1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roebling road track record demolished

Discussion in 'General' started by Mblashfield, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

rocky stargel and his crew were at roebling this past weekend with a special guest. rocky also brought a few of his newly imported aprilia 250 GP racebikes rumored to be making 95hp. on saturday special guest chuck sorenson on one of the aprilia's burned off some 1:14's with relative ease. rocky mentioned that the track record was only about a second away. i think that was too much temptation for chuck because on sunday after a minor crash in T1 and some quick repairs he ripped off back to back 1:12.8's followed by a 1:12.4 backed up with a 1:12.07. the record was 1:12.75 set by steve grigg on a muzzy raptor. this spectacular session was witnessed by rocky and his crew, ward and adam, and myself and mr national champ giovanni rojas.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool but I thought the record go dropped into the 11's last year (could be wrong, usually am with regard to track records!).

Congrats to Chuck for some seriously fast laps on a ring ding machine [​IMG]

3. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I thought Russell had an unofficial record in the 10's on the Hardley VR.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe that's what I was thinking of, unofficial rather than official. I would call Chuck's official enough since there were plenty of unbiased witnesses (hard to find at a factory or tire test day).

5. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I forgot what makes it official. I was there when Grigg set the current record on the Raptor. I caught it on my own watch too. That's good enough for me [​IMG] Derek King got into the high 12's & low 13's one weekend. I thought I was doing good hangin' with him the day before in the MW GP race. Found out he was running on an ill bike. On his back up trusty TZ he smoked everybody!

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is nothing to say what is or isn't an official record but it's generally accepted that if the times are verified by a number of unbiased sources (multiple watches being used by sanctioning body officials, combination of team members and press, combination of non-involved teams, whatever) then it's official. Times at tests where everyone has an interest in making a new record (and this can easily include the track for the extra press it gives them) for their own gian then the times are not considered official.

7. Mblashfield

dereks fastest time is a low 13 on his tz. rich conicelli turns consistant 13's on his ss gixer 750.

ive never seen anyone put turns 3-7 together so perfectly as chuck did sunday. he would come off 3 at full lean and immeadiatly flip over to full lean into 4 with no hesitation whatsoever. he was going into 1 full throttle past the 2 marker. coming off of 4 he would shift twice then d-hift into 5, then shift twice coming off of 5 into 6 holding the gas on till he was out of site into 7. the engine revs were always at peak rpm, it looked and sounded incredible. i think the bike was right out of the box. it had magnesium heads and carb bodies, titanium pipes, ultra trick BBS rims that were works of art. rocky's got 3 of them i think, maybe they are all chucks for next year, who knows???

8. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Damn, Rich's into the 13's now? [​IMG]
    Remember when Dave Callahan was doin' high 14's on his F3 a couple years ago? Him and Conicelli were racing against each other that race.

[This message has been edited by Ex CCS Racer (edited 12-17-2001).]

9. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Hey Matt, who does all your machining?

10. Mblashfield

what is your name, i must know you, you have been everywhere i have and know alot of the people i know. are you my..........father???
    my name is not luke, my name is not luke...

machine products of NC, here in fayetteville
    subcontractor of goodyear, kelly springfield, black and decker and best of all, dennis cashwell owns it, who is dennis cashwell...
    the husband of one of my girlfriends highschool buddies...

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

he was a bbs lurker, before that he was a racetrack lurker

12. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

Matt,

Thanks for your report. It was great getting to see the expressions on your and Gio's faces as Chuck was ripping around. The truly exciting thing is that we are only scratching the surface of this RSV 250. The suspension oil was original, the valving untouched, the internal gearing was wrong. Don't even get me started about the motor [​IMG]. Hey, we had some fun, generated some excitement and the weather was perfect.

Thanks,

Rocky Stargel

13. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

Are you saying there's a possibility of full blown Aprilia 250 GP's running the AMA 250GP class next year? [​IMG]

Hot damn! [​IMG]

14. TwoCycler

Yep. I am glad to see somebody else is as excited about this as I am.

Rocky

15. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

Great Job Rocky!
    This is gonna be a fun exciting season if you guys are experiencing that kind of success already, smokin!

Happy Holidays!
    Monty Warsing

16. TwoCycler

Monty,

I am still tired from the amount of work I put in last weekend. Think you can ship me a case of Hansens???

Rocky

17. TZ925

I'm out of my 2001 supply and waiting to see if my 2002 "contract" will be renewed. If it is, I'll gladly ship you a case. I'll ship you TWO if I can ride one of the RSV's at Daytona?!?!? I'll throw in a t-shirt too..how can you say no to that? [​IMG]

Monty

18. TZ925

...I promise to let Chucky finish in front of me...

19. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I've allways heard that to be an official time, it has to be at a sanctioned event. i.e. WERA GNF. Timed by the official time clock.

------------------
    Ben Elstad
    Dog It Out Racing
    Wheelchair racer
    P.T.P. member

20. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

What about a sun dial for us slower guys [​IMG]