1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salvage Car Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by cm1744, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Notfast

Notfast Well-Known Member

If it was sold through Copart or IAA it would be easy to look up. Many times if you google the VIN you can find the auction pictures. Smaller auctions or AAA aren’t as easy to find. Ask the dealer if they have NMVTIS access, many do and it would show the correct title status.

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Hang on, so you pulled the Carfax, is it actually marked salvage?

3. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I almost bought a brand new VW back in 2003 that had body damage that they didn't disclose. The car was damaged at port and was repaired before it was on the lot. If my buddy wasn't a mechanic at the dealership I never would of known. I have never trusted buying a new car since even though I have multiple times since. Dealers can be just as shady.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wouldn't the lien holder be able to sign it over and the front would still show dads name?

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

That dealer doesn't want to deal with you. They want someone to pay full price for a car with a washed title

Montoya likes this.
  6. notbostrom

If it has been declared a total loss it must be branded salvage and is uninsurable... Period. If it's subsequently rebuilt it can go back on the road but will still have a branded title

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  7. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

How does a car switch hands at least twice with the title still in the original owner's name? How the hell can that dealer possibly apply for a transfer at this point? His name is in no way attached to the vehicle.

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

New titles are never issued on dealer transfers....

Very possible for it to move from two to three dealers and never be registered to a individual.

9. notbostrom

Same way all these race bikes do

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Through Ray Hymer? :confused:

notbostrom likes this.
  11. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Simple as this. While they very well may be operating unethically, calling out their practices is unlikely to get you the discount you’re looking for. Unless there’s some attachment to this car, I’d move on. As for going forward with getting them in trouble, please just be absolutely positive that you can legally defend your accusations. As it sounds like they’re just operating in the shady but legal realm of used car sales.

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Look, this is pretty simple. The car is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay. You are not willing to pay what the dealer wants, because you know the history of the car. The dealer is waiting for somebody else to pay more than you will. That is not the car you are going to get for what you want to pay. Let it go.

13. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

No, it's fraud. It's misrepresenting your product. And I don't give a damn if anyone else is doing it, it's just as wrong.

lopitt85 likes this.