1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race/Pump Gas making same power?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Redlining52, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Redlining52

Redlining52 Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen a bike make the same power on Race and Pump Gas?

I have a 2011 GSXR 750 that I just had a Super Sport build done on and had it tuned for 93 pump gas then had it tuned for MR12 and running the MR12 did not give me anymore power over the 93 octane pump gas.

I just don't understand how this is possible. What could cause such a thing. I was really happy with the number it put out on the 93 and was expecting to get a little more power out of the MR12.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Crappy tune for the MR12, or really really knife-edge tune for the 93 pump... or both.

3. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

that is odd as ive done lots of back to back with pump and mr12 on dynos including three 2011 up gsxr 750s and the mr12 is instantly noticeable hp gain even before tuning. And I have gone back to pump immediately after to verify

4. Redlining52

The pump gas tune and race gas tune were done on separate days, which I know can cause a difference but I would think that I would have at-least seen something from the MR12 even if it was on a different day.

5. Redlining52

When I had the stock motor I noticed around 4hp difference between pump and MR12.

After the motor work nothing.

6. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

that doesnt make much sense . If you have the ability to do a test back to back do runs with pump switch to mr12 then switch back to pump to verify. Make sure you siphon out all the fuel with a siphon bulb when you switch. It normally takes several runs to get to peak hp.

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

could be something as simple as you had 30psi in the rear tire when you did the pump gas run, and now you have 19psi in the tire for the mr12 run.

Did you try retarding the timing for the mr12 ?? I'm not sure about a 750, but an r6 makes a bit more hp with mr12, simply by retarding timing at and around the HP curve.

8. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

How old is the MR12? If it's the same can that you were using last year, it may have gone flacid.

9. Redlining52

It was a brand new can steal sealed

10. MELK-MAN

there is a "born on date" on the front of the can.. what is it?

11. Redlining52

Ill have to call my tumer and ask. He did the pump gas map last week and did the mr12 map today after i got him some gas this past weekend. I havent even seen the sheets yet, i just talked to him about it on the phone

12. Redlining52

This I will have to check on Friday when I head to get the bike.

13. MELK-MAN

you may very well find you feel the difference.. i wouldn't put a lot of weight in a run from a while ago. Ideally, you would have done a baseline run right with the pump gas, right before starting with the MR12 map.

OR.. (don't wanna jinx ya) there could be some other motor issue. may be time for a leakdown and comp test ?

also, i can't stress enough that having fuel injectors serviced BEFORE building a map is a good idea.

14. Redlining52

The pump gas run and MR12 run were only done a week apart.

The motor was just built so I would hope there are no issues.

Ill have to see if he can put it back on the dyno and do some pump gas and race gas pulls on the same day.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Something is wrong. Expect at least a 3-4% difference with MR12.

16. Redlining52

Would running something a little higher octane like MRX02 possible yield different results?

17. MELK-MAN

yea, less power. IF the map for mr12 was correct to begin with.

18. Redlining52

Yea thats what I was going to guess. I just don't understand. The only thing I can think is that the tunes were done on different days. Even though temps and humidity were about the same, I figured I should at least see something.

19. MELK-MAN

as Rick mentioned, it doesn't add up. do some additional testing and checking of the bike.

20. Redlining52

That's what I saw when I ran the MR12 with the motor stock.

I was at like 128.x on the 93pump tune and like 132.x on the MR12 tune.

I was expecting similar results after the motor work. My compression is up around 13.4-13.5 now.

I'm going to do some back to back runs this weekend and see what the results are. Thanks for all the feedback