1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rap sucks

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Rap sucks huge donkey nuts. Sorry but this will be a long rant.

For the first time in quite a while I turned on the radio to the local rap station. I was not just disappointed but I'm a little saddened at how crappy its gotten. First thing I hear is this Lil Wayne rapping about a cop car. He even makes lil siren noises. Forget the fact that he doesn't rhyme or that the lyrics consist of maybe 8 lines of actual words. The rest is just grunts and giggles!

I fully stand behind rap as a musical genre. We grew up with Sugar Hill, Cool and the Gang and so on. I still listen to my old Public Enemy and still own my lovable yet laughable NWA albums. I respect anybody who can freestyle and not just spout gibberish. There is much to be said for a crafty mix and turntable talent. But the stuff out there now is something else. I dunno wtf it is! Every single song I heard was so massively processed and overdubbed I can't imagine what a live show would be like.

Wait, actually I can imagine it. We did gigs for everybody from Snoop to DMX to 50 Cent so I've seen the best and the worst. I've seen Zach de la Rocha from Rage and Method Man from the Wu battle live onstage and it was incredible. What on earth this Lil Wayne would do in a battle besides grunt and shuffle I have no idea. Where do these guys come from and who decided they should be making records?

It bothered me so bad I called up my old rigging partner from our rock n roll days. We did a bunch of rap tours together so I value his opinion. He stated it thusly, "Phillip, shit in a bucket and put a For Sale sign on it. Its not your fault if someone buys it."

And then today I saw this. Now they're effing with my Country Music!
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/6141295.html

2. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree rap today is horrendous. 80's to the mid 90's were great after that not so much.

3. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Agree! It's NOTHING like it used to be. In today's "rap" world I feel as if I could be a millionaire, seriously! They sing/do the DUMBEST stuff and make more money than i'll ever see.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

What, are they going from hip-hop to hick-hop?

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I dont know maybe Im nuts but Im not sure I ever liked rap for it's lyrics as much as a good beat.

Ive liked legendary songs like 'White Lines', 'Summertime' (W.Smith not the other one) to the more current raps by .50 or even T.I....'Whatever you like'.

For me, when it comes to rap a good beat is what makes the song. If I want some decent lyrics Ill pop in some rock or country. :D

6. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

I will say that I do prefer a good beat/rhythm/flow of a song but crappy lyrics will kill any song for me.

7. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

Weezy entertains me.

8. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

unfortunately, rap has morphed into just one more type of pop music. ding dong, rap is dead.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Seriously I think C. Corder hit it on the head. The parallels to Disney's pop star factory are striking. Create the image, mold the star, place them on a pedestal and feed it to the consumer. Pop indeed.

10. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

The God Fathers:

Grandmaster Flash

Rakim

JayZ

11. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

Love Rap & Hip Hop to death:beer: A few bad apples doen't spoil my perception of it:up:

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

You know Run DMC has to go on the list even if its a little embarrassing now. "MY UH DEE DUHS!!!!!!!

13. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

rap does suck, almost on a whole. sometimes i will here something with a good beat and feel it. but MOST times, it SUCKS donkey balls. i find it funny that they simply make up words if nothing else fits. i seriously cant stand it for more than a couple minutes. there is no substance to it.

14. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

It happened to Disco, it happened to Punk, it happened to New Wave, it happened to Hair Bands, it happened to Grunge.
    Rap died in the mid 90's, it just doesn't know it yet, neither do the kiddies who continue to buy the garbage that empty-V force feeds down their naive little throats.

Music is a cyclical bitch.

15. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

Top of the list bish!:up:

16. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Retards Attemping Poetry

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

From hip-hop to hype-hop...

18. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I agree the new stuff gets boring after a while since its always the same thing. "money cash hoes" or as lil wayne says in one of his songs "money bitches and cable, young money is the label" hahahah.

I grew up to rap/ hip hop and even when I ask myself what the hell am I listening to I can't seem to get away from it.

Thank god I can hear and like other types of music like salsa and house.

19. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Not on that list bro.

I could put them in with LL Cool J, KRS 1 and Ice-T but not with the Godfathers.

20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Does it ever distress anyone, besides me, that when you turn on your radio to a music station just about everything that you hear is occurring because of the desires of 11 to 13 year old kids? WTF! Those little farts don't have any music taste. Most of them think Yo Yo Ma is some kind of toy. :mad: