1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Racing Schools

Discussion in 'General' started by smknjoe, Jul 21, 2000.

1. smknjoe

smknjoe Well-Known Member

I'm planning on taking a road racing school in the spring of 2001. I live in central IL. so It's kinda slim pickens around here. I know Bargy has a school at Gateway and I've gotten some information on Leaning Curves in Beloit, WI, CLASS at Road America and I think Star racing school has one in Idiana. Do must riders in WERA go through the Bargy school. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

2. kneedragon234

kneedragon234 Well-Known Member

Wera holds a school for new racers on certain
    race weekends. Beside each of the scheduled
    races you will see "rs" for riders school.
    Wera covers the basics with about three to
    four rounds of practice including your first
    mock race. I've never been to a Bargy
    School, but from what I hear, he's the best.
    Get an issue of Road Racing World next
    January and you'll find all the schools you
    will need.

Take 'er easy and don't procastinate like
    I did!! ( 31 years old, just started last
    year!!

3. I attended Ed Bardgy`s 2-day school in JAN and would recommend it,as it was all about roadracing.(No MSF stuff).Like Kneedragon I wish I had`t waited so long to get on the track.(I`m 37 years ancient).If you are riding fast on the street,I`d strongly suggest checking out racing.I`ve felt good about every race I`ve run,and felt guilty about too many street rides I`d gotten away with.Hope that helps. [​IMG]

4. smknjoe

Thanks for the info kneedragon234 and WERA#137. As far as the advice about procrastinating, too late. I'm 30 and have put this off for a couple of years. Went to a WERA race at Gateway in March or April of 99, Roger Lee Haydens' last race with WERA I think, and was really interested in learning how to get involved. After a get off and a couple close calls from pushing it too hard on the street I figured I better learn how to do it right as the temptation to go fast is always there. Thanks again!

5. wera917

wera917 Well-Known Member

Check out Jason Pridemore's school www.starmotorcycle.com, or Keith Code's school at www.superbikeschool.com, or Ed Bargey's school at www.mindspring.com/~ebrs/index.htm

There's more than that, but they are all three good schools. The WERA school isn't really much of a 'school' more so a covering of WERA's rules, flags, etc, and a tiny bit of track time. I'd do the WERA school before racing, but I'd do one of the above schools first to work on your riding and get some track time.

All are excellent corses and cover racing, techniques, smoothness, etc, etc. You're lucky because you live near Putnam Park raceway (30 mins west of Indy) which is one of the nicest tracks in this region. Both Star and Keith Code normally have schools at Putnam. Bargey's you will have to travel for, but not too far - he always has them at Talladega, AL, which is also a really nice little track.

6. smknjoe

What about a bike? I've got a 98 F3 and was planning on using that for racing, but I've heard and read about starting on something smaller as they're easier to learn on, however, the F3 is almost paid for and I don't wanna have to buy another bike for racing. I'd rather race the one that's paid for and have a different one for the street. And I'll have more experience on the F3 when I do start racing. Sounds like I'm trying to convince myself.
    Any thoughts?

7. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

it is better if you start on a lightwieght bike but like you said you allready have it
    don't worry about buying a street bike if you are serious about getting on the track then you will more than likely give up street riding I race a f3 and it is a good bike to learn how to ride fast and relible.good luck and welcome. if you have any more questions
    just ask.
    later
    Ricky

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

One of the biggest downfalls to starting on a 600 is that you will be put in the "meat grinder" class, not to mention this is the most competive class with all of the fastest guys. I would tell you that I think you would learn a lot by following the fast guys, but you probably won't be able to keep up with them. Your situation sounds identicall to mine. 30 yr old street rider been riding for a long time..pushing too hard on the street.....blah blah blah...
    I sold my 98 (paid for) ZX 9R and purchased a FZR 400 and prepped it for the track and I have never looked back. I went to Learning curves race shool at Blackhawk Raceway in Beloit, IL then attended the WERA race school at Putnam. I would recommend attending as many schools as you can afford to get used to getting passed at speed and to learn how to ride. I am just about to complete my first full year of racing and absolutely love it. I had a high speed get off which hurt like hell, but I still think racing is safer than street riding and I recommend track time to street time to anyone considering it. I would also recommend visiting a race weekend just to see how it is ran and to familiarize yourself with the whole weekend. One last recommendation......sell your 600 (or keep it for the street) and purchase a race prepped FZR 400, Hawk 650, SV 650 or an EX 500 and start in the light weight classes. The light weight bikes are more forgiving, teach you to carry more corner speed, and the grids are smaller. Just my .02 worth...I would be happy to talk to you privately about getting started if you like. Good luck!

