1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Windows

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Sep 29, 2021.

1. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Windows can be the bones of an old house…
    If you tear out old divided light painted wood windows (that have scale and texture) and install white pvc (vinyl) one lite sash window( no panes) windows you may depreciate some value of an older home. It’s based on what you are looking to achieve.. they will all save some money initially. Overtime a better, more expensive window will hold its shape, insulation value and not have the “foggy” window look when the insulated glass seals fail. This is a common issue with vinyl windows over time.
    You will see new construction with vinyl because it’s cheap and maintenance free … I don’t mean to bash vinyl too much ..
    Especially if you’re trying to keep the historic value of the house be very careful

Consider simulated divided lights even the grills between the glass will give the appearance of the old ““ panes.
    It’s a consideration of how long you are going to be in the house and what you’re looking to get out of it.

if you’re a super detailed person there are differences between vinyl windows and Clad windows or other types of windows in the detail on how the storm windows fit / sills etc. and that may bother a purist. Even the glass thickness on some vinyl windows is thinner and at an angle you can see how much wave there is in the glass especially if the frames twist you can see that in the glass on the angle. Please never install “sash packs” meaning no frames around the replacement windows..Just the jamb liners that will be a subpar installation.

If it’s purely a cost thing you can get super Duper cheap vinyl windows installed but you pretty much get what you pay for.

My2¢

BigBird, rd400racer and TurboBlew like this.
  2. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Is that price for Windows only or does it also include install? What size are these windows? 32x54ish or some kind of weird size ?

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah we have "historic" district areas where everything goes through a secondary review process to keep the neighborhood looking that way. A 3'x5' window with sunburst transom at home depot... $320 same window made to comply with RAP standards $1800. Then comes the labor part... because those old weighted windows have alot of odd ball framing or none at all. The best part is when some mature oak has basically demo'd all the flat work, foundation, or plumbing... now you cant just remove & replant. You need approval for tree trimming and all the structural needs. The review board is not some resource where you can find manufacturers or source tradesmen to do these restorations... let alone trying to comply with modern building codes. Its the opposite. There are a few design professionals writing alternate installation instructions of known & approved materials. Like metal roofs with no sheathing requirement... just purlins over rough framing.
    And yes there are a few members of this board that have nothing better to do then monitor various projects or new owners... worse than any HOA. :D Every one of them are not in the construction trade... except for when it involves paper & elmers glue.
    Ive been in a bunch of those "purist" houses... they stink of cat litter.

Motofun352 likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It's a variety and yes, some are odd sizes. The current windows are beyond repair and this house isn't in a historical district but it is in the hottest neighborhood in Louisville so anything I spend on this house is an improvement.

Give you an idea: I bought this house in 1985 for $58K. Two years ago a flipper bought the house next door, which is identical, for $225K. He proceeded to put $100K into it. I had a discussion with him while he was doing it (not sweat equity, he hired all the work out) and I told him he was nuts...he'd never come close to making any money on the deal. Son of a bitch sold it for $435K. And he used ordinary replacement windows. Did I mention that I can be out of touch with prices nowadays.

The house. Both on either side have been heavily renovated but this picture doesn't show the one on the left since renovation.

[​IMG]

Here's the Zillow to the house next door. Incredible what these places are going for.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/133-Pennsylvania-Ave-Louisville-KY-40206/73663201_zpid/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  5. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

You sure he only put $100k in that renovation.
    Place looks pretty nice.

BigBird likes this.
  6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That quote you got is about what I paid last year (20 windows, a hair over $20K installed).

Basic ass vinyl windows replacing the original wood windows (house was built in 1988).

If you really want to shit yourself, get a quote on replacing sliding doors :eek:

BigBird, TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  7. rd400racer

That's what he said. I agree, he did a damn nice job renovating.

And thanks SD, that's real world pricing that I'm looking for.

8. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I had 10 low-e coated, double hung dual pane vinyl windows installed about a year ago (just as supply chains began to tighten up) from a manufacturer in PA called Valiant. The windows were about 32x60 and were ~$600 each installed. They did a decent enough job and the low e stuff is the cat's ass. All of the rooms facing west were way cooler last summer.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Lowe's replaced ten windows with Pella windows in a rental house for us here in Nashville for $5000 about a year ago.

rd400racer likes this.
  10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I see some of you guys quoting $600 for fairly high-end windows and I'm scratching my head. I've been gradually replacing all the windows in a 1960s brick ranch, where a 36 x 40, wood with aluminum cladding, awning bottom half and fixed top, low e, argon gas filled, was $1,100 2 years ago. I just put the same window in the bedroom last week and it was $1,500. That's just the window, with me installing it. A 28x 32 awning with the same spec 2 years ago was $600, and just put the same window in another bathroom and it was $900. By the time I get all of them done it's going to be around $35,000 just for the windows. Old windows were mostly double hung, and had some rot so really needed to go.

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I just did 6 vinyl mid grade impact windows and it was about $750 per opening installed. Not standard sized...had to be ordered.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just curious...how do installation costs compare for brick veneer vs siding? complexity of interior trim and wall finishes?

13. rd400racer

Not sure, but he showed me their assembly process for replacing the windows and it was pretty high tech. If you look at the link I attached in post #23, you'll see the windows in the next door house...these are the same type window I was quoted.

14. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I replaced my own windows with pella double hung, cost about $500 per window doing it myself.

15. A out $650 a window for roughly 30x72 windows.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm thinking that may be what we need to do. The cheap ass HD specials are 25 now and rotting out. Replaced some over the years but not sure we can afford to do the rest right now.

17. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Run. Fast. Any company that makes that kind of ridiculous claim is not someone you want to do business with.

I have had replacement windows from Andersen, Pella, And Relief Windows (a LA/TX company) installed in various houses. None of the installations are as good as a new construction (finned) window properly flashed to the exterior sheathing.

TurboBlew and rd400racer like this.
  18. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

We have about 35 windows and two sliding patio doors. We got a quote from Renewal by Andersen. They quoted us a price of $130,xxx for all of it. We must’ve audibly said “WTF?!” because then he went through the song and dance of a special one time only reduction in price for new customers. The new price was $90,xxx.
    Eh….. no thanks.

TurboBlew and Rdrace42 like this.
  19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Truth. The construction of my house precludes using a flanged window, so there's really no way to create a proper seal around the window. Brick mold, caulk, and foam insulation is about all you can do. In a few places, I've got enough room to flash above the window, but most there's no room without cutting into brick.

20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Not surprised, as the $35k I mentioned is for 12 windows. Granted one of them is 12' x 6' mulled 3 units wide, but most are 'regular' sizes.