1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RS 125 break in

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by BobbyG, Jun 29, 2002.

1. BobbyG

BobbyG Active Member

New to 2 strokes. Just had motor completly rebuilt. Could someone point me in the direction of the proper breakin/heat cycles. Thanks in advance. Also, looking for spare wheels for pre-95 for rains if anyone has any leads.

2. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly(someone doubel check me), it's 3 15 minute cycles. On the first keep under 6k RPM, next keep under 8k, and on the last keep under 10k.......then you should be good to go. Of course you'll wanna check the piston, ring etc before you go all out.

Shane

3. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

4. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Three heat cycles, from cold warm the bike by bliping the throttle till a run temperature 50-55c, shut off let cool completely and redo 2 more times. Generally then I get the bike warmed up and do 2 easy laps and then hammer it....I was also told this by a very well known tuner...

5. BobbyG

BobbyG Active Member

Thanks for all the replys. Read the tech section. Heat cycles performed on a dyno are perfered. But can this be done static or does it have to have a load on motor? Im guessing static heating and cooling at prescribed rpm should be sufficient. Thanks again.

6. Mary#17

Mary#17 What member?

I usually do 3 heat cycles to 55 temp. Then basically keep it at around 9 grand for 3 - 4 laps. then under 10 grand for a few laps. Usually first practice session. I then let go in the next session. This is just for a new top end. If you are breaking in a crank, I would do the above for 2 practice sessions. My break-in may be more cautious than others, but I believe in better safe than sorry.

Mary