1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

racetech worth the money?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sickgixxer33, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

not pissed at all...I just want people to be clear that I never said you used them in your cartridges and that I am starting some crazy rumor. These were 99-02 r6 forks set up by traxxion with RT valving.

2. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to comment but I have had the same experience as you have with Traxxion. Less than 10 years and have had them work on my Race-Tech stuff as well even though they didn't install it. I have no issues with Traxxion, I'm sure they have excellent products. Haven't used them in a while though.

My problem is always with set up. I'm no guru and can go only as fast as my set up will allow, which is kinda fast. :D One day though...I'm gonna work with someone and get it "spot-on" then.... I'll prolly rekk it all up. ;)

I have been informed VIA the secret handshake which tuner/shop to use. :beer:

3. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Isn't that what is holding everyone back tires and setup..................................:)

4. gixxerlvr

gixxerlvr Shoot, Move, Communicate

Personal preference. I used the kit, and it feels good to me. Not all of us have the loot to drop on the expensive stuff, just so we can say we have the stuff the pros have. If your extremely fast, and need the edge, then by all means hook it up.

5. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

I have not used Race Tech's "25 mm" cartridge kit but I do think the Ohlins kit is a better kit overall.

For one thing, the Race Tech kit is not a true 25 mm kit. I was looking to try some of their newer High Frequency rebound valves in a friends Hayabusa and was told they do not make them. I asked what they were using in their 25 mm cartridge kits and was told they are the high frequency valves but the cartridge kits use either a 23 or 24 mm valve. Traxxion, GP Suspension, K-Tech, Ohlins, etc all make a standard 25 mm valve. If you had one of those kits and you wanted to try something different then you could throw any of those in. With the Race Tech kit it seems like you do not have that option.

Also, I believe the Race Tech uses the standard fork caps while the Ohlins kit comes with their own caps. It is MUCH easier & quicker to do a spring swap with the Ohlins caps than with a stock cap.

All of the individual Ohlins parts are top quality. I am not saying the Race Tech stuff is shit, but I do not feel it is on the same level as the Ohlins stuff. I can get a parts diagram from Ohlins and buy every single part used in one of their cartridge kits (and pay out the ass for it too). I do not know if Race Tech does the same.

Race Tech has been around for a long time. They were the only ones doing this stuff. They let their customer service go to shit and let the product get very stale IMO. Now the market has expanded and Race Tech had to step up their game.

I have not used any of their new High Frequency rebound valves as of yet do to the fact that all the work I have been doing lately has been on 25 mm stuff but I do hear they work very well. I have seen pics of them and from that I do know they have the right design.

The honest truth is that it all comes down to what the rider wants/needs and the ability of the guy doing the suspension work to make it work.

6. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

The race tech 25 mil carts you can swap from bike to bike. ohlins 25 mil carts you can't

7. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

Big deal.

8. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Skill level, laziness, and lack of funds may have an impact as well. :beer: