1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Team Data Analyst

Discussion in 'General' started by crfYZFcbr, Jul 1, 2020.

1. crfYZFcbr

crfYZFcbr Active Member

Ive always been fascinated at the amount of data these race teams are logging and reviewing to customize the bike for the track, location, weather, rider, and tires. Depending on the team, I can imagine there's 10 guys looking at different data at any given time. Not saying that's how all teams are run, but when your looking at telemetry from suspension, 6-axis accelerometer/gyros, engine data, and even just lines from GPS data; it must take some amount of logistics and very detailed teamwork.

So this crazy thought always crossed my mind, how badass of a job this would this be?? One of those ideas that keeping popping in my head, and I figured I might get some feedback from the experienced in this forum.

1) What type of experience, training, education, or skillsets are suggested/required?

2) Best way to "get your application in"?

3) Assuming your with a team for several years, what should one expect to earn yearly?

4) Who knows a guy, that knows a guy?

2. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Senna likes this.
  3. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I would think computer (and possibly) mechanical engineering... and know riding/racing so you know what the rider is telling you when reviewing all the data!

4. It’s not easy. There are a lot of aspects to it and they range from understanding riders styles to programming and everything in between. I taught myself how to program Motec, I made a small bench setup with sensors, gyro, etc and just played and played. Have since successfully(very successfully) came up with a system using oem gyro’s off a motorcycle(2 actually) for wheelie and traction control on a championship winning 4000+ hp drag car. I didn’t know squat about drag racing but knew how to get the ecu to do what it needed to. We worked like crazy with strategies on how to cut power out and bring it back on etc. also on a car like that you have serious twist and the chassis loads and unloads which is why I put an additional gyro as when tacks and conditions change launches change a lot. Some places have a ton of traction right at the light and fall off by 60’ and others are opposite. So you need a good engineering understanding of static and dynamic of what you are actually analyzing and also need good team to communicate with. Dats person is just one cog in the system and it’s not an easy task.

5. crfYZFcbr

crfYZFcbr Active Member

Dieterly:
    Awesome podcast which gives alot of great insight! Thanks for this resource.

Evakat:
    I actually have a mechanical engineering degree, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is handy for this! I wonder how many actually work as a "data analyst" without being an engineer though, if any.

Canadian Bacon:
    The fact that there are so many aspects and every "tuner" will have their own way of approaching a problem, that's the part that intrigues me. Sounds like you're playing with some big toys and customizing your own system of sensors, sounds like a blast!

evakat likes this.