1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RSV4 vs 1199

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Pergrem

Pergrem Member

I agree with that if its reflashed by a 3rd party. His however was reflashed threw an Aprilia dealer and it was an official Aprilia map. Their map. Not a 3rd party map. That would be no different than me taking my 675R and having Triumph reflash the ecu with their map for the arrow exhaust that is sell as an official Triumph accessory. Slip on or full. Which I had done for full and it didn't void my warranty. I had to use it a few times after that flash and no issues.

There is a misconception that if you buy the Akroprovic exhaust from Aprilia and upload Aprilia's map for an exhaust Aprilia considers the only offical accessory that you keep your warranty. Dealers will tell you if you buy the offical Aprilia Akroprovic exhaust and load the Aprilia map for it, it keeps your warranty. It's doesn't. If you call Aprilia USA they tell you it voids it.

In other countries it doesn't void your warranty. In the USA it does which is idiotic for an official Aprilia produce.

2. Pergrem

Pergrem Member

As for the lever warranty void issue, the guy took his 2016 in for the dash issue them at there is a service bulletin on IIRC.

3. If we are talking about racing, the 1299S will be more competitive right off the showroom floor. It literally is a race bike with lights.

If one so desired, they could do nothing more than change bodywork, install safety wire and grid up. The bike is so good, so fast, so light and with the best brakes and electronics I have used.

I know people always say "it needs nothing", but then they end up changing the exhaust, adding a tuner, gearing, SS brake lines and different pads, air filter, lightweight battery, so in and so forth. But in the case of the 1299S, it literally needs nothing other than what is required to make it legal. A Ducati test rider took a bone stock one to within a few seconds of WSBK qualifying lap times, and this was with OEM tires, no setup, mirrors, mud flap and everything.

I plan on proving that point in 4 weeks. Rob/D&D Cycles installed a bunch of stuff like rearsets, levers, Stompgrip and a few other odds and ends for ergos and crash-worthiness. But the motor, suspension, electronics, wheels, clutch, triples and complete braking system (including pads) are all 100% bone stock. For me, winning is the most important thing. So if I felt like aftermarket parts would give me a better shot, I would change them. But I truly feel like the bike is that good as is.

To really give it a fighting chance, the RSV4 needs some mods done to reduce the weight, some geometry work, a kit ECU, some extensive tuning and a rear shock (the Ohlins shock on the RSV4-Factory is not the same/as good as the one on the 1299S).

But for the street and track days, I still say the RSV4 is the best choice. Very comfortable for a sportbike, great power delivery, great brakes and that sound is mesmerizing.

I will say the RSV4 would be easier to go relatively quick on for most people (track days). It has a wider range of power, isn't as "sharp" or intense and is more user friendly. But for racing purposes, my money is on the 1299S (literally :D)

But with all of that being said, we are splitting hairs. They are both kickass bikes that are likely more advanced than WSBK's of 10 years ago. In either case the rider will be the limiting factor, not the bike. You can't go wrong with either.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    AJ likes this.
  4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You honestly believe because it was on a forum that its true? That a manufacturer sells an item through its catelog/dealers, then voids the warranty for using it?

Unless in some cases where Ducati or other companies would sell "non street legal kit parts".

And remember, an exhaust for racing, that clearly states "not for highway use" and then the customer has an issue in DOT conditions, then how can you find the company at fault?

5. Nope. As is the case with anything anyone says, forum or otherwise, we can only take people for what they say. He very well could be making it all up. But for him to pursue it/escalate it to the level he is taking it and for as long as he has, I have to think he is telling the truth (at least what he believes is the truth).

I can see somebody being like "lemme try this and see what happens, worse they can say is 'no'". But to continue to pursue and plead and escalate it, I don't think anyone would do that if they were just making it all up.

But as always, I could be wrong.

6. Robby-Bobby

I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken:)

Can you imagine you, me and Mongo in a 3 way faceoff about who is right? LMFAO, we would have to get supplies brought in for a peace treaty!

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, you'd both know I was right but keep arguing anyway :D

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  8. Haha I say that all the time. "There was one time I was wrong, it was the time I thought I was wrong when I was actually right".

Or "I could be wrong, but if I am it would be the first time".

:D

Right or wrong is usually irrelevent when it comes to the enjoyment of arguing. :D

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

My $0.02:

And I can only speak for the 1199, not
    The 1299 and not
    For the Barilla.

