1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sales tax blues

Discussion in 'General' started by Motofun352, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to be charging sales tax these days on internet sales. SUX. Worse than that...I recently tired to buy something from Revzilla. I live in PA so I expected to pay the 6% tax. When I went to check out the tax was 9%....WTF! When I chatted they told me that it was the Philadelphia tax...Damn, I don't live in Philly....no dice, tough luck. Screw them, I told them when they move out of Filthadelpia I would start buying sh*t from them again. :mad:

JBowen33 likes this.
  2. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Sportbiketrackgear.com

3. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I went to a restaurant right out of the city limits and got a soda and 2 refills throughout the meal the other day. I almost shit the bed when they were 4 bucks a piece. I asked the waitress about it and she said that they buy soda from Philly and they have to pay the soda tax even tho they aren’t in the city limits. F Philly

4. Motofun352

I tried them but these are antique parts for a CB400F....hardly a "sportbike"

Greenhound386 likes this.
  5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I have two motorcycles I’ve purchased in the past couple years that I’d love to get a title for but don’t wanna pay the tax.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so if the sale is made/shipped to your zip... why must you pay Phillys rate? Seems like a error on their part.

7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

This is Dungeon worthy

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That is what I am thinking too. When I sell forklift stuff, I charge the tax in their area.

BigBird, beac83 and TurboBlew like this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Its coming for all web sales soon enough. I'm shocked it took this long.

backbone, BigBird and 418 like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

The entire state of NJ has the same rate, but NY has like a page of sales tax rates depending on the county. Talk about fun trying to charge the correct rate

Sent from my smatrfone

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Out here, it is a pain, it is by city.

BigBird likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There isn’t anything Revzilla can get that Brian can’t. They all buy from the same distributors. Call Sportbike Track Gear and give them a chance.

Sportbike Track Gear likes this.
  13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Most ecommerce platforms aren’t granular enough to discriminate below the state level. They’re likely just charging PA’s highest statutory rate in an effort to be compliant because their software can’t do better. There’s commercial software that can integrate it and do it but it’s not cheap and requires additional administration. No small business is going to bother dealing with a patchwork of county and city level rates.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Motofun352

That may be, but in defense of the customer, we're talking about 3% on sales that well be in the millions. Seems to me that Revzilla could be pocketing the difference. In any case I'm no longer a customer (never was a big fan anyways) until they fix their problem.

15. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I am a tax accountant and they charged you wrong. The tax rate is based on the ship to address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  16. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I thought Congress already passed an internet sales tax law?

17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

They did but I believe there is a period of time they are allowing to let everyone figure out how to implement it. One of my dealers that sells online is having to spend a ton of money to get software that tracks and calculates all the tax rates.

Paige and speedluvn like this.
  18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

ok, thanks for the quick confirmation :bow:

19. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

But they should. They can get penalized for not charging the proper tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

This. I think there are plenty of places doing it.