1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safermoto???

Discussion in 'General' started by Alexdouble-R, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Alexdouble-R

Alexdouble-R Well-Known Member

Just wondering why no 1 is using any of their many Airbag vest they sell?
    I'm sure u guys already talked about it on here but I didnt find a thread so I had to ask.
    It looks like it works well and the price is good.
    With all these bad crashes happening lately it made me wonder.

Going back to this past Sunday at the 2 fitty race, the guy that had a pretty nasty crash could have been in much better shape if he was using something like this.

2. Freddy

Freddy Well-Known Member

I race with another org. (sorry). I along with many other guys in this organization are wearing them. I have not tested mine yet. Fits fine, does not interfere. I like to think it was a good $300 investment.

3. Alexdouble-R

I think $300 or even 600-700 is worth the try.

4. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I've crash tested my safermoto vest 3 times with excellent results. I would not ride or race without it.

5. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

I am very interested in these mainly for the neck and spine protection, all the photos I saw of racers were the bigger vests, anyone running the new MLV one?

6. SurfingRools

SurfingRools Well-Known Member

has one of these ever gone off mid race? without falling?

7. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

How do they hold up against abrasion? Id be concerned with a high speed crash wearing the air bag, or causing a roll.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I think I want one of these. But my concern would the over design and having get caught on something (bike etc).

I think one of the models may lend itself to be worn under the leathers (coincidentially, this model would the one that I would least be tempted to wear on the outside).

9. Freddy

Freddy Well-Known Member

I have been wearing the MLV vest. I would say there is little, to no chance of it going off accidentally during riding. 60 lbs of force is required to deploy. It took me a couple practice sessions to no longer notice the CO2 can on my right side. Most racers have the tether set pretty tight, therefore if you do come off it will deploy immediately. I have worn it at Beaverrun and Nelson so far and have noticed no issues when hanging off the bike.
    As far as road rash, I know a few guys in our group have crashed them and I think they held up well. It fits over my leathers with a speed hump fine.

I wear a chest and back protector. The big thing that sold me was the neck protection. I saw a demo of one deployed, and with a helmet on, you can hardly move your head once it's deployed.
    Just my 2 cents.

10. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

11. earacing

earacing Race Dad

My son has been wearing the SaferMoto vest for most of this year, and has had several crashes with it on. It works perfectly for the kinds of crashes that normally result in a hard impact (high sides or over the bars). We are VERY happy with it.

I don't think it would hold up too well if you went for a long slide, but so far it has held up to a lot of abuse.

The Co2 canister is on the front of the vest, and the tether attaches there. I've heard that is a complaint for some because it sticks out a little, but it hasn't been a problem for us.

We've never had it deploy accidentally, although he did tip over on the pre-grid one time and the bag deployed. That was pretty funny for us to watch, although I don't think he thought it was funny.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  12. Alexdouble-R

Awesome guys I think this is good news for us "The Racers/Riders".
    I wish I could go back in time to the weekend I broke my neck at RRR, this type of protection would have kept me from breaking it!!!

13. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Safermoto info

Hi,

My name is Alan Cunningham and I am now the owner of Safermoto. I am a AFM racer and wear the JV vest every time I go out on the track. I have crash tested it 3 times with no more than a bruised elbow to show for it. The product impressed me so much that I bought the company. :)

You can see here in Turn 2 at Infineon(Sears point for the Old Farts :D ) how the vest supports your neck in a crash situation
    [​IMG]
    Breakdancing in Turn 2 is not something I want to do again

We work with Eric Anderson and his kids to keep them as safe as we can. Kenny has used the safety of his vest on a couple of occasions :)

we have a new product that is close to being release, you can see the "Top Secret Video" here Top Secret Video :D
    This moves the keybox to the rear of the vest and will hopefully take care of the racers concern for the keybox getting in the way.

If anyone has any video or pictures of their vest deploying or write ups we would LOVE to get them on our site. Drop me an email at [email protected]

I look forward to spreading the word and if anyone has questions in reference to the products just let me know and I will do my best to answer them for you or get you an answer ASAP :)

ride safe and have fun

14. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

My second crash was a long slide across Turn 6 at Infineon(sears point). the vest took the initial force of the impact but as I slid about 70 feet across the corner it deflated. When I checked the vest later the "tail" section had flipped up(as I was sliding feet first) and the heat from the friction had melted through the outside nylon and also the air bladder causing the vest to deflate.
    As it had already taken all the impact out of the crash it was not a big deal. I sent it back to the factory and had it repaired.

Someone further up posted that it is "cheap insurance". If it saves a single ER visit then it has paid for its self.

I am one of the "believers" and will continue to "preach" until world domination is achieved!!!(oops wrong speech) :) Until everyone has the chance to see the product and test it out :up:

15. Alexdouble-R

My best friend is buying one, I will save up and get one soon.

16. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

Hell, the owner has enough wit that he fits in around here fine. I'm going to look into getting in one of these soon.

"breakdancing in turn two":crackup:

17. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

As long as they are repairable that is cool. What was the cost be to get it repaired? Any plans for hip armor or anything along those lines?

18. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

How close is "close"... I want one of these. After 2 broken collarbones & 3 surgeries in the last 4 years, I'm thinking something like this is what I need!

19. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

I have the MLV-Y vest. Here's my initial review after a couple of track days. Haven't crashed in it yet. John at Safermoto is a great guy. I'll post some photos later.

Fit is great and it is a well-made vest. The tether from the vest to the bike works great. The CO2 Cartridge won't deploy if you forget to detach the tether when you get off the bike. That's happened to me quite a few times - each time I feel a slight tug to remind me to detach. It's got a switch that keeps the cartridge from deploying which you can use when you're not using it. Good idea.

I would say the vest most likely a one-shot deal; but that really depends on the magnitude of the crash.

Only bad thing has been the size of the CO2 cartridge when leaning down around the tank trying to put your head "in the mirror". The cartridge is in the vest, sitting on the right side of your stomach area. If you're turning right, no problem. Turning left, then it definitely gets in the way UNLESS you really twist your torso to move the cartridge on the side of the tank. So, I've found that it's actually helpful in that respect since you really need to twist your torso a lot on most turn; but it can still be a little annoying if you're being tired/lazy. If Hit-Air can make that cartridge flatter, I think they've got a winner (provided the thing deploys and saves the rider's butt).

20. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

I see in the video how it the tether deploys from the back, which to me is great; but I have two questions: (a) where's the cartridge - in the back? and (b) is it difficult to clip-in and clip-out when you're getting on/off the bike?

Thanks!