1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof top RV A/C unit question/advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Cam Morehead, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

We need to replace the A/C unit on our Toy Hauler. 30' box. It's the Work and Play 30WR tag trailer. We have ducted air. We have a digital wall thermostat. What unit and what supplier would you go with? I'm looking at the 15,000 BTU Dometic Duo-Therm Brisk Air II. No heat required. Penny for your thoughts.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dometic is oem on a lot of the units.

Don't know that particular model though

3. Cam Morehead

Is Dometic a good choice as a replacement?

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I'm not sure. I know they are used at lots of plants and several manufacturers. I'll ask at a couole plants tomorrow and see what people think of them.

I guess my point is they aren't some unknown brand, they are a major player in vents, ac, etc in rv land

Cam Morehead likes this.
  5. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

I am also looking for unit to place on top my nv2500 van. I be watching this threat.

6. Cam Morehead

No threat here. Just trying to change out a bad A/C. Lol. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Shenanigans and Phl218 like this.
  7. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well, the threat of being hot looms large, Cameron...

TurboBlew and Cam Morehead like this.
  8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Just put a Dometic 13500 on my 7x12. It seems like a well made unit and works fine. I ordered mine from RVPartscountry and got a good deal. They didn't protect it during shipping except for the original packaging though so it showed up damaged. I got them to replace the shroud but it was a fist fight. Just FYI.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

paging @zertrider

My dometic units are 13+ years old and still blowing 63 degree air out of either one. Though I lost a shroud this weekend... the original screws and a quarter sized piece of plastic is still there! :D

Cam Morehead likes this.
  10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

The sun makes the plastic brittle. The shroud is an integral part of the cooling.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

and keeps water from entering. :( Right now its wrapped in 10 mil poly til the replacement one arrives. :D

panthercity likes this.
  12. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I need to have my Dometic 13.5 unit on my hauler looked at. Just doesn't feel like I'm getting the temp differential across the intake/outlets that I would expect.

I've been in similarly sized haulers that froze you right out of them, and you couldn't hold your hand near a vent for too long.........mine just seems to get "meh" cold, even in ideal conditions (shade, sub-90-degree temps etc.).

Cam Morehead likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

generally the units arent serviceable (like adding chemical) but they should be cleaned & checked. And thats kind of the rib because you cant go spraying coil cleaner indescriminately unless you want to ruin your roof or coach finish! I would have a strong wet vac handy when cleaning them and maybe a plastic drop cloth to keep the cleaner contained.
    Remove the shroud and the sheet metal so you can see if the components look clean and leak free.

14. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

It's pretty much a brand new unit. We've had the trailer almost two years but have only had to use the a/c a handful of times. It's never really impressed, though. 13.5k btu's should be plenty for a well-constructed/insulated 8.5x20 trailer.

15. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

Sorry I thought this post was in the dragon. Over there anything I post is treated like a threat. Lol. :crackup::crackup:

Cam Morehead likes this.
  16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

My ye-olde Coleman mini mach is still blowing ice cold air, seems decently constructed.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never heard of a bad brand, everything Dometic I've had worked great.

18. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

I have a dometic low pro on my 7x15 enclosed trailer and it will freeze you out.
    I ask a friend his dad works at a camper repair place dometic is one of the few brands that offer service parts.
    Maybe it is just low on Freon i would think they can add it like they would a fridge with a saddle port

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

had the 15k btu dometic ac on my toyhauler replaced under warranty. Had to go direct through dometic (i wasn't the original owner of the toyhauler so forest river said pound sand). they sent a full replacement unit... ducted ac as well, separate ducted propane heat . current unit has been running strong for awhile. as pointed out in earlier post, the units have come from different suppliers/countries over the years. can't say what is best, but hang on to your warranty info.!

Cam Morehead likes this.
  20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Does your genny have enough oopmh to get the compressor on the Ac working? Just grasping at straws here.