1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revolting Nelson or Revolt At Nelson?

Discussion in 'General' started by John29, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad brad

mad brad Guest

true. so why show up in the first place?

why say "1:05's will be too fast. lets all not race."

what if batey said. "trick you robert, i'm racing." damn right robert would have raced.

to sit and say you know you will KNOWINGLY endanger your life for a silly club race postion is just ....... well...... silly.

2. Princess886

Princess886 Kidd's Mechanic

OIC....that makes more sense now. Sorry for the interruption. Continue. Mongo, how many Wera racers are there? Approx. how much would an airfence for Nelson's cost? If the riders are worried THIS much about safety, why not make a WERA liscence more expensive so you can come up with the extra funding. It seems to me that people bit@h about prices, but when they want safety, price is not an issue:confused:

3. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

About 3000 WERA racers.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

there are plenty tracks here.personaly I like to go to tracks I never been to before.I have done it in past,gone to easy coast tracks to do wera racing,and will do it in future when I get chance.I dont care what part of country track is in.

5. Princess886

Princess886 Kidd's Mechanic

Sweet, and an airfence is how much per mile? or foot? How long is Nelson?
    an extra 50 bucks a racer is $150,000. Surely the racers would pay 50 dollars extra towards an airfence?
    Don't worry Kidd, I'll take care of your extra $50. :)

Edit: a bit of research shows about 1.25-1.33K per foot?....that's about 75-80K for 600 feet. Correct?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

the 2 that didn't race? Yep.

7. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

there are 2 different types of airfence. One that requires a leaf blower to inflate, and the other is a "rigid" type, that requires assembly. The thing about airfence is that it needs to be deployed and then removed, as most tracks also allow auto racing, but it also needs regular maintanence and storage, so that becomes part of the cost as well.

JU could tell you more on what each type costs per section, to purchase and maintain.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The "doghouses" or AirFence Bike are just under $1k each for 6.5 feet of coverage.

9. teampolevault

teampolevault Well-Known Member

Ask Batey,Junge or Acree yourself personally through a pm why they chose not to race on sunday. Rueben regrets the hell out of the decision he made to go ahead and race and that is not my opinion or bullshit heresay. Nelson needs some improvements(period) and does not have to be done today but it does need to happen sometime, the airfence suggestion sounds like a good start.

that is all...

10. me b racin

me b racin Thermosman is my Hero

Here it goes;
    Yes I did do the regional races before the WERA National at Nelson, Yes there was Suzuki money, and yes I won all the races and broke the track record. I did not go out to try and break the track record, my lap timer batteries where dead and therefore had no idea how fast or slow I was going. I rode to my comfort level and several times over it.

Every time that I told someone that I was going to Nelson they all laughed at me, and said have fun with a sly smile on there faces. I thought how bad can it be, and I went anyway. After the first day of riding at Nelson I called my friend Larry Denning, who of course laughed at me again. I told him and several others that I did not want to go back to Nelson to race the WERA National. I felt that it wasn’t going to be safe for any of us to race at a competitive level. I also mentioned that I should call Mark Junge, and a few of the other top teams to see if they would boycott the round due to safety issues.

Let’s say I would have called Mark, Sean, and others. Do any of you think that the races would have been moved to another venue, cancelled, boycotted, or the tracks many safety issue remedied in time for the national. No I didn’t think so either, so I packed my bags and headed for Nelson Ledges. I was already entered for Friday practice and the sprints on Sunday.

I did not turn one wheel at Nelson all weekend however I did try to go out for 600 practice, but was hampered by some mechanical issues on my 600 that Mark and Tony helped me fix. While fixing the problem on my 600 Lee had come in from practice (his first time to Nelson) and I brought up my concerns about racing there. He agreed and said that if I could convince Mark and Tray not to race he wouldn’t either.

One of the reasons for the riders selected was that we are all contesting some of the same classes and battling for WERA National Championships. Second Team Vesrah has been racing WERA for a long time, and if they are involved it speaks volumes for the need for some safety improvements at the tracks we race at. I was also approached by several other riders that had heard what was going on and if they should boycott the races as well. I told them that they needed to make up there own minds.

I made it no secret that I was going to go somewhere else that weekend and race. ASRA was hosting an event at Autobahn, which is on my way home so I decided to stop and do a few races. I race for Money it is my Job!! While at Autobahn it rained Saturday night, and if any of you where at the WERA National at Autobahn you would know that I expressed concern about the patches being very dangerous in the rain. I talked to Sean about the safety issue and we had a special racer meeting to vote on weather we should grid by points or qualifying. Qualify we did. I made a commitment to my sponsors at the beginning of the year to do the races that I say I’m going to do. The ASRA race at Autobahn was not on my schedule of events and therefore I choose to sit out in one of the races because of the track conditions. Before any of you start thinking that I broke my word to my sponsors for not racing at Nelson you would be wrong. I called several of them to make sure I had their approval for doing so. If you have excellent sponsors like mine they will all tell you how important safety is to them as well.

It was very generous of Sean to refund our money for the Nelson weekend. I did talk to Sean briefly before leaving the track and informed him that I did not expect a refund although it would be nice. I told him to keep my entries, transfer them, donate them to the air fence fund, or refund them I didn’t care. I left it up to him to decide. Any question of to why I was leaving was not brought up, any thoughts that I had to improve the track conditions was not discussed either.

I understand that racing is dangerous and that none of the tracks are going to be 100% safe. However this is a National race series and that means the whole United States, and I cannot believe that this track is of National status. VIR, Road America, Mid-America, Brainerd, and I sure many other tracks could be found to do a National race at. I am not saying that these are the safest tracks in the United States, but they are way safer than Nelson Ledges.

I will not pretend that I know how to run a racing organization. WERA does an excellent job of putting together regional and national races. It is part of the reason that I choose to do the WERA National series this year.

I don’t feel that I need to explain to anyone that has ever raced at Nelson Ledges what kind of improvements need to be made. It does not matter what your lap times are, if you are riding at 100% your chances of crashing is greatly increased. Racing or competition in general is giving 100%, why should we be asked to do anything different.

This will be my last post on why I did what I felt was needed to be done at Nelson.

Special thanks to all my sponsors who support me on all safety matters now and in the future.

11. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

This sums it up the best IMO " ...and I cannot believe that this track is of National status. "

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

me be racin, well said.

Oh and as for your sig line, you might be a little bit faster than I think I was...

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:up:
    give that man an award.:D
    seriously, sounds like a professional.

14. redducman996

redducman996 must go faster

did you forget it is the only track that can have the night endurance races at.
    and the only track that does not have an ordinice for sound

15. mizter1

mizter1 Mizter1

Sent ya an email Sean.

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Sorry, you're incorrect.There are plenty of tracks that a night race could be run on. Cost is the factor on running else where.

17. redducman996

redducman996 must go faster

well then its the only track that we can have a night endurance race at right:Poke:

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not up to me to say. Sean talked about Vegas for next year. I'm only concerned about the next two races :)

19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Mesquitos are deaf............

20. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Then it's off to dominate Moto-St, huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.