1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running a motorcycle VIN???

Discussion in 'General' started by jboyd12, Jun 10, 2012.

1. jboyd12

jboyd12 Well-Known Member

Hey so I am trying to run the VIN on a dirtbike I'm thinking about buying to make sure it's not stolen because I have to register it to ride it locally. I was wondering if you guys knew a way to do it for free or at least for very cheap? A lot of these websites try to scam you and act like they're free but you can't actually get a report until you pay.

Also, I was wondering if you could let me know what you think the VIN is on the bike. I had some trouble reading it at first, and although I think I have it now, I just wanted a few extra opinions to be sure. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Take some talcum powder and rub it over the SN. Makes it easier to read.

That's all I've got.

3. run1racing

run1racing Well-Known Member

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Call the local PoPO and have them run the vin. Strange how all the digits are different depths though, and the M's dont match.

6. jboyd12

jboyd12 Well-Known Member

Called the local police and they said that you need to be a police officer to run a VIN and that they wouldn't do it for me..... any cops out there that want to help me out? ;)

7. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you won't find any cops to run the VIN without seeing it in person. Take it to the local cop shop, have them run the # and if it's stolen they can impound it, otherwise it opens a whole big can of worms for them.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

My local police didnt have an issue. I explained I was looking at a bike and knew where it was stored and wanted to make sure it wasnt stolen.
    They gave me the current title owners name and the state it was titled in.

9. martyna

martyna A Little BRIT Different

Mine did the same for me, the sheriff wouldnt but the police didnt mind

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You might call the local auto registration office and tell them that you're planning to buy a bike and ask if they can run the VIN to see if there is a lien against it. Might work.