1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing a 400 single

Discussion in 'General' started by Super_Dave_344, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Super_Dave_344

Super_Dave_344 Well-Known Member

I havent raced in 2 years and im wanting to get back in but moneys tight rightnow.I have a question about racing a Yamaha YZ400F(dirt bike....YES IM SERIOUS!!) in the 4 stroke sigles classes.I know i have to change tires and stuff like that but what all classes would this be legal and competetive in? Im asking cause i saw a guy racing on at mid-ohio this year during the vintage days.Im not sure what class he was in but he did finish 3rd and came from way back witch i thought was impressive.If this is possible it would be a cheap way to start racing again(since i already have the bike) and i cant really afford another 600 like i raced before.Any and all suggestions and info on this would really be helpfull. Thanks

2. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

There was a fella that raced a KX500 with 17" rims and turned down bars at Talladega not too long ago. He was pretty awesome but under hard braking that frame would flex like a rubber band!!! It was really scary..but I did see him at the track a few months later and the problem was not near as bad. Don't know if he braced the frame or what but it was pretty cool to see the blackies he was leving and watch him reel in the bigger bikes on that small track. I think you would be legal for D superbike and clubman for sure. Remember you will be going up against built FZR400's and the SV650 which is a great bike in its own right. Good luck and keep us posted. I would like to run that same bike in the Super TT series on the west coast. White Brothers I believe has 17" spoke and rim kits for the bike. Good Luck.

Ryan

3. AL GOODWIN

AL GOODWIN Well-Known Member

I raced a KLX 650 Kawasaki 4-stroker in '99. It was a blast!!! Big fun standing up on the rear brake pedal and just lettin-r-slide!!!! You'd be legal in the Formula Clubman, Lightweight Twins, and Formula-2 classes. You can't run the D-Superbike class because it is legal for bikes produced for street ridding only, the rule reads something like that. The guy on the KX at Talledega had bought the wheels, brakes and forks off my bike, his name is Anthony Harris, owner of Dixie Sports Plus(Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Artic Cat). My KLX was periminter(?) framed, the Kx was a single backbone frame. Needless to say the KLX handled like a dream, the KX on the other hand is a real handful. I took a few laps at a practice day and told Anthony "NEVER AGAIN", He's more of a man than me to ride that thing. It flexes and bucks like no bike I've ever ridden, including the stock framed and susspended RZ 350 that I raced and crashed in '93. The KX does one thing well, it goes like stink in a straight line. It has been retired to "rain" races only, nobody could even stay close in the rain.
    Good luck on the mods, if you need info on wheels and brakes just e-mail me and maybe I, or the guys at Dixie, could help.

4. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

a couple years ago some guy put a Rotax in his ice-racing frame...looked a bit wierd but he kicked everybodys' ass

5. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying the classes Al...I was a little fuzzy and just wanted to post as it would be ultracool to see that YZ out kickin ass!!

6. AL GOODWIN

This past summer a guy did show up at Road Atlanta with a YZ400. Don't remember his name or number....I guess we could check the results page.. [​IMG]

7. AL GOODWIN

Matt Richardson....Jacksonville, Fla. Yamaha 400 at Road Atlanta in July

8. wera122

wera122 Guest

Yeah, never judge a book by its cover. I think it's so cool when people show up with thh ugliest hybrids you've ever seen and proceed to open up that big can o'whoop ass! [​IMG]

9. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Damn, all my replies were lost. Should I recap for everyone?

10. wera122

wera122 Guest

They weren't lost, Sean just did a great job of sparing us all from your recaps. [​IMG]

11. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Bitch, gripe, moan, and complain, that about covers it. [​IMG]

12. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

But all were valid points. [​IMG]