1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RSV4 vs 1199

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Jan 15, 2016.

1. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Who here either owns or has ridden each? How do they compare to each other? I'm in the market for a new bike and these two are at the top of the list. 1299 would be great, but a little out of my price range at the moment. They'll be ridden mostly on the street with the occasional track day. So, what's the deal?

2. wac

wac Well-Known Member

I went for the Rsv4, same headache between both. 90% track time.

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Paging chaotic!!!

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Easy, RSV4. Because it looks better and sounds better and thats what matters on the streets.

5. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

I'm a long time ducati owner, but there's just something about that v4 sound. I think the ducati may have the edge in the looks department.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. mattbnj

mattbnj Well-Known Member

I have an RSV4 for the street and love it. Better than the Pani hands down for street work and it's not even close. Track is a whole other discussion.

7. wac

wac Well-Known Member

The only real minus I can find is the weight.

8. If you are getting it for the street, get the RSV4. It is more comfortable, better ergos and the exhaust heat won't burn your asshole out.

Bump this thread if/when you decide to race (which is a whole different story/discussion as far as the choice) and we can get into it then.

9. R6_zealot

R6_zealot I just want to go fast!

Ridden both at the track. I would absolutely go with the RSV4 10 out of 10 times.

10. How competitive was your RSV4 racing against other liter bikes?
    Was the RSV4 motor stock?
    More importantly, were the electronics stock?
    How did you manage the injector swap at 7.5k rpm?

11. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

For the street, the Tuono V4 over the RSV4

03RumbleBee likes this.
  12. Very good point. And some people have actually matched their RSV4 lap times on their Tuono. The midrange makes it easy to ride and comes off corners great.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My heart says Aprilia but their dealership network really sucks. AF1 in Texas is awesome though.

cajun2577 likes this.
  14. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Ducati has 0% financing on the 1299

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Financing a track bike .... such a scary proposition.... If you have the cash and want to keep it in reserve in the bank, OK, use their money. I would cry a river if I was looking at a "pile" and still have many thousands of debt...

16. Agreed. I have a personal policy of not financing toys (and no credit cards).

I know some people will throw around numbers of 0% financing vs % interest of money invested and stuff like that. For me it is more about the peace of mind and the confidence I have knowing I aM racing something that I could throw in the dumpster and be clear of it if necessary.

17. AF1 is where I got mine. Really good dudes.

Honda East would be my other choice.

18. alan

alan Well-Known Member

He said its primarily street and occasional track. I brought up the 0% because he said the 1299 would be great but a little out of range. The 0% may put it in his range.

19. Very true, depending on the length. I believe sometimes the 0% is only for a limited number of months, which can end up in a high payment if financing $25k.

Pergrem likes this.
  20. Pergrem

Pergrem Member

I have a new 2016 RSV4 and absolutely love it. The agility is close to that of my 2014 675R I had, surprisingly flickable for a 460 pound bike. Good power all throughout the RPMs. Definitely geared way to high. Needs lower gearing which I plan to do this spring. Two bikes have went 205 MPH so far stock. I don't ever plan on doing that...

Down sides... there only two places in the USA that are truly qualify to service them. AF1 in TX and Amauri in CA. So plan on doing pretty much everything yourself unless you want something screwed up.

Another downside is Aprilia USA are very difficult to deal with. If you buy the OEM Aprilia Akra full exhaust system and have the ECU reflashed with map you get directly from Aprilia, it voids your warranty.