1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race chain preferences.....

Discussion in 'Tech' started by NemesisR6, Jan 15, 2020.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

What's everybody running nowadays?

I've been using the DID EVR3 for what seems like forever, and have even tried the RK GB520GXW with success.

See a lot of folks opting for the new(?) EK ThreeD racing chains, but wondering if the price premium ($50-100) is worth it for a typical 120-link 520 racing chain.

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Don't see a $50- $100 benefit to the EK 3D chain over the RK GB520GXW chains that i use.

The RK is hard to beat for strength, quality and price.

3. genosr1

genosr1 Well-Known Member

rk all the way, been using them for years and under 100 bucks

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

ERV3 here though I’ve thought about trying some other ones but it seems like weight, strength, and price are pretty good for the ERV3.

5. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

RK GB520GXW - 8800 lbs tensile strength, 4.25 lbs, 120 link

DID ERV3 520 - 8650 lbs tensile strength, 4 lbs, 120 link

RK slightly stronger than ERV3 but slightly heavier. I'd called it a wash and go with the $60 cheaper RK, IMO.

svracer22 and NemesisR6 like this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

my 2c.. stick with the did erv3 . best ever i've ran in 15 years of racin. Dave Weaver (m4 crew chief) turned me on to em when tuning my bikes at his shop, full spectrum. Nothing like em. EK chains went to mfg in Malaysia.. instead of continuing in Japan, and that's one reason Pit Bull stopped carrying them. Got a few from vortex with contingency few years back. Junk in my opinion. Ran some RK's from Pitbull before they stopped doing contingency, but was not impressed. Better than EK, but not a lot better. the ERV3 is pricey, but worth it.

Motofun352, NemesisR6 and DaveB like this.
  7. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I use the GP chain dont remember the brand. I like it better than the ERV3 its lighter and last just as long. But it is 220 bucks.

EK - 520 3D GP CHAIN (ROAD RACE

That one... the website has it listed for 270. But I remember it being around 220.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

We run the 3D chain and it is a improvement over the previous chains IMO. Not really that much more money IIRC, can look when I get to the shop. My cost may have been 15-20$ more.

track wagon likes this.
  9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I mean, I am all about running the best parts I can afford, but when people say it is a improvement, we are talking about on paper only right? Can anyone really tell the difference riding?

BTW, I also have been running ERV3 for a while with no concerns.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It is lighter and seems to have less rolling resistance.

My cost is thirty dollars more on the 3D versus the ERV3. Retail is fifty more though. Seems like pretty cheap gains to me.

I can ALWAYS feel the difference in a new chain. How much of that is different from a new X chain is arguable.
    Would be interesting to see back to back dyno tests comparing them.

If you are in the market for a chain PM me and I’ll sell you a 3D for cost and you can judge for yourself.

Boman Forklift likes this.