1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof top RV A/C unit question/advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Cam Morehead, Jun 18, 2018.

1. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Brands are not what they were years ago. Dometic and RVP/Coleman in recent years have lost some quality. We have replaced a number of them that were less than 2 years old of both brands. There are a couple of new brands out there as well. Advent Air is one. No experience with then though. Generally stick with Dometic or RVP Coleman. But you pay more for them and it may not pay off.

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

So.... I took the cover off the ceiling last night... It's a Dometic 15,000 BTU ducted unit. Our trailer is only 7 or 8 years old. The roof cover has a baseball size hole in it. The air is about 75 degrees. It has not completely quit working. The compressor still comes on. It is not making condensation though. I am going to remove the roof top cover and see if there is a bird's/squirrel's nest in it. How critical is the cover on the A/C? Our camper lives under a big shed now.

3. Cam Morehead

This saddens me......

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yea, that was never an issue. If we were ever using the a/c we were on either 30 amp or 50 amp power, and once using my Predator 3500 inverter generator.

I need to get a good reading across the intake/vents and see what the differential is. Trailer is still under warranty, so I may have a claim if it's not within spec.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

cover shouldn't have any bearing on how it works while under covered storage.. long term exposure to elements when going down the road, or storage uncovered could be an issue.

6. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

You need to be seeing 18-20 degrees temperature differential between outlet and return air. If you aren't seeing that, there is a problem

Cam Morehead likes this.
  7. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

IIRC, most RV air conditioners are not built to be recharged. They lack a schrader valve.

TurboBlew and Cam Morehead like this.
  8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Yep. But if you have a friend in the A/C business they can fix that. On my old trailer a buddy silver soldered a service port into the line after he fixed a leak at a joint. Then vacuum evacuated the system and recharged it.

10. Cam Morehead

I can tell I am going to do some PM on this thing before I scrap it and replace. It seems like it can't get the trailer below 75 degrees on hot days. No direct sunlight hits the trailer. At night it does ok. I'm still curious why no condensation is building produced..... No puddles around the trailer...

11. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

panthercity and Cam Morehead like this.
  12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

R/T Performance likes this.