1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation For SV Motor Build???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by PlayHard, Aug 3, 2009.

1. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

The duck-billed platypus egg...

lol

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

3. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

You really can't compare a Superflow to a Dynojet, even if the data is spit out in SAE corrected form. It has to do with the way the dynos collect data, they do it differently. (understated greatly for simplicity) You really shouldn't even compare data from 2 dynos of the same make/manufacture either. Example, compare the numbers Ed and I posted for various spec of SV's. It appears our Dynojet 250's read about 2hp different. Sunshine, if you are saying a stock engine/exhaust/PC3 bike made 78hp and then 85hp in Superstock spec, on the Superflow dyno, well, that's about right. The gain is about right, which is what we're really after, not what the peak numbers are. All the other numbers being floated around in this thread are Dynojet numbers from what I understand. If you want to compare your results to mine, take off about 4hp, if you want to compare to Ed's, take off about 6hp.

At the GNF I about guarantee you there isn't 2hp difference between the best and worst superstock prepped engines. The rules, and laws of physics dictate this.

IMO.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

JD, there are those mor interested in racing dynos than actual bikes...

5. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Well isn't that was us engine builder/FORMER racers are supposed to do, Bob? We gotta race something... :crackup:

But seriously, I always hope that what I post on my website and on various forums is 1) viewed as an attempt at science, and 2) not the last word on the subject by any means. Unfortunately it always seems the context of the information goes somewhat astray, but you'll have that I guess.

Speaking of astray, it seems I'm leading the thread that way...

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Nah. ;)

I just get tickled when folks want to start comparing "dyno number" as if they, by themselves, indicated some superiority. Without "identical conditions" and "identical dynos", the numbers are pretty much meaningless.

Now a chart, showing where the power is made, and how the torque curve plots can be informative.

I never much looked at the actual numbers when we were building the Sprint Hawk or the Endurnace Hawk. Just looked to see if the latest change went forward or (more often at first) backward.

Dynos are great measuring tools. Butt that's about all. And, like any other tool, they can be misused.

Have a great Friday, JD!

7. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Hord and Panther have both hit it on the head! I personally live on my dyno but i never put all my eggs (to keep the theme going) in one basket. I use the dyno for just as Panther said, a TOOL. i have built MANY a bikes that dont make the big peak numbers that one guy up in seattle does, yet my bikes were faster down the straight. You cant just say "its 150hp" i'd rather see WHAT KIND of 150hp you have! You can get all 4 1000's to make over 185rwhp in SS trim....but the curves look very different.

The dyno is a great TOOL to use to get a good proper a/f ratio/mapping and for me in off season, test different heads, cam timing, engine mods i have made/trying for new. Then during season we use it as a tool to keep eye on the engines performance...if suddenly we loose 10% hp...we better dig into her deeper...etc.

Its friday guys, have a beer and smile. Im getting back on the dyno to see if i can get this bike up to 15rwhp....yes 15....gotta love the CB160 vintage guys.....now THERE is a variable in dyno curves! I love when a vintage guys tells me "oh yeah, its all legal" and it make 19hp....4hp doesn't sound like much...until you do the percentages :cool:

8. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

9. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

shhhhh--quiet.......that is like ancient Chinese secret grasshopper.....thank god for us most people are wrapped around peak HP