1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RS Taichi

Discussion in 'General' started by CafeRacer, Jul 7, 2011.

1. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

Has anyone in the braintrust here busted an RS Taichi suit? How about seeing one worn through?

Any opinions* on the Brazilian leather suits as opposed to the Japanese leather ones?

Thanks and I'm sorry to bring up motorcycle racing in here.

* opinions are only valid if you've seen a suit after a crash.

2. Brian_45

Brian_45 Well-Known Member

I've had two minor crashes in my Taichi 2 piece suit and it has held up just fine. But like I said, they were both minor as far as a long and fast slide goes...

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I've never owned one. But nice spam spammer!!! Komodo FTW!

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Danny's suit looked pretty good after his get off at Daytona.

5. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

They had one at indy motogp that was crashed in like 20 something times, with pretty minor looking repairs.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

didn't he change his suit out after the crash :confused:

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

They are at the top of the food chain for a reason. All crashes are different and anything can happen but their reputation stands on it's own.

And if you need one call Audrey at Moto Liberty............They support the sport and throw some love to the beeb once in a while too.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Because the inside was dirty:crackup:

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've crashed up and rashed up a few sets of Taichis over the years. My opinion? One of the best suits you can buy.

Get the Japanese leather if you can afford it but the Brazilian leather is just a small step behind.

10. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

I have been down 3 times in my NXL100 (Japanese cowhide) RS Taichi suit. It held up great and protected me from injury each time. Two fairly easy lowsides and one big superman ragdoll highside. The suit held up great each time. I had some minor repairs done the winter after the big crash but the suit was still safe to wear. Worth the money IMO. I bought it from Audrey at Motoliberty.

11. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Another thing about the RS Taichi suits (which has been mentioned here before but is worth repeating) is that many of their suits can be ordered using their Japanese sizing. My son is tall and slender (think Chaz Davies build) and Taichi's 3L Slim fits him as good or better than the custom suit that it replaced. Also very impressive quality throughout and has even been crash-tested with no ill affects. :up:

Attached Files:

12. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Had a highside in one last year and aside from the expected rash/scrapes it held together great. Still use it without a worry.

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I've crashed in mine and it did ok. The color bleeds, though, and turns my arms and hands black and even leaves a big black smudge on the gas tank. I think the color comes off the suit easier than the mess it makes comes off me. :mad:

<edit> So whereas the MotoGP made me bleed, the Taichi does the bleeding for (on) me. :D

14. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Ed Lato had a high speed low side in his... held up better than anything I've seen yet.

15. Revenant.Eagle

Revenant.Eagle What turn was it?

Had two high-speed lowsides and my suit held up great through both. Burned through the elbow area but just barely on the second crash (same side as the first one).

Worth every penny. FWIW I upgraded the included armor to t-pro armor. Great stuff!

16. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Here ya go Ben...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Low side turn five Big Willow. This is the RS Taichi Vegas Evo Japanese cowhide. No seams exploded. No burn through. Excellent suit. Pricey too.

17. CafeRacer

I forgot you rode in that Anthony. Thanks.

18. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

What's the difference between Japanese cows and Brazilian cows? Not being a smart ass... just seems to me a cow is a cow. Is it how they prepare(for lack of a better term) the cowhide?

Ride safe,
    AAron

19. CafeRacer

I'm sure there are people far more knowledgeable than I but....

Japanese cows are bread for their leather. RS Taichi then only dyes the outside of the leather which preserves the natural strength.

Brazilian cows are used for meat and other products. The leather is drum dyed and the dye is allowed to penetrate through the whole skin. Some say this affects the overall strength of the leather.

20. shortbus6588

shortbus6588 Well-Known Member

Have crached my rs taichi in supermoto about 4 times, now have a hole in both knees over the armor, hole in one elbow, real thin spot on thigh thats starting to tear.... Its ulgy and too far gone to repair- thats why I have a mx-1 astar now