1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schedule Possibility for 2004

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Mongo, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - this is only for Endurance Teams -

What would you think of doing a Thursday Endurance at Mid-Ohio just before the AMA race? It would be July 22, probably a half hour of practice, hour break, 4 Hour Race (that's a general idea right now and not set even in wet concrete). The earlier start is to popssibly run practice afterwards for the AMA - wet crete applies to the whole idea right now.

Mitigating factors - Grattan will be the weekend before. Only a 6 hour though. There will be sprints Tuesday and Wednesday and you will be able to run pracitce in the morning. Summit Point will be a week and a half after. Makes for an extremely busy 17 days.

Upside - gets Endurance teams in front of the OEM's that will be there for the AMA race. You get to ride Mid-Ohio. It's kind of on the way home form Grattan. Other than the GNF and Cycle Jam it will be the only weekday Endurance.

Also FYI - I am seriously working on at least one, possibly 2 rounds (full Nationals) on the west coast so plan accordingly at this time. I have no details at all other than that right now.

For now lets not complain about the west coast please and just let me know what you think about Mid-O.

2. Cindy Ivey

Cindy Ivey Team Manager

I don't think this is a feasible option for those of us that have day jobs. We have to leave for Grattan and Summit on Wednesday for a Friday practice and racing at Mid-Ohio between the two would mean that we would need off almost 3 weeks in a row. And If we are racing on the west coast that would be even more time off.

My .02.

Cindy

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Rock and Roll!

From someone who went to the WERA event there last year, I think this would be great. (and not just because its my "home" track).

Endurance racing is the area where WERA has its claim to fame, where we differ significantly from the other organizations out there. I think it would be great to get the exposure of racing up against the AMA weekend event.

4. nancy junge

nancy junge Vesrah Suzuki

Would that mean that there would be one round of sprint Nationals that had no endurance race to go along with it? So anyone who wanted to run the entire endurance and national sprint series would essentially have 11 race weekends?

That would mean an extra weekend of travel and expenses to pay for. And two of the 11 weekends would not have all of the possible income available.

Even if there were only 9 sprint rounds this sounds especially unappealing in a year that we might have to pay for the fuel to haul our trailer out to the west coast twice.

We vote no.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There would not be a stand alone sprint weekend.

There will also be contingency money available at the AMA stuff during the two days prior.

6. melissa

melissa Sir

While the idea of racing at Mid-Ohio is very attractive, I have to side with Cindy here. That's a lot of time off of work in a very condensed period, as well as a lot of maintenance needed in a very short period. Throw in one or two west coast races and the associated extra costs and that time off work starts to get even more expensive. Is there another Mid-Ohio date option?

7. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Very well said Cindy. As much as I would love to race at Mid Ohio (last time there was 98) that would be an awful lot of time off work and travel expenses, especially when the left coast rounds are figured in. :(

8. Bad Iguana

Bad Iguana Well-Known Member

I have to throw in against the Mid-Ohio idea, too. Too many races in too short a time. If there's even one west coast round, the loss of worktime becomes prohibitive when you try to do that plus three eastern races in rapid succession. I doubt that AMA exposure would benefit more than four teams, anyway.

9. chrisarillo

chrisarillo Well-Known Member

Rumours of next year schedule sound dauniting. To modify Melissa's idea, is the Grattan or Summit round open to re-scheduling? Mid-Ohio's date doesn't sound convenient but it shure would be cool to run alongside the AMA national.

10. MID OHIO ??? WEST COAST????

whattt??? Sean you need to recouperate from the GNF dude! First off, WERA will go broke racing one or two races on the west coast. You said you wouldnt go to Homestead cause it was to far, blah,blah,blah. Well at least at Homestead there are WERA racers around , on the West coast I dont think there will be enough WERA riders, or people willing to travel to make it worth while.
    As far as the Mid Ohio, yea the idea is cool. You know being out in the spotlight trying to get more attention to the whole endurance concept, but Nancy has a point ( I think) as far as a lot of teams depend on the contengencies of the other races to make these ventures. So its all or none( does that make sense). I raced at Mid Ohio for the 2000 AMA event, cool track but, it will be tough with traffic for the big bikes passing the smaller ones etc. with all the cement in the turns.:beer:

11. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

Everyone gets 1 throw away anyway. So i say go for it for mid-ohio.

12. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

But with mileage points, not all races are equal as far as throw-aways are concerned.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No can change on any of the three dates.

Justin - there are no OEM's near Homestead to make up for the lack of racers sorry. Mostly though there is a good possibility of a west coast WERA affiliate. But it's all open right this very second.

Thanks for the input. Mid-O for an Endurance is a most likely not.

14. melissa

melissa Sir

In addition to Michael's point that not all races are equal as far as mileage points go, you can't really afford to gamble on skipping a race in hopes that all other 9 rounds go off swimmingly if you are seriously going for a championship.

15. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

How about a no points/exhibition/sportsman endurance race? Y'all did a few 2hrs in '00 at Sportsman events. Couldn't you do the same here?

If you create the race, AMA types will show up and run the race for practice. Check the results from the 3-hr with the other org in '02.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's a possibility.

Keep in mind though that so far the ONLY people in favor of anything are living in Ohio....

17. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Indeed. IIRC this is in conjunction with the AMA Sports dilly-o which has an any license will do policy, correct? I'm sure I could talk some of my fellow racers from the regional org to show up for the race. They may be just a few teams, but when you combine the WERA racers that are already there with other regional racers that won't have to spring for a WERA license to run one event and include the AMA guys who will enter for track time, I would estimate the grid to be about 30ish (just an estimate, not a promise).

If entry fees for 30 generate enough revenue for the track time, why not?

Thanks for thinking of it. I'd like to go back to Mid-O for an endurance race. Sprints just aren't my thing, yanno. :)

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Like I said - it's definitely an idea and I'll talk to the AMA guys about it. Might be just what we're looking for.

19. melissa

melissa Sir

I don't know, in light of how one AMA guy acted towards John Jacobi at Barber I'm not all that psyched about encountering a bunch of AMA guys practicing for an AMA national in a WERA National endurance race.

20. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

With a Thursday endurance race,wouldn't the 10 day rule (or whatever that thing is) keep the Pros out?

Also, the race would be an opportunity for the likes of Mr. Jacobi to get some extra track time if he wants it. In fact, I participated in a 3-hr in '02 at Mid-O. If memory serves me, Mr. Jacobi entered the race as did Deathergae, Ulrich, Craggil, and maybe some others. I know CU had a comment in his column about closing speeds during that race. Nothing like going down the backstretch on a GS500 and have the big guys come zipping past and out of sight on their AMA superbikes!

The big guys gave my slow ass plenty of room and respect.

Sounds to me like the idea of the National has been pretty much shot down. This would be an exhibition (for lack of a better word).