1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rivet masterlink is pissing me off!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tony715, Mar 2, 2004.

1. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

rivet type masterlink:

does anyone have any experience with these suckers!! i have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how this thing goes together. looks simple enough

i have the link in and can't get the plate on to squash the stems. should the plaste slide on easily or should it be a bitch.

there has got to be a trick that someone can share.

thanks

tony:clap:

2. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

They can be tricky. I'll take a pair of channel locks to get them started(barely). The holes aren't covered up so you can get the post/holes lined up. Then you can use a chain press to finish the job.

3. zrx479

zrx479 Well-Known Member

I'vw used a C-clamp to squeeze them on before. Push it on as far as possible, then take a side plate from the old masterlink and put it on top and push the side plate all the way on.

Basicaly the same as using a chain press just cheaper!

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Ok, first off the plate doesn't squash the stems, there's a tool that does that. Second, the plate won't just press on with light pressure, (like a clip link plate does) there's a tool that does that. Are we detecting a pattern here??:D :D
    Seriously, doing a rivet link right requires the right tool. (And yes, for all you "I once built a nuclear reactor out of abandoned rusty farm implements" types, I know that there are work arounds). It REALLY helps to see it done once before doing it yourself.

5. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

get a tool to do it you will save your fingers and get the job done in half the time of tring to rig something.Motion pro number 08-0066 should be around 45 bucks most dealers can get it for you

6. Worth every penny!!!

7. Limey

Limey Well-Known Member

Hey Tony:

i just did this, and the right tool really helps.
    The chain tool i used had a couple of attachments, one that you put on was a plate with a groove that enabled you to tighten a bolt on to the plate that pushed the link on to the posts. The groove on the plate enable the posts to come through the link. Then you swapo the plate for a tool that you position over the posts and tighten down. This squashes the end of the post.
    im not that mechanically inclied but with the right tool it took 5 mins.

cheers

8. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Just make sure you order a couple extra pins with the tool. Don't ask me how I know;) :D .
    Cheers, Lee S.

9. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

thanks to all for the help. i thought i had the right tool just using it wrong but found that i had the correct tool to push out the pins and break the chain but...

need the press to put a rivet type link on. luckily a friend had one and i am all put together. took 10 minutes

one last question. i think i have the link on tight enough. i was told not to squash the pins to much or i would ruin the part. is there a certain torque recommended ? it looks good but i kinda thought the stem end would look more flaired than they do...

see you guys at the track! i owe you all a beer. and we make our own so don't think your getting any MGD!!!

thanks again

tony:beer:

10. Limey

Limey Well-Known Member

hey tony;

When i did mine i compared the pin i was working on, with the other.
    The pin just gets a slight mushroomed look, the tool kit didnt have any torque recomnedation, but you are right, it dosnt look that obvious.
    sorry i cant be more specific.

cheers