1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sales tax blues

Discussion in 'General' started by Motofun352, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Yep - the laws were updated for all the cloud stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Don't buy from Yankee Scum. :D

(Ohio isn't considered Yankee is it? I have a place I really like to buy from up there.)

3. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Question that the beeb may know: Why must you pay a sales tax on a used item that has already has a sales tax applied?

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Because the law says so. If you would like a more in depth answer, please repost your question in the Dungeon.:D

code3ryder likes this.
  5. DutchWorksMoto

DutchWorksMoto Well-Known Member

Re: revzilla, they had to start charging sales tax for NJ's new law early this year (if over $100k annually in e-sales, you must charge sales tax). I started getting things shipped to my office in NYC because it avoids sales tax, for now. Buying online used to be a haven for avoiding it but of course, since everyone buys online now they had to come for your(their) money one way or another!

code3ryder likes this.
  6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Northwest Ohio is not. The rest is pretty sketchy

Steeltoe likes this.
  7. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I have a brilliant idea!

Why not charge the SAME sales tax nationwide? <runs for cover>

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

They do. It's a 0% national sales tax. The state and local ones, though. Craaaaaaaazy!

badmoon692008 and BigBird like this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

That’s what I said, just make a flat 5% or whatever ‘internet sales tax’. It’s going to be a huge PITA for companies big and small to figure it all out. If I was smart I’d start a business that handles it all for businesses.

10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons the internet sales tax was pushed was because the brick-and-mortar stores were saying the internet sales store weren't charging sales tax and the real stores wanted the playing field leveled.

I know, before we closed, that North Carolina was billing our customers from North Carolina the sales tax difference on ATV's that they bought from us. The customer paid Virginia 5% sales tax, and North Carolina billed them for the 2% sales tax (with late penalties) for not buying whatever in North Carolina.

That was pretty crappy.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

So if I'm an online retailer, I need to pay out sales tax to potentially every state? Man that must be a nightmare to coordinate.

12. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Every state has different nexus rules that determine if you are required to register with them to collect and pay sales tax. Some have made that nexus requirement simply that you have a website that can be accessed from their state and some require that a sales person has to physically step foot in their state.

It’s crazy how complicated it all is but they do it on purpose so companies get it wrong and they are able to collect even more money in interest and penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joec and dtalbott like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

OH is extremely Yankee.

14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

You don't have to in my state, as long it is private sale.

15. code3ryder

If you buy a used car, do they charge you at the dmv?

16. TWF2

Nope. Only if I buy it from dealer. If from private party no sale tax.

17. code3ryder

That is beyond rad!

18. TWF2

No state income tax either.
    Best part is buying used vehicles in California. They have stupid law where license plates stays with vehicle. So many people park them and forget to renew plate for years so when they want to sell it nobody in CA wants to buy it because they would have to pay back fees. If I buy it and drive to NV no back fees and no sales tax :)
    I bought older motorhome for $5k, had 5 years worth of back fees. Drove it over the border, washed and register and sold for 11.5.

code3ryder likes this.