1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roebling

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Diesel, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

So who's ready and geared up for Roebling? I almost have my new bike finished and can't wait to let her loose on the track!

2. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

I'm not ready yet but things are shaping up nicely... can't wait to get it back together and just look at it for awhile... and imagine taking the checkers... there will be some serious competition... stanley, chris, mike and peter crew.... mabey some others too. Steve O? Yipee- I'm nervous just thinking about it!

Buff

3. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

I HAD A SLIGHT SET BACK BUT SHOULD STILL BE READY FOR ROEBLING.HEY I GOT THE NEW RULEBOOK AND WHO DO I SEE ON PAGE 61 THE JENS MEISTER PRETTY COOL [​IMG]

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Yea that was me. Compared to the pic of Tim I look pretty dorky (must've been a cool down lap 8^)= ). Wish they had at least used something taken by Eurotech since the proofs I got from them are kick-ass.

Eric: did you exorcise the demons that befell you're baby?

Buff: way to go with the 3rd place finish in the modern bike stuff. As soon as you figure that SV out I'm sure you'll get a few 1st's.

You know, I'm really looking forward to giving Chris a run for his money at Roebling this time around. I also hope Peter Crew brings his Ossa. Last year it gave him some problems which side-lined him for the Classic Lightweight race but I hope to get the chance to dice with him this time, (not to mention Chuck Davis who was sidelined during last year's vintage only event race with BSA probs).

I can't wait for you guys to see my new bike... Although I haven't had the funds to build a hot new motor during the winter, I spent whatever time I had toward painting steel and polishing aluminum. This bike will be the "Liberace" of the vintage pits (I mean that in a GOOD way). It's a '70 175 frame with new wheels and lotsa detail work. It also has a few special "tricks" I came up with just for the sake of releasing the pressure of insanity in my head.

Let's see the Hep 'Sickle Cats/Team Mobius take home more 'wood' and show more 'metal' this year!!

5. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Nice way to count out a friend... namely Eric!! I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year!

Last year he rode like a bat outta hell but didn't quite place where he should have. I remember seeing the rear of his bike chatter violently throught the turns yet he never missed a beat. This winter I got the chance to check out the shocks he ran last year... it's no wonder he didn't get a podium!! The rebound dampening of his OEM shocks were so 'slow' that he may as well have ridden a hard tail!! Even without the weight of the motor in the frame , it took several seconds for the shocks to rebound after loading them. Just think how useless the damned things were with the motor AND his weight added.

Last year I told the BBS to watch for him because he has talent and as he gained experience, he showed what he was capable of.

With that said, I've run with some fast guys through turns and know what they can do. I've also run with Eric through turns and saw how he can handle a bike. This year I promise you, he will be a force to be reckoned with!! (No pressure on you Mang)
    8^)=

6. footwork

If jens is talking up his ride, it must be something special. I can t wait to see it.
    I'm curious what 777's leak down setback was?

7. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

THANKS DUDE FOR THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE,STILL CHASING THE DEMONS,PULLED MOTOR BACK OUT AM HAVING LOW COMPRESSION PROBLEM IN RIGHT CYLINDER(60LBS).

8. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

Hey Buff, it was nice talking to you at Tally this past weekend. I think my girlfriend is coming to Savannah also-maybe we could all hook up and have din-din somewhere. Good luck in Vintage racing this year.

9. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

TOOT TOOT!! HONK HONK!!

No it's not Buff the V1 & V2 champ blowing his own horn... he has friends for that.

As far as luck goes... he won't need it.

10. footwork

11. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Gotta wonder if it's a valve adjustment issue. His bike ran well at the GNF. The only thing that could go wrong since then is during assembly or while taking the motor apart. That would be either rings put in wrong or valves not having been adjusted before firing it up. I would first check the valve clearance and then tear the motor down to check rings. I doubt very much that the valves were bent just from sitting on the work bench... unless you (Buff)and Kirsten have been 'wrestling' downstairs in the shop rather than on the bed with a sheet between you and her... the way it out to be for procreation purposes only, of course.

Oh... one more thing. Did you bother lapping the valves?

12. footwork

never lapped in my life [​IMG]

If would just tell us where it is leaking from... hello 777 (eventhough I could just call you, this is more fun)

13. schwantzmobile

schwantzmobile Byron Tucker #80 expert?

The new V6 schwantzmobile 7/11 "cheater bike" will be there...I think.
    Still has not been dynoed because the rear shock keeps being sent back and forth from the racing shop and Traxxion, one side claiming the shock is still wrong, one side claiming the shock is right.
    Tough to dyno a bike with no shock. Everything else will be done this weekend.
    See 'ya there.

P.S. Did I read that WERA wants us to use a new way/route to arrive at the track?
    Byron

14. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

ALRIGHT GUYS HERE GOES NOT A LEAKDOWN PROBLEM AT LEAST IM NOT DETECTING ALEAKDOWN PROBLEM,FOOD FOR THOUGHT THOUGH REMEMBER EXPERIMENTAL CAM THAT HAS BEEN IN TWO DIFFERENT MOTORS.MAYBE CAM WEAR IS AFFECTING IT,CAM WAS SET AT 102DEG,SET BACK AT 106 WHICH IS EXACTLY WERE IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE.ALRIGHT LETS HEAR SOME INPUT. [​IMG]

15. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Have you used a compressor to pump air into each cylinder (using the compression tester adapter), then listening for a leak while the cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke? A hissing sound would let you know of a leak:
    if heard in the exhaust/exhaust valve leak
    carbs/intake valve leak
    case breather/rings or cracked/holed piston

16. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

YES I DID IT EXACTLY THE WAY YOU DESRIBED.NOT TOTALLY SURE IF EXACTLY AT TDC,DESCOVERED 2 THINGS 1BETTER HAVE A WAY TO TURN CRANK 2 TAKE THE CARB OFF(EITHER THAT OR DUCK).ANYWAY COULD TURN ENGINE UNTIL DIDNT HEAR ANY AIR ESCAPING.

17. footwork

good- so it sounds like you have proper compression. Why do you think there is a problem with your motor? I'm not sure I know what is going on here. [​IMG]

18. WERA

WERA Administrator

I'm ready [​IMG]

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry man, didn't get proofs from Eurotech this year so I used what I had...

20. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Hey... I guess looking dorky just comes naturally for me. Dorky or not, I really DO appreciate the exposure.

Just think, when I'm older, gray and telling the grandkids about the good ole days of racing, they'll have something to laugh about instead of being bored.