1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resurfacing Granite?

Discussion in 'General' started by mx3TT, May 9, 2012.

1. mx3TT

mx3TT Well-Known Member

We are trying to spruce up my girlfriends parent's house a bit before they sell it. They have granite counter tops in their kitchen but they are looking a little worn. By that I mean the surface is starting to dull a bit and there are random spots that you can see, when you look at it just the right way, that wont go away. I did a quick search on google, but didn't come up with anything worth while. What is the best way to go about making them look new? Any help would be great guys, thanks!

2. WERA

WERA Administrator

Just a guess but polishing compound and wax?

3. mx3TT

mx3TT Well-Known Member

I am guessing something along the lines of that. But wasn't sure if there were steps before it like any sort of sanding or scuffing of the stone first.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Isn't there some kind of oil that you're supposed to put on granite?

5. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Dave, quick! Round up the other magic elves and do this one probono!

6. WERA

WERA Administrator

Checked the google, looks like an acrylic sealer is what you need, should be at most hardware stores. Huh, thought they were polished and not sealed with something.

7. mx3TT

mx3TT Well-Known Member

Hmm thats where I got lost. So looks like the sealer is what is worn down. I guess you learn something new every day!

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I do floors, not granite but I believe the stone itself has to be polished to a pretty high gloss and the sealer just helps seal the pores in the granite. It would absorb stains and such if it wasnt sealed since granite is usually more porous than you would think.

Im sure a granite place could point you in the right direction.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The surface is polished but still porous. Just like grout in a shower it has to be protected with a sealer. If it was never sealed than it's likely already stained than it's time for a professional who has the right experience to remove or at best lighten the stains.

Any where that sells or installs granite should be able to point you to a product that will fit the bill.

If the surface is beat up and dull you can have it polished on site but be prepared it's a messy process. If you don't have an under mount sink they may pull the top and take it outside to polish and then reinstall. It's not all that different to the process to cut and polish paint on vehicle.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

man you've taken a lot of home depot DIY courses lately. :Poke:

12. Venom51

Dad was a builder...

I've been going to work with him since I was 8. I'm 40 and have been building things most my life.

Just because I'm a geek now doesn't mean I've forgotten everything I've learned.

13. mx3TT

mx3TT Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

14. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i think thats for soapstone

15. Venom51

Yep...