1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Atlanta

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

assuming that you are doing your homework (track map, lines) and are a quick learner... watching on-board videos and doing some visualizing with braking, turn-in, gas and shifting... heck DO IT!!!

TurboBlew and ToofPic like this.
  2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Yes!

Barring some disaster, I should qualify. I got within .03 of the cutoff in VIR, and that was on a track I had never seen before, and my first time on an SV (I rented a bike), and I'm riding far better now than I was then. Not taking anything away from the track, but fast is all relative, it's an SV, not like we're going 180.

I know I am at the slower end of the field, but as I've stated before, I'm in it for the experience. It has pushed me to ride better and rekindled my fire in the sport. Last year between the WERA Barber round in June and the MA Barber round in September, I dropped 3 seconds on the same bike. I ran a 1:40 at Barber on the SV and while that was only good for a 20-something finish at the MotoAmerica race, I didn't get in anyone's way (didn't get lapped) and that lap time would have been good for a top 3 on the WERA or AHRMA weekend at the same track. Every pro race series has winners, contenders, and back markers. I'd rather be a back marker at a pro race than get another Club win/podium, for the same price!

We can't all be top 5, or even top 10. Does that mean one should stop trying? If the only ones who showed up are the guys who regularly won in the pro ranks, we'd be watching 5 Supersport guys and 3 Superbikes.

Don't worry I don't take offense to RB's comments, he calls 'em like he sees 'em, and if there was a choice between going to Road A and club racing half a season, his advice would be sound. But this race will cost me the same as a CCS weekend, with the exception of the hotel rooms.

5axis, r6boater, 23103a and 5 others like this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You've got the right attitude and I'm sure you will qualify and have fun. I'm jealous, wish I could be out there too.

TurboBlew and Gino230 like this.
  4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

if you get rear chatter from only using the front brake into 12 (or 10) turn your idle up(unless u got one of them fancy slipper clutches lol)

5. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I would try to find a nice fellur to follow around at a decent pace,that has track knowledge,and won't mind helping you.
    My un asked for advice would still be to work on 10a,unless your comfortable coming in wide open to nothing on speeds.
    Have fun either way,its an awesome track!

Phl218 and Gino230 like this.
  6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Or just do it like I did, hold the clutch in on corner entry...Tom Kipp style baby! Damn twins... :D

5axis, motoboy and Gino230 like this.
  7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

We have a few turns like that at Homestead and of course Daytona Turn 1 (6th to 2nd). Just got to pick your brake marker and adjust from there. Always looks easy on the videos, then you get there and you're like "WTF this is harder than it looks!"

Daytona the trick is to stay wide open as long as possible, then get it slowed down without ruining your mid corner speed. But isn't that the goal in pretty much every corner? :crackup:

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I saw a couple bikes go over the wall in the essess at the GNF in '93(i think). Seems like it wasnt that unusual until before they changed the track layout for bikes....I wonder why they changed...:D

9. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I really miss watching The Kipper race. He was my favorite until Corser showed up.

Kris87 likes this.
  10. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I never knew after retirement he studied and became a pastor.Thats awesome to hear.Great racer to watch!