The pani is pretty comfy for a sport bike. I rode mine from SC to the Indy GP and back on a weekend. A goldwing would have been nicer, but
    These don't get into Ducati island ;)

Up on the dragon (us129) I once encountered a racer (white plates, slicks and a duck aped tag on his 750 gixer, can't remember his #, some photographer dude from TN, traileres the bike up, looked him up, he won some) who was about
    To set new lap records up there. I was tailing him back and forth... After some 3 hours of getting there and all that.

As far as I heard, the 1299 is more refined, the bugs are out, the geo is better, etc...

I'd say go test ride the duc and don't look back!

10. Just when I thought this thread was tapering off, we get Tail of the Dragon lap times. :D

11. In fairess, I have to admit I am jaded about this subject because Suzuki denied a warranty claim for a leaking head gasket on a GSX-R600 with 730mi on the clock because I changed gearing to a +2 rear sprocket.

That 0/+2 gearing might add an additional 300-400 rpm at any given time and anybody with any common sense knows that has no affect on a street bike that is designed to Rev to 15k.

But because I had made "drive train alterations" they denied the claim. Technically they might have been justified, but it still makes me be like "really?".

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  12. Robby-Bobby

That's Blaspherous!

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

Gotta spice it up a bit :cool:

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

Just got a new 2015 RSV4. It is red and the standard model. Mike at KWS installed Bazaz engine management and Arrow slip on. We also installed fork springs and shock spring for my weight. Just got it home Saturday. It was 16 here this morning so I think I will let it warm up a little before I ride it. Plan on using it for the street and will probably ride it a VIR for the full course and at Roebling Road. My 750 is my weapon of choice for VIR north. It does sound great and rode well going up the ramp into the trailer and up the driveway.

15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

That is retarded and if that happened to me, I would never buy another Zuki ever again. Thankfully, I don't like gixxer's already and the only way I'd ride one is if it was given to me, which isn't very likely.

16. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I think some of the people posting have forgot what the OP posted about how he was going to use the bike. Mostly street with an occasional trackday. The Ducati is miserable on the street. Unless you live where there is no traffic and stop lights then it would be a great bike for the street. The Aprilia is nice. I love mine and the V4 is soooo smooth. Don't get me wrong the V-twin is very smooth and powerful also on the Duc but like others have mentioned the HP bump for this year on the Aprilia is nice and the exhaust note with an aftermarket exhaust takes the cake. I put 15k miles on my V4 Tuono this year and I was very happy with it. Only issue I had was keeping the front end down. I don't think you will go wrong with either but from someone who has ridden both I would pick the Aprilia over the Duc.

Pergrem you need to read a little more on the AF1 forum. There have been a couple issues with the V4 Aprilia's and the warranty has covered almost every claim. This is a 1 off the surfmonster is having with his Aprilia. Don't know who screwed the pooch with his claim but yeah he is getting a raw deal. I would not let that determine my choice on a bike because many manufactures will try to get over on you if they could. I have raced an Aprilia and also have one for the street and I have never had any issues getting OEM parts quickly via AF! online.

[​IMG]

17. That is where my comment of "OEMs looking for ways to deny claims". Technically, I did "make drivetrain alterations", but nobody with any mechanical common sense can tell me that changing to a +2 rear sprocket at 600 miles caused the head gasket to leak a lil over 100 miles later. The street bike never saw more than about 10k RPM anyway, and the +2 might have caused it to be carrying an additional 300-400 RPM.

There is no way the two are related, but they used that to deny my warranty claim. Nothing I could do about it, but it put a bad taste in my mouth about the whole warranty thing.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not ridiculous at all from Suzukis POV and based on what Broome has done to his trucks it's highly likely a couple of downshifts overrevved the bike because of the sprocket change....

19. Actually, no. Not in that case. It was my first motorcycle of any kind ever and I did everything by the book. Break in method, 600mi service, everything. I even waited till after the 600mi service to have that +2 rear sprocket installed just to be on the safe side. That bike had never seen over 10-11k when the head gasket started leaking.

Hell, most of those miles were spent getting used to what the levers did and how to make it turn.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still doesn't change that going +2 is a reason a head gasket can get blown. Especially if they're not seeing it on stock bikes. Especially with a new rider. Granted, like insurance companies the OEM peeps that do that job are hired to keep the company from spending money so they can be douchey too but I get them denying the claim.

Semi serious question - if you're trying to learn how to ride why the hell did you change the rear sprocket to make the bike harder to ride?