1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running '07 GSXR600 front wheel opposite direction

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Crybaby™, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Just discovered my front tire is mounted backwards. (Arrow on wheel is opposite arrow on tire)
    I think I've been running the rim rotating correctly, but the tire backwards for a race or 2.
    Is it a must to remount the tire? I'm 99% sure the rim is symmetrical and I can just flip it to have the tire rotating the correct direction

2 questions
    Is it OK to run a Michelin Slick backwards? Consequences/Reason?
    Is it OK to run the rim/rotors backwards from the way they'be been used for years? Mostly concerned about brakes when flipping the rotors.

Thanks

2. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

I'd flip it to the marked direction just for peace of mind

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Crybaby™

Yeah that's the plan. I'm thinking the rim don't care. Tire probably does.
    Just wondering on the brakes/rotors bedding one direction and now the rotors will be running the opposite direction through the pads.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of a tire that can't be run either direction, slick or DOT. The DOT siping is in a particular direction to help direct water, but for slicks I haven't heard anything negative about flipping it, at least in the last 15 years.

Re: rotors and pads, I don't think they care either. At least I can't see how a pad (or rotor) would be directional, but I would be concerned about having the wheel aligned between the forks and inside the calipers if you are flipping the wheel. Actually, maybe the rotor takes the load in a specific direction (the aluminum center part), but I'm pretty sure that the braking surface probably doesn't matter.

In short, you can flip the tire without concern; you might be able to flip the wheel (spacer and alignment dependent, checking rotor spacing); but rotors I wouldn't chance the aluminum carrier to bear loads in a direction opposite the OEM arrow.

5. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

gsxr front wheel isn't directional (it will mount up either way). slicks aren't technically directional either. had a tire guy say he wouldn't mount a slick with a direction arow pointed the wrong way when i asked him to flip it however.

6. Crybaby™

Follow up.
    Flipped wheel ran fine