1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing Drones

Discussion in 'General' started by Monsterdood, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

So anyone here have a racing drone with First Person View (FPV)? I am thinking about buying a fleet of 4-5 of them for employee recognition and to kick start a spec racing league at work. Not sure where to race them yet, maybe a football field to start with. It seems like most serious racers custom build their own, but I'm thinking a spec series is a good way to go. I asked for one (well ordered it for myself really) to check one out. It's the Rise Vusion with FPV. Not the lightest / fastest / best, but for $314 at Tower Hobbies (after their $36 coupon), I figured I'd give it a go.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  2. six6two

six6two AWD

Are you hiring?

badmoon692008, j cal, rk97 and 3 others like this.
  3. joec

joec brace yourself

Tower hobbies is still around, holy shit..I used to buy stuff front them in the late 80s!

rk97 likes this.
  4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

If you don't already fly one you better buy lots of parts. :) Oh you you have to register it with the FAA if it weighs more than two sticks of butter. :)

madkaw likes this.
  5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Are they experienced pilots? If not get something smaller and easier to learn on like the inductrix rtf kit. Youll also need goggles...

They're tiny, fast, and durable.

I just upgraded to a falcon 210 and holy crap its fast. First impression of the one linked is that it is amazingly over priced. Does it even come with a transmitter?

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Fal...era-5_8G-40CH-VTX-p-1061684.html?rmmds=search

Another thing to remember is goggles are pretty personal thing. Kind of like helmets. My brother has 3 sefs and none work for me, but mine (eachine vr d2) are perfect for me and he cant use them. My wife cant focus when wearing the fatsharks, but loves the cheap eachine vr009.

6. Monsterdood

And get a HAM radio license if it uses more than 25mW to transmit the real time video. There's a 25mW version that goes ~300m and the 200mW that I ordered which goes ~800m or so.
    And yeah, I haven't ordered anything from Tower hobbies in 20+ years since back when I was racing a Kyosho Ultima 1/10 electric car.

7. thrak410

8. Monsterdood

They're rotorcraft engineers many of which are pilots and many are flight controls and autonomy engineers. If they can't fly them, we'll all shame them for sure! :) The one I linked has a screen, FPV goggles the screen fits into, spare blades, a spare battery and seems to be ready to fly with FPV capability. I saw some cheaper ones, but none with the specs and the FPV screen included. Any better 25o class ones to check out (that I don't have to piece together?)

9. thrak410

Oh the screen and goggles are seperate pieces? Interesting...

Doesnt look like it comes with a transmitter though (to control it) does it?

Take a look at this one, has everything but the goggles and easy to repair. http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Fal..._8G-HD-Camera-RTF-p-1026335.html?rmmds=search

The transmitter is compatible with lots of different things and can hold 'programming' for 20 different models. So you can go from the quad to a rc truck to a helicopter and use the same one.

Youll also want to get CleanFlight for Google Chrome so you can program and adjust things.

And if youre getting a bunch youll defintely need double the batteries and a good charger that can monitor the cells. LiPO seems to be stupid sensitive to under and over charging.

I spent about 3 hours flying this little thing all around yesterday, its just so small and fun. I was bouncing off walls, flying under the dining room table, terrorizing the dog, flying outside around the house, all while sitting in the lazy boy haha!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...bind-n-fly-15087--1/inductrix-fpv-bnf-blh8580

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  10. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'd suggest getting a bunch of blade nano's and learning to fly them. They're probably the best beginner quad. You could race them around a large room. There are also hop up kits for the inductrix listed above as well

madkaw likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah man, ship the shit COD and I'll have a giant pile of one and five dollar bills waiting. :) I remember getting my first good plane from them. A Gentle Lady. I spent months building it (it looked like shit) and the first flight *BLAMO* smashed. It didn't really look any worse really after the crash.

XFBO and joec like this.
  12. I ran one over this past Friday. Don't race them where people have cars on a kart track or at least at the same time.

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

there's a park nearby where the RC Heli guys used to fly on one weekend a month. I was over there with my daughter this weekend riding bicycles and in the back of the park there were a couple of folks running FPV units. They had a couple of obstacles set up, and looked like they were having fun.

Brook Run park on the north side of ATL if anyone is interested.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

Omg....you're exactly right! Too funny.

Goldberg eagle. Airtronics 4ch. Os40

I beat the crap out of that thing. Never made a difference. Always flew the same.

15. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

If you've never flown one before start small...like really small

[​IMG]

The crf50 of drones

16. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

On a serious note I got into the racing drones for a bit but found out quickly that it can get expensive fast...maybe even faster than motorcycle racing. You can tune them to fly anywhere from very gentle flight to stupid fast and agile. My quadcopters were stolen when my house was broken into last year. My homeowners insurance covered some of the losses but not enough to make me want to reinvest, especially since the FAA stepped with their regulations and stuff. I still have a couple cheap ones that I play with once in a while.

My home built QAV250...This thing was just stupid fast...too fast to control.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Blade NanoQX. This is the one I learned to fly FPV with. If you've never flown FPV I strongly suggest starting with one of these cheap and nearly indestructible little guys.
    [​IMG]

Horizon Hobby offers a reasonably priced FPV system for those starting out. This one is the Fatshark Teleporter.

[​IMG]

Rare footage of the QAV250 actually flying and NOT crashing...

[​IMG]

Once you get the hang of flying FPV get the bigger brother to the Nano. This one is the 180QX. Still cheap by hobbyist standards and spare parts were cheap too. This one was by far the most fun one I flew. I took it out the school campus and just flew FPV with it all day long.

[​IMG]

Those guys that race them throught the woods and parking garages must have lightning quick reflexes because they are harder to control than they look.

If you are just getting into drone racing it's like anything else...you will have a much better time if you start with something small and cheap.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Good Lord, there's gotta be a lot more people seeing UFOs these days. :crackup:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I watched some DRL racing... needs that smoke trail feature the tv guys use in hockey coverage! :D

20. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

What R/C vehicles did you purchase from Tower Hobbies?