with lots of slippery paint and teeth jarring transitions...lousy pit out as well.)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It'll be Vegas Classic...

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

is that the one across the street, outside the nascar stadium?

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the one.

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

that's a good track! got a technical section that requires a certain technique...have to know the secret handshake to get that info.:D

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

which direction?

16. CK960

CK960 Member

Dont Be Scared

To all the people complaining: DONT BE SCARED. I think that racing out west is an awsome opportunity along with going to the AMA/WERA event at Mid-Ohio. Last year I made the trip to Ohio for the AMA Grand Championships which was during the week when all the PRO guys were there and being around that enviornment gave me a taste of how bad I want to be a Pro rider. I'm all for racing out west or where ever else we can get more experince at new tracks that we've never rode before. I say lets go racing....

17. balistic

balistic Well-Known Member

I used to race WERA in the early 90s when the W in WERA was for west. There are a lot of guys out here that would like to do endurance. CCS Pacific just lost the director and WSMC just had there's quite. WERA could move in to the west and be what it was before, THE WESTERN EASTERN ROADRACING ASSOCIATION!
    Will

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  18. hazbin

hazbin forgotten crewman

it is a national series right,the nation does go coast to coast,ama guys never scared us...play to your competition!!! exposure =$$$$ remember that.

19. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

I would definitely be up for the Mid-Ohio round. My parents live 15 minutes away so overnight accomodations would be free! :D