1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retiring after 24 years. Time to get to the track!

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

^^^This^^^ The current generation of tires are far superior to the old stuff. Good and last a long time, especially at a novice pace. If you ran advanced before you quit I would suspect the pace will come back rather quickly. If so, a little bike really won't do in most clubs middle or top groups.

2. :stupid:

If you were looking to jump straight into racing, then a 300 would be perfect because you are on track with other 300s.

No way in hell I would do track days on a 300. It isn’t even about being passed a lot or lap times, it is because of the speed differential.

A lot of tracks have blind spots, and you are putting a lot of faith in TD guys expecting all of them to handle cresting a hill or exiting a corner and coming up on you going 50mph slower.

Just imagine being at Barber with 30-40 other people on the track, and all of them have 3-5x the HP you do.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster IMO.

ToofPic, Laz, Sabre699 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You may have one there...;)

[​IMG]

Senna likes this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This is gonna be the first time in BBS history that someone is talked up to an SV, right?

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm going to pile on and say if trackdays are going to be a big component of this, then a 300 isn't the safest idea out there due to speed differential.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I know right.
    It's like a Bizzaro Beeb thread.

Next we'll be discussing metal head's clear and lucid posts and Broome won't post more than 20 words on multiple topics in one post.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Think about this, the beginner rider in the pit next to you shows up on the latest fire breathing R1GSXRKawiBMW 1000. He has 100 miles on it and bought it last week. It's his first track day and he can't wait to get out there and show his stuff. He's the guy who will catching you at the end of the straight at +80 mph.......I've seen it too many times to count. Truth be told, I've not seen many collisions (knock wood) but I have seen a few close ones. What usually happens is the 300 rider approaches the corner at the end of the straight where no passing is allowed and the faster guys pile up in a mass breaking frenzy....I like the idea of the 300's for true beginners, just not the idea of mixing them in with big bore bikes and low talent.

BigBird, Metalhead and Banditracer like this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Exactly!

9. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

12 yr old 600 is your best bet. Several classes to run with WERA (V8mw and V8hwt) that are not like the old 600 meat grinder classes. Also, no electronics on those bikes. 2006 R6 or GSXR600 will fit the rules, and maybe even newer depending how you interpret the rules.

Will be fun at trackdays and when ran at 80%, tires will last longer. You won’t find one bike that is fun at a trackday and also be easy on tires when you race.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's called an SV (or FZ07). V8 sounds great in theory, but is anyone showing up? If not, then welcome to the meatgrinder classes.
    Ninja 400 would be a good option too if you wanna be different, but won't be cheap as there aren't a bunch of prepped ones for sale.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I wasn't the fastest guy at any track but my tires lasted more than a few track days, even on a literbike.

12. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

YMMV but it sucked getting yarded down the straight at Summit from your buddies while riding a lwt. You have to do a lot of hustling in the corners to try and catch up and if your all around equal speed, it isnt going to happen. A 600 can stay reasonably close to a 1000, a lwt no way. It's more fun for me to not push it at trackdays than to have to ride the crap out of a lwt to keep up with others. If more guys with lwt would show up to trackdays, things would be different. I usually only saw 3-4 other lwt bikes there spread thru all groups.

I cant speak numbers in the V8 class, but some do show up. The Mid Ohio thread has a video from the class and it looks like fun to me. Not sure what other classes were mixed in though so you could be correct. But still, the meat grinder class was 40+ street guys with 1 Ed Bargy class of experience going for the win in the first corner. That doesn't really exist any longer.

I just think an older 600 is really good bang for the buck. You can get around pretty good and get your jollies at track days and then if you have to scratch that racing itch, there is a class that in theory should be very fun and not quite so nuts. All that in around a $2500-$3500 initial investment.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  13. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Thanks for in-site fellas. Maybe a prepped SV is the right play. When I rode in the B group it was annoying getting eaten up by liter bikes then doing the work in the tight stuff.I want to do a couple track days then start racing. I'm not interested in another 600. Been there done that. And only did a few mock races setup at the end of track days. Boy that was fun! The main goal is to race. I live next to a tack but unfortunately it is a death trap for bikes. Wild house raceway (firebird raceway). I plan on mainly riding at Chukwalla.

If the RC isn't reliable then the Kawa or the Yamica if not the SV. I have time. My budget is small since I have to sort out all my gear and buy a couple new helmets.

What year SV? Does it matter if it has GSX-R front end? I'm going to start looking next July unless I see the right bike on here close to me. PHX, AZ.

My main goal is find a bike with a well sorted suspension. Change it for my weight.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Boman Forklift and Jon Wilkens like this.
  14. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Be a man...........FZR600 with an 18" rear street tire and show them other turds whats up:D

cha0s#242 likes this.
  15. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

I'd go for anything 2005 and up. In 2007 the heads went dual plug, but most end up running that in a single plug firing. There are a few differences, but not a lot. The 2003 is the odd ball of the bunch having different subframe/seat units and some minor motor internals. But if you are on a budget, any 2nd gen bike that has been set up will be fine. For sure, you will at least want to get the suspension serviced and set up for your weight and skillset.

As far as the gsxr front end goes...hardly anyone races with that set up. A well sorted set of stock forks with good pads/lines/rotors are MORE than enough for a SV to run at the front. Heck, all the fast guys are running stock forks with new internals. Yes, they look trick and blingy...but IMO are pretty much willy wagging fodder. Keep it simple and you will have many laps with huge fun factor.

16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

All good points to consider, so this is just a lil food for thought:

If you find a well sorted SV with the front swap done I wouldn't let that stop you from buying, especially if the price/package is right. I won't (can't) argue stock v. GSXR swap. I put mine on because I had a T Man built front end complete sitting in the shop and it didn't cost $800-1000 for the internal swap.

Also, I wouldn't overlook the 1G 650 either as an entry into racing. There are some screaming deals out there the last few years. Regularly see sub $2000 for them with all the goodies and often a crap ton of spares.

NOTE: this last comment will likely spark a FI v Carb discussion and some "carbs suck" (yes - you Jake!). These are haters who don't appreciate a flatslide's beautiful music. :D

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  17. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I'm in the mode of Carbs suck! I've had my fill of them. I'm really liking the Triumph 675. I don't know much about them though. I've seen a few SV's fully setup but so far they are to far away. the shipping kills my budget. Wish I wouldn't have sold my 07 Gsx-R full suspension set up the works. But that was my no kids budget.

I'll keep looking. It is either going to be a Triumph or SV. So this started as slow bike fast to fast fast! I hate you all.

This will be a couple track days then CVMA. I hope to one day to a WERA event. I'm planning on 4 races a year till I can't physically do it anymore. I'll be a happy back marker. As long as I get to battle a few times before I quit I'll be a happy man.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  18. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

I have a year to look for my unicorn. Full suspension track ready bike 3 to 4500 k. I've decided to open my interest to anything but a liter bike. Not good enough for one of those. once I start racing a few times I can do the small bike if that is what I want. So anything with a good suspension and at least 2007. No traction control or ABS. As much analog as I can get.

19. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

20. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Racing is WAY better than track days. Next week end I'm taking a new build to a track day just because it's close to me and I'm riding a resurrected 38 year old motorcycle so if it messes up I'm back home in 2 hours. My shorts are in a knot just thinking about it. If the bike is ridable, I'll be at wera in the coming weeks.
    The bigger bike is a requirement at a track day but you could just buy a 300, take the morning class and ride wera. You have enough experience to go straight back to racing.