9. Happytrack604

Happytrack604 Well-Known Member

EX500's are all over the place prepped to race and very affordable! This is a good starter bike, stock ,it is reliable.
    I am 41, started racing this spring on a GS500. It is stock and generally has less power than anything else out there, but it is a great handler, better than the EX, but about 10 less horses.
    Get a WERA rule book and see which classes you can run your choices of bikes in. I can probably get a GS500 in more different classes than nearly anything else, so I can get all the track time I can afford.
    Track time = get faster = be safer = big [​IMG]
    Also, campaigning bigger bikes (600's, etc) tires and stuff cost a lot more and bigger horses eat tires and stuff faster.
    Good luck and dont fail to listen to Jeanie, she's sharp!(Ed Bargy instructor) Rob

10. smknjoe

Any of you guys or gals gonna be at the Putnam race 8/12-8/13? I would like to see what all goes into a race weekend. I've got more questions than I can think of right now, but I promise I wont be in the way too much. I talked with a racer at the St. Louis cycle show in Jan and he told me that if I planned on racing the F3 to keep it pretty much stock so I can compete in more classes and get more experience. How much "race prep" can you get away with and still enter in 600 production classes? Thanks for the advice Doug. I certainly don't want to get into the "meat grinder" class just yet. I've read a few posts about the race at Road Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and that souded more like NASCAR than motorcycle racing. I do like the option of either a FZR400, EX500 or an SV650. If I were to race one of those how many classes can they be entered in? Thanks in advance!

Cory

11. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

I don't race in the 600 class but know many that do and have watched my fair share of 600 races. I to was a street rider one step from a another ticket, hospital or worse. I race an EX 500 and it was without a doubt the best thing I did. I took a fast 600 guy's advise when starting racing and got a lightweight bike. Oh that fast guy is Lee Acree. I still have desire to ride on the street from time to time but not as much as I use to. You may or may not keep that need to ride on the street once you start racing. My advise is to get an SV,EX,Hawk or GS. Keep the 600 for the street. If you buy an EX for example just because I race one so I know that best for what I can race in. You can run Formula 2, D superbike, Clubman, Lightweight Twins, Vintage 5 (ss trim), Heavyweight Twins, Lightweight Solo 20 and Lightweight Regional Endurance. I would recommend racing a lightweight for a couple of years and then maybe consider moving to the middleweight class. Best of luck.

Chris
    #476 Expert

12. wera917

I'll be at Putnam that weekend, along with several friends ... we'd be happy to answer questions/entertain during the weekend. Look for the black 8 by 12 Commonwealth Racing trailer with lot's of Ducati's around it. One of them will be a nappy looking #917 black and red one with duct tape 'enhancements'. The rest are quite pretty though!

You'll have a great time spectating at the event, even though we're 'club level' there are some fantastic races with some really fast guys fighting for 1/2/3 (and often 12/13/14/etc :-> )

Wander the pits and check out the variety of bikes there, how they're prepped, etc. Ask lots of questions, most of the racers are very friendly and happy to help new guys (I know because I am still a new guy). Just don't bother anyone as they're pulling on the leathers to go out for a race or frantically swapping tires as a thunder cloud rolls in - we can be less the friendly at those times [​IMG] But a lot of time 'racing' is spent waiting for your race to come or 'bench racing' with your buds.

Pick up a WERA rulebook at the event or print it out from this web site, it details what must be prepped on a bike. Mostly it's lots of safety wiring, which isn't as bad as it seems at first, though if you're like me, invest in MANY drill bits - or get a drill press. As far as the # of classes a SV650/FZR/EX500 can enter, I don't know for sure off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure the SV can go in 2 or 3. I know it can run LW Twins and D superbike. Have to just puruse the rulebook on each class to see where those bikes fit in. You can always ride 'up' a class for track time, just don't expect to place well in those particular classes [​IMG]

13. bdomenz

bdomenz Well-Known Member

I highly recommend -- California Superbike School. I've taken this class for the past three years -- once at Putnam which must be pretty close to you. I can't tell you how much I improved as a rider from this!!!

Now I can't stand it zippin around the streets dodging potholes and bullets (aka cars and trucks), and like you - am getting into racing at 32.

This WERA group has been awesome at providing advice for the new guy circuit.

14. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

I will be at Putnam for the August race as well as the September race. FZR 400 #914. I usually stay away from the CM Ducati pits.....they make me look like the poor sap I am [​IMG] No, not really but you are welcome to stop by and talk to me as long as I am not pulling on the leathers. C'ya at Putnam

15. smknjoe

See ya at Putnam!!!!!!

Cory

16. wera122

wera122 Guest

That was me at CMP this past weekend, pulling the leathers on while some totally cool racer dudes were helping me get the rains on the bike. I got the last pinch bolt wired as 3rd call was given and promptly went out and crashed in the race.

I was pretty much less friendly that whole afternoon until I got the bike back together and had a beer when the day was done. [​IMG]

17. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

don't forget straiting the steering damper
    [​IMG]

18. Kris18

Kris18 Guest

I think you guys are brothers. Yall must have different moms or something. Rick's mom had a ponytail, Tom's didnt. Yep that's it!

19. wera917

Aww come on now, I'm doing my best to make the duck fit in ... I mean I've got duct tape on every body panel now! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. wera917

Sounds very familiar - I think you and I were doing the exact same thing. The last bit of safety wire and bolts torqued on the new rain tires as the final call was being made. Sucks you fell down, sorry to hear it. Hope you and the bike made it through with little damage!

Ditto the beer - been there done that too. Sometimes the best way to get over the scratched bodywork [​IMG]