1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santiago Villa you make some very good points

Discussion in 'General' started by Spyderchick, Oct 1, 2009.

1. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

The guy came here to race on his own dime. Attracted my attention. Got a tryout ride when an American on my team got hurt. Did great. Got signed. And the hurt American still got paid while he was sidelined, and a bike was waiting for him when he returned. Tell me again how this is a bad thing.

2. Never, as far as I know, because traditionally the AMA has paid better, so the best riders have stayed here, or gone on to world championships. If the current AMA continues in the same direction, we may see it some day though.

3. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

XFBO - Dude, seriously?

4. Doug Polen took some Japanese dudes job away in 1989.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As the only viable measuring stick for a step up to worldwide competition, the AMA does have a duty to people in all the Americas.

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I think I'll quit before Im knocked down and stomped on thank you very much. :D

Like I said earlier, I didnt think it'd hit such sore spot with some ppl by sharing a thought.

What about the Australian racers? :p

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It is common in sports all around world.

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Correct and that's why I added all pro sports.

I guess I wrongly looked at the AMA as our personal venue to build better racers for future world domination, that's all. There was no ill intent meant for any other nations........did you comprehend that PC?

I was gonna use the Olympics as an analogy but stopped short of trying....:D

9. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

The best racers breed the best competition, the better the competition the better the racers.
    By excluding the best racers because they are not 'merican the AMA would be doing no favors to (North) American racers.
    And there is a very talented young US resident currently racing in the Spanish CEV series.

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yes, I was able to comprehend that. Barely. POV is the key.

11. John29

XFBO--

Come by and have a Diet Coke next time you're at a track. I'll introduce you to some Americans in my employ...

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You didn't say anything about a duty to Aussies.

But overall it's simple - racers race and good ones go where the money is. I don't care where the customer grew up, our responsibility as a sanctioning body is the same to all of them.

13. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

John, Ive never suggested that you dont employ any Americans but I'll take you up on that diet coke some time, so long as it comes in a sealed bottle. :Poke:

Mongo- I can respect that, afterall you're in the business to provide the best possible racing. I can see I [wrongly] shared a petpeeve of mine. I hate that we dont have more competitive Americans racing in the big leagues overseas and have always wondered if opening the doors of competition in the AMA had something to do with that.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It does not have to be at pro level. Where I am from all sports were amateur and we had American playing for local basketball team.

15. John29

Deal, but we buy them in sealed aluminum cans. See you there!

16. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

:stupid:

17. APPI

APPI Well-Known Member

As a Dad with a kid trying to get to AMA, I disagree. If and when he gets there, having the highest level of competition is the best way to grow as a racer. If WSBK or MotoGP is an aspiration after that, having an AMA with the reputation as a very deep and talented pool will do the kid better than all knowing AMA has lowered the bar as to only accept US racers.

18. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

I hate people like you !!!!! :(

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Here's one for you -- imagine AMA SBK without Mat Mladin. Does anyone honestly believe Ben Spies would be the racer he is today^ if Mladin (and all other furyners) was blocked from racing here?

^ just read a recent interview with Ben where he says that WSBK is like a walk in the park compared to racing against Mladin -- I do believe he meant the overall mental aspect of it, not the on-track competition level.

20. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

+1 :up:

:beer::beer::beer: