1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retiring after 24 years. Time to get to the track!

Discussion in 'General' started by Repeater, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

2011 GSXR600.

So much for been there done that. I basically bought the same bike I had but with better bits. I have been nervous about getting back up to speed, and decided the best thing to do is buy something familiar. Ride it for a while, and go from there.

If I fid a clapped out SV650 local I'll buy the Fing thing and finally figure out what they are like.

I hope to run with Wera at some event in 2019.

Thanks fellas.

cBJr likes this.
  2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Congrats, that's a great bike, 2011 had some big updates lighter, better suspension

3. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

6 years takes allot out of your riding skills. I am officially captain slow. I have to thank Trackdaz at Chuck for giving me time to come up to speed in the A group. I was still lapping pretty slow. I kept my line and didn't flinch when they tested me at close passing during my new racer school. It was a really humbling experience. I was never super fast but I was a solid mid pac A group. I was lapping mid pac B most of the day. I dropped my lap times dramatically in the new racer school race at the end of the day. 8 seconds. I have been having marital issues along with confidence issues. I'm a bit lost and have a life goal to complete. I'm racing in September. I'm retiring from the anchor in my life the military as the anchor in my life my marriage may be coming to an end. The race was bliss the trackway was hell. I hated most of the day until I could turn a wheel in anger and chase down some folks that had lapped me like I was standing still.

Sorry for the long post You fellas have always been helpful and supportive to people that you have never met. The bike I bought on here performed better than I am. The slicks and tire warmers saved me from many mistakes. I really should be on a less powerful bike, but I am happy with what I have.

I'd also like to thank my sponsors. My two kids that are my main focus and watch all my slow laps with me.

Gino230, Ducti89, lazlo and 6 others like this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

You showed up, you rode, you improved. Good on you man.

Repeat the process.

Thanks for your service.

Edit: it’s not my business and I don’t know the details, but you said “may” be ending. If it’s not done, keep trying.

Gino230, britx303 and SuddenBraking like this.
  5. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

You are perfectly describing a Honda RS125. God's perfect motorcycle.

AssClown likes this.
  6. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

CVMA #210

WTF I have my own goddam Number! Ordered my number plate! I'm a racer fellas lets see how I do in September with the old folks.

beac83, motion, Ducti89 and 1 other person like this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Maybe I missed it skimming, but what bike did you end up with? In all seriousness it’s looking like the ninja 400 is the bike to be on for learning and growing and maybe just keeping for the long haul now. It’s nuts the laptimes everybody is putting down with these at Summit and NJMP. Edit: never mind I see the 2011 gee-Essex-are post:D

8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Keep a realistic approach. Steady progress is much better than gaining a whole lot of speed but not understanding how you got there.

An obligatory race report is requested after your first weekend back.

9. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

First race under my belt and not last! Race strategy was as long as someone crashes I won't be last:).

I ran over a four foot snake in qualifying.
    During practice I was depressed due to my slow pace. As soon as qualifying came I dropped 5 seconds a lap. I had a blast pumped my fist at the checkered flag like i won. Met some amazing people and had a great time. I'll be shopping for a 400r or r3 next year. They fly around Chuck.

HPPT, motion, JBall and 6 others like this.
  10. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Where did you go?

11. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Chuckwalla.

12. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Yea chuck. Doing all the CW rounds I can.

The track was dusty on Sunday and they had us drive our cars around the track to clear dust. letting racers on a track To clear dust...... it was awesome! Drove my dads Chevy Silverado way past it’s design specs.

MachineR1 likes this.
  13. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

So I had my first big crash. I reduced my Lap time by another 3 seconds which dropped me into C group. They have A, B, C, D. Normally the 400s and slow ass peeps like me run in the D group. I was on a hot lap and ran into some ladies dicing it up in practice on some Kwak 400s I was flying. I decided to take a shitty line at to great a speed and lowsideded. I got knocked the F out. The bike flipped three times. I was stupid. I felt good and let my lack of talent exceed my ability. Patience is what I learned. I think I was told that in this thread. My ribs are really bruised. I am just able to pick up my son after a couple of weeks.

That said my wife has been supportive and took my groveling as long as I could take out the garbage.

I'll be racing again in Feb I have allot of work to do on the bike. For flipping 3 times it was all body work and a bent motor mount bolt through the frame slider as well as one hell of a dent in the tank. I'm not sure if I should put the frame sliders back on or if they are the reason the bike flipped? I have video of the crash, but I won't post its mainly my head bouncing off the pavement twice. Thanks to bell for making a great helmet. I have another Bell With Mips on the way.

I apologize to the ladies riding the 400's I felt awful for crashing in front of them. I never endangered them, but I could have caused a distraction and caused one of them to crash. They assured me that they were way smarter than me.

Banditracer likes this.
  14. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Pit with somebody along with your family. It helps with the anxiety to be able to talk shop with another racer.

Im glad youre okay! Get an air vest if you can afford one!

15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

It’s frequently the sliders that leads to bike damage. They do great on a hard surface. But as soon as they hit the grass, they tend to dig in and grab, and that’s when the fun starts.

Tj Hunter and Ducti89 like this.
  16. aboogie973

aboogie973 Well-Known Member

I too agree as SV 650 or R3 would be great for you.

17. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

To isolate the cause of a bike flipping down to frame sliders is oversimplifying. I'm not saying that they don't cause flipping because they can but the last crash I had where the bike did wind up in the grass and came out looking really good. No flipping involved. There is an item that every bike has two of: footpegs. So unless you're planning to have only crashes where the footpeg doesn't catch but the frame slider does, I'd say frame sliders aren't the cause of all the world's problems.

badmoon692008, Banditracer and pscook like this.
  18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Who said they were the cause of all the world’s problems? He asked if he should put them back on or if they caused the flip. They do sometimes cause the flips. Where did I say they are always to blame or even that they were the cause of his flipping? Talk about oversimplifying. Jesus.

19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the evidence that clearly shows it's "frequently" frame sliders and not other parts of the bike that "tends to dig in and grab". You're isolating one possible cause. That would be oversimplifying.

20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Holy shit dude. Get a hobby. Trolling isn’t your strong suit. Enjoy.