1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Rods

Discussion in 'Tech' started by EnvyCycles, Jun 9, 2018.

1. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Hey guys,

Im trying to order some rod bearing for this R6 motor but the rods have no etching on the sides.
    Can not see anything not even residue.

Are these garbage?

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Don't re use R6 rods, get new ones. Cheapest insurance you can buy. They get out of round.

3. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Rick when this guy wants the same rods in I can not control that.

I'm only ordering for him.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

are they even stamped "13S" ? for the 08 or later rods ?

5. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Greg they are 13s

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Express to him that reusing r6 rods results in blowed up engines, or at least a high probability of a severely damaged one, if not completely ruined.

Hard to believe some doesn’t see the value in professional advice...

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

....and, if the customer is still adamant on re-using well more power too him, and then you can collect more from him when he comes back with a blown motor that needs overhauling subsequently.

8. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

Order the YEC kit rods they are a matching set, same with the pistons

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. MELK-MAN

lets pretend he ordered new OEM rods..
    it's the number stamped on the crank that dictates what rod bearings you use isn't it ? i think the combo of case # stamp and crank number dictate the main bearing color (ps, i don't build motors, i have just enough know how to be dangerous in this area)

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Right, that's in theory, in practice you'll get blamed every day until Sunday even with a signed waiver and a stamped seal of notary. :D

11. Blue Junk

You use crank stamp and a number on the rod. It’s the same as the crank and case number to get mains, this you use rod and crank to get rod bearings.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Blue Junk

I envision the customer being notified, not doing rods, then the thing spinning a bearing or worse in the dyno during break-in/tuning. Not super likely, but definitely not outside the realm of possibility. The customer isn’t gonna excited to pay for anything at that point.

Anyways, carry on...

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No, there's some math involved that uses the rod marking, subtracts the crank markings. The main bearings use the numbers on the case. There's also a weight range stamp (letter) on the rod. Proper method would be to install bearings, measure the ID of the torqued rod big end with bearing, then measure the crank journal and compute oil clearance. Use a different bearing to get what you want. No stamped numbers theoretically necessary. What you will find with used stock rods is that they are not round so the oil clearance varies.

Almost every R6 rod I have ever seen is 5E. Occasionally 5H. I'd recommend to Darwin that he set the rods up as 5 and plastigage if he does not have bore gauges and micrometers to measure with.

And yes, the engine builder gets blamed if it blows up almost every time. Therefore, my recommendation to use new rods.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

So here is the story behind this question.
    Im not doing the work.
    Guy calls me from overseas and wants me to order him bearings only. I asked him for the crank numbers and rod numbers and that was the situation.
    When I told him to replace the rods and I told him the price he told me he can just buy another engine. LOL
    I told him with out the rod numbers I can not order him anything. I even offered him some used rods I have that are 5H and he did not want to spend the extra 100 bucks.

Rick since I checked thru a box where I have a bunch of old rods and all where 5 he decided to go ahead and go with 5 as the number and ordered him that.

15. Schwiz

Schwiz Well-Known Member

It's hard to fix cheap, but its impossible to fix stupid.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Is it not possible to re-machine the rods round? I know its common in automotive, so there must a reason its not done?

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A new rod assembly is about $98 from yamaha. I would imagine the re-con of a rod would be around $50 ish plus the new fastners from Marine or similar machine shop

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

What he said. They are cheap. It makes no sense to reuse them.Trust me, I learned the hard way.

19. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, use new rods. Use the rod bolts in the new rods to size up the proper bearings. In my opinion, do the math on the proper bearing Yamaha calls out for and start with one size smaller (tighter clearance). When finished sizing, discard the rod bolts and press in brand new rod bolts to assemble. Order and use the latest (BN6) part number. Definitely Mo Bettah

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  20. MELK-MAN

been using 1 smaller bearing for a long time now, with success..
    did you mean use the old rod bolts to measure clearances, then press in the new bolts that came with the new rods.. or use new bolts for both measuring and assembly. ?