1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roller Tool Box Suggestions/Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by jeffr1ey, Jun 11, 2014.

1. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

i'll probably go with the HF box. i really don't need anything real fancy.

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I own both of the HF ones. Got over 5 years of daily use on each with no problems.

3. jeffr1ey

:beer:

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Nope, picked it up at local HF store

5. Ghamilton

Ghamilton Well-Known Member

This thread got me thinking as to what tools you really need to take to the track. I take more tools than I use but over think as to what I might need in case of a crash or some other catastrophe. What say you? Take the big tool box or downsize to something smaller? Anyone have a list?

Gordon

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

My list is below

Everything

7. jeffr1ey

An interesting question.

8. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

here is what I take:
    sockets: 8, 10, 12, 14, 22, 32, hex axle socket
    combo wrenches: 8, 10, 12, 14
    allen set
    screwdrivers: flat and phillips (2 of each)
    pliers: needle, standard, safety wire
    safety wire, tygon tubing, tape, knife, dial caliper, loc-tight

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I always take more tools than I need. But the red HE roller will hold it and I can fit my entire kit in it plus chemicals and warmers etc...

Plus it makes the pits look a bit tidier than a plastic box.

10. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

11. I have taken everything from a "Fat Max" from Lowes to the 6' tall/4' wide Kobalt Stainless Steel ones. I usually end up bringing a shitload of stuff that never gets touched. So I recently downsized to this one (this one is purple, but they have them in black).
    http://www.amazon.com/Viper-Tool-St...qid=1402543528&sr=8-14&keywords=Viper+toolbox

I like it a lot. It carries all the tools I need, is very sturdy and well built and has that large compartment for bigger stuff like a drill and box of gloves. Most of all, it doesn't take up too much space in the garage.

When I get a Motorhome and separate trailer, ill get one of those big ones from PitBoxes. But for now this one works great. And the price has been dropped by $100 since I bought mine.

12. jeffr1ey

the little casters would concern me slightly.. especially with the way my 6x12 trailer ramp is configured.

13. I was worried about that too, but it is light enough that i can give it a little lift to get it over the lip of the ramp and then it rolls fine.

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Jeffrey you saw my hunk of crap at Barber... I got it for $40 off craigslist... Its used and beat up but I use it and beat it up so its perfect!

15. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

i take everything & leave a spare set at home, i've learned that its better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I do like that tall cart that broome posted, i may have to obtain one of those, it would fit right next to the wheel well in the hauler

16. I take 2 complete sets of metric open/box end wrenches. One set is standard size, the other set is the "Stubby" ones that are only like 3-4" long. All of them have the box end that ratches, those are really hande.

Then of course a full set of metric allen wrenches, standard wrenches and sockets. One 3/4 drive set and one 1/4 drive set.

Full set of metric sockets in 3/8 and 1/4 drives. Plus all the larger sizes (22-36mm) in 1/2 drive.

1/4, 3/8, 1/2" ratches in standard sizes with extensions. Plus some Stubby 3/8 and 1/4 drive ratches that are only 4" long.

Then a few random tools like:

Safety wire and pliars
    Various screwdrivers
    Exhaust spring puller
    Various files
    Rubber hammer
    Vice grips
    Channel Locks
    Corded drill with drill bit set
    EZ-outs
    Extending magnet (that Eddie just broke :mad:)
    Zip-Ties
    Duct Tape (of each color on my bike)

That is it for the track tool box. But i have a bunch of other stuff that is always in the truck box like a 1/2" drive Impact wrench, hacksaw, metal hammer, lock cutters, pipe wrench, etc.

17. jeffr1ey

i'm in the process collecting all this stuff.. trying to do more of my own work as opposed to paying someone.

great list.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree. I bought a big Husky box 2 or 3 years ago for tools at home. I guess it is ok for what I paid, but I'm now realizing why it was so cheap. It has ball bearing slides and I've always had the cheap gliding kind, but the drawers are hard to make stay closed.

Just saw a DeWalt box at Home Depot last night that looked pretty good. What I liked it the way the hinges are "spring loaded" so it takes effort to open and when you are about 2 inches from closed the hinge sucks it in.

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I came across an internet site where some guy went and took apart all of the boxes and measured the wall thickness, number of drawer tracks, types of casters, type and number of welds, etc. Home Depot, Harbor, Lowe's, and all the Craftsman boxes.

The best box was the Harbor Freight box. Followed by the Kobalt. The rest were pretty much junk. I was going to buy the HF one, but it wouldn't fit in my trailer along with my bikes.

So I went for the second best, which was the Kobalt from Lowe's. Make sure you get the Kobalt one, the other ones are cheap and flimsy. I had a Husky for 3 years, but after repeated loading and unloading from my race trailer, the bottom was pretty caved in. Cheapo casters too.

I am happy with the Kobalt box so far, I sprung for the stainless which is nice but clearly not necessary. I think unlike the other boxes (Husky, Craftsman, the lower end Lowes brand) this one will last me a lifetime.

20. jeffr1ey

Just did a search on lowes website, not seeing any kobalt rollers. I have a bunch of errands, so I'll try to stop by lowes and check them